Kung Fu in mainland China- a discussion?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mao and traditional kung fu in mainland China. The Communist revolution China appears to have had devastating
results in mainland China. Bad enough when Mao came to power- much worse with the Cultural revolution.
Chen taiji survived despite terrorization by Red guards. Chen Xiao wang has brought about a great revival
despite the damage to his father. Some Xing Yi and Pakua folks went to Taiwan, SEsia and elsewhere.

Later showy wu shu emerged."Martial" became an unwelcome legacy.

In wing chun-Ip Man left for Macau and then Hong Kong.Even though a couple of his early disciples were left behind IM took much with him.
Neither WSL or HKM thought that any good wing chun was left on the mainland.
Then with videos you see the see-do versions. But then even in the UK and US video watchers seem to abound.
I am just sharing a view point.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

But since so many of them went "underground" or practiced in remote areas, how would they know? Sum Nun's students seemed to have survived and done well in Guang Dong. The Pin Sun guys were still going strong in Ku Lo village.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The thing to always take into consideration on mainland china, pre-mao and doubly so when Mao was in power is...the nail that stands up gets pounded down.

ivanr

White Belt
Reaction score
People in China have experienced hard times, no doubt.

But who says that good/traditional kung fu in China is not survived is either a) idiot, b) uninformed. BTW - you know that in China is no anymore good Chinese cuisine? All good cooks emigrated to the Holy America or Taiwan ... When i went first time to China, i was under strong influence of european "Hong Kong Yip Man Wing Chun" people and their silly ideas about that thema. Most of them mix of both cathegoryes a) + b), with very few exceptions. I expected in China "the worst" and found "the best"!
Most interesting thing is, most of that "experts" never went to China and have not even basic knowledge of cantonese or chinese. They just repeat, repeat, repeat something very stupid.

Problem is, how to find your teacher over there - to many, and to many same like in other coutryes, rubish... And then - communication. Sometimes people are looking for apple in computer store.

But again - people in China, so kung fu people too, have experienced hard times, no doubt...

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And then - communication. Sometimes people are looking for apple in computer store....

Apple? In a computer store? Do you mean the fruit or the computer? And, do you realize you have just made a pun illustrating the problems of miscommunication?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And then - communication. Sometimes people are looking for apple in computer store....

Apple? In a computer store? Do you mean the fruit or the computer? And, do you realize you have just made a pun illustrating the problems of miscommunication? :D

So did you study a branch of Yip Man Wing Chun before? And now you follow a mainland instructor? Why not share a little about yourself and your experiences?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
well, you generally do not find apples

20091112230937.jpg

In a computer store

hpM6_2_03.jpg

You also do not find computers in the Apple store

grandarcade_hero.jpg

Or at least that is what a Mac user will tell you....

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apple? In a computer store? Do you mean the fruit or the computer? And, do you realize you have just made a pun illustrating the problems of miscommunication? :D

So did you study a branch of Yip Man Wing Chun before? And now you follow a mainland instructor? Why not share a little about yourself and your experiences?

Ivan is probably more well-traveled than Sergio! It would be great to hear some of his insights and experiences with mainland Chinese instructors. How about it Ivan? I know you spent a lot of time with Wong Nim Yi? Who else have you studied with? Thanks!

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mao and traditional kung fu in mainland China. The Communist revolution China appears to have had devastating
results in mainland China. Bad enough when Mao came to power- much worse with the Cultural revolution.
Chen taiji survived despite terrorization by Red guards. Chen Xiao wang has brought about a great revival
despite the damage to his father. Some Xing Yi and Pakua folks went to Taiwan, SEsia and elsewhere.

Later showy wu shu emerged."Martial" became an unwelcome legacy.

In wing chun-Ip Man left for Macau and then Hong Kong.Even though a couple of his early disciples were left behind IM took much with him.
Then with videos you see the see-do versions. But then even in the UK and US video watchers seem to abound.

You are saying that all of the pin sun, kulo, yks and other wing chun that has been creeping out of the woodwork in various places is made up by watching YM wing chun and that real wing chun died in China?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wang Zhi Peng is Wing Chun and in Beijing, but he may be YM lineage.

There is another lineage on Mainland, but I cannot remember the name of that version

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are saying that all of the pin sun, kulo, yks and other wing chun that has been creeping out of the woodwork in various places is made up by watching YM wing chun and that real wing chun died in China?

I saw Joy's post. I didn't read that. Anybody else read that?

Actually, I was a little confused . It was something about these:

2013-sea-doo-gti-se-action6-smaller-for-blog.jpg

You know, I've never ridden one of them see-do thingies.

OP
V

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

2013-sea-doo-gti-se-action6-smaller-for-blog.jpg

OP
V

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. some- but it is a challenge at times.
We get the water that California, agribusinesses, utilities
and golf courses dont use up

Last edited:

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

What did you read?

It doesn't seem to say much to me.

Is it a kind of clever in-joke?

n wing chun-Ip Man left for Macau and then Hong Kong.Even though a couple of his early disciples were left behind IM took much with him.

Understand this bit. WSL and HKM thought no wing chun left in China. Ok

Then with videos you see the see-do versions.

What's a see-do version? I would guess a wing chun made up fro watching someone else do wing chun. Is this what Joy means and what is the point? Is it that Joy thinks WSL and HKM correct in their assumptions? See-do versions from where? China? HK?

But then even in the UK and US video watchers seem to abound.

Would assume this means Joy is saying that lots of people copy these made up wing chuns? Again from where, China or HK? I can think of potential examples from both places.

What is your point of view? Post is about as clear as mud.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is your point of view? Post is about as clear as mud.

I read the same post as you Guy, and think you understood it pretty much the same way I did. So anyway, ...ever ride on a "Sea-Doo"? Looks more fun than a red boat. But less room to train long pole. :(