Kung Fu San Soo Uni's

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
After watching the KFSS clips I posted earlier, someone asked me a good question: Why are they wearing gis and belts?

Short answer is this (I wasn't there, so am going by what I've read, or heard from instructors): When Jimmy Woo first got his El Monte studio up and running in late 50s/early 60s, no one had hear of kung fu (took the TV character 'Caine' in the 70s to do that). So, Jimmy called his art Karate Kung Fu (musta killed him). And so with the name, the uniform followed. I'm also guessing Japanese/Okinawan gis were the only MA uniforms you could get then, anyway.

Once everyone is in gis (tho I've seen Jimmy in a white gi, black gi, kung fu silks with no shirt, formal silks, dress pants and wifebeater undershirt while teaching, and probably some other things too), the belts inevitably followed. At first, Jimmy decided he'd be the only black belt, and everyone else would be white belts. This eventually changed to colored belts (yellow, green, brown), and nine degrees of black, 9th being Master.

This is all for formal settings/showings, tho. In studio workouts, you see everything from full uniform, to gi pants and T shirt, to cut off sleeve T shirt and shorts--but almost always with a belt.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info.
icon14.gif

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After watching the KFSS clips I posted earlier, someone asked me a good question: Why are they wearing gis and belts?

Short answer is this (I wasn't there, so am going by what I've read, or heard from instructors): When Jimmy Woo first got his El Monte studio up and running in late 50s/early 60s, no one had hear of kung fu (took the TV character 'Caine' in the 70s to do that). So, Jimmy called his art Karate Kung Fu (musta killed him). And so with the name, the uniform followed. I'm also guessing Japanese/Okinawan gis were the only MA uniforms you could get then, anyway.

Once everyone is in gis (tho I've seen Jimmy in a white gi, black gi, kung fu silks with no shirt, formal silks, dress pants and wifebeater undershirt while teaching, and probably some other things too), the belts inevitably followed. At first, Jimmy decided he'd be the only black belt, and everyone else would be white belts. This eventually changed to colored belts (yellow, green, brown), and nine degrees of black, 9th being Master.

This is all for formal settings/showings, tho. In studio workouts, you see everything from full uniform, to gi pants and T shirt, to cut off sleeve T shirt and shorts--but almost always with a belt.
Yeah, I always liked Jimmy's wifebeater undershirt look, LOL.

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My instrustor said that the silk Chinese uniforms available at the time would not hold up to the throws that are used in San Soo - but that a mid - to heavyweight gi is meant for that type of abuse. Now, many of us in class wear a gi bottom with a school t-shirt, and from time to time the t-shirts get a bit out of shape.

Another Kung Fu instructor told me once years ago that San Soo can't be Kung Fu since the practitioners wear gi's. Funny.

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instrustor said that the silk Chinese uniforms available at the time would not hold up to the throws that are used in San Soo - but that a mid - to heavyweight gi is meant for that type of abuse.
Interesting. I have also heard the 'frog' buttons are not real comfortable for all the moving and falling we do in KFSS.
Now, many of us in class wear a gi bottom with a school t-shirt, and from time to time the t-shirts get a bit out of shape.
Yes, thank you. I forgot to mention that the full gi is often only worn for 'events' (as making a video for YouTube :)) and that in class people are often less formal. I've even seen some shorts and T Shirts, although everyone wears a rank belt.

Another Kung Fu instructor told me once years ago that San Soo can't be Kung Fu since the practitioners wear gi's. Funny.
:lfao:

Well one thing we do know is, it ain't pretty like that instructor's brand probably was--just very effective. :ultracool

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. I have also heard the 'frog' buttons are not real comfortable for all the moving and falling we do in KFSS.
Yes, thank you. I forgot to mention that the full gi is often only worn for 'events' (as making a video for YouTube :)) and that in class people are often less formal. I've even seen some shorts and T Shirts, although everyone wears a rank belt.

:lfao:

Well one thing we do know is, it ain't pretty like that instructor's brand probably was--just very effective. :ultracool
Amen.

streetwise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
CMA people get pretty worked up over the "what do you wear when training" question. IMHO, if you throw, grab or grapple the gi is hard to beat. At one kwoon that would not allow me to wear the gi, I had to stock up on cheap Tshirts at the surplus store since I could not afford to keep tearing up $20 logo'd shirts the Sifu was selling.

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
CMA people get pretty worked up over the "what do you wear when training" question. IMHO, if you throw, grab or grapple the gi is hard to beat. At one kwoon that would not allow me to wear the gi, I had to stock up on cheap Tshirts at the surplus store since I could not afford to keep tearing up $20 logo'd shirts the Sifu was selling.

Yep :lol:

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yep :lol:

Kidswarrior - do you study at Dave Hopkins' studio? Paul Borisoff has good things to say about him.

If you're ever in the San Fernando Valley, stop by at Paul's studio and say
" 'ello".

A few of us are going to the San Soo picnic this year, so hopefully we'll see some cool demo's and some new faces.

Latest Discussions