Kung Fu vs MMA

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's pretty much my point. I don't see competition as an end point. It's something that (under the right ruleset) could be fun. But I can't really see myself being overly concerned with winning. I'm more focused on the not-losing/winning when I consider self-defense, for exactly the reason you point out.

So you are not worried about winning or loosing now. But assume you will be in a real fight.

Where I am focused on winning and loosing now so I am prepared for a real fight.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are not worried about winning or loosing now. But assume you will be in a real fight.

Where I am focused on winning and loosing now so I am prepared for a real fight.
I am focused on winning/losing when I train. Competition just doesn't bring that out in me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am focused on winning/losing when I train. Competition just doesn't bring that out in me.

Bring what out? There is no brought out.

You train and control your mindset. You don't walk in to a fight hoping some sort of mindset will just happen.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exept being terribly mysterious is a cop out. And every one sees it.

We specifically do that punch in that manner because.............

No .. nothing mysterious. It is what it is. It also has more than one way to use it. Noobs don't get every way right off the bat & if you're looking from the outside not knowing what it is, you only see the face of the technique.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No .. nothing mysterious. It is what it is. It also has more than one way to use it. Noobs don't get every way right off the bat & if you're looking from the outside not knowing what it is, you only see the face of the technique.

One that you can't explain either. Which says something about the technique.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You train and control your mindset. You don't walk in to a fight hoping some sort of mindset will just happen.
Yeah, you clearly don't get what I'm saying. I don't have the energy to say it another way. Not worth it when you get this attitude.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, you clearly don't get what I'm saying. I don't have the energy to say it another way. Not worth it when you get this attitude.

Seems pretty clear. Your training is motivated by mood.

Mood's a thing for cattle and loveplay, not fighting!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Oh, I don't know, what you said kind of describes my personal movement, and attitude actually. I don't walk into a fight, kind of explode into them. But the mind set does kind of just happen. It's like, "Oh, hey, we're fighting now!"

Unless I've seen it coming, then it's concealed. Part of my training over the years has always been to relax, especially the mind. I'm too easy to read otherwise (so I'm told) at least against experienced predators.

Kind of the same in competition. I always entered them fully expecting to win. But in the actual matches, I've always tried to appear almost bored, which usually worked well for me.

But on the flip side of the coin - I don't think I've ever been focused on winning or losing when I train. I'll have to think on that for a bit.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know, what you said kind of describes my personal movement, and attitude actually. I don't walk into a fight, kind of explode into them. But the mind set does kind of just happen. It's like, "Oh, hey, we're fighting now!"

Unless I've seen it coming, then it's concealed. Part of my training over the years has always been to relax, especially the mind. I'm too easy to read otherwise (so I'm told) at least against experienced predators.

Kind of the same in competition. I always entered them fully expecting to win. But in the actual matches, I've always tried to appear almost bored, which usually worked well for me.

But on the flip side of the coin - I don't think I've ever been focused on winning or losing when I train. I'll have to think on that for a bit.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A cow moos, the cows last night mooed. Loosing is not the same thing as losing. Just saying. :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions