Kukkiwon certification

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is one thing that worries me about this conversation: am I going to fail the Master course because I don't know how to do an Americana or ground-fighting position changes? Since my goal is to become a Master and open my own school, I kind of feel like I'm wasting my time if I'm not going to qualify.

Mr WaterGal says the only physical techniques he was tested on were KKW forms. Then there was some testing on academic knowledge, like dan testing requirements, the history of Taekwondo and so forth, which they taught in the class. They were taught some self-defense techniques in the class, but weren't tested on them.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr WaterGal says the only physical techniques he was tested on were KKW forms. Then there was some testing on academic knowledge, like dan testing requirements, the history of Taekwondo and so forth, which they taught in the class. They were taught some self-defense techniques in the class, but weren't tested on them.
Out of curiosity, when did Mr. Watergal take the class?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He went to the one you linked to earlier, actually. The one in Denver in 2017.

Interesting. That's encouraging, because it's after the 2016 one that @andyjeffries mentioned earlier. I was worried that he did his earlier (say 2010) and the course was updated with a new test after that.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Just for the record it was the same on the course in Korea in 2013 and 2016, a couple of Kukkiwon forms in front of senior 9th Dan examiners and a multiple choice written test.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking to get Kukkiwon certified and be able to help my students do the same. A little background: I have trainined Chung Do Kwan TKD for 20 years and my school is primarily a CDK TKD school that incorporates concepts of other systems I currently train or have trained in the past. We focus on the practical side of martial arts and not so much on sport; we allow trips, takedowns, and punches to the head when free sparring above 7th gup. We follow Kukki poomsae (taegeuk) but incorporate some karate Kata from back in the early days of Chung Do Kwan such as Bassai (balsek), Empi (yumbee), and Kushanku (Kosokun). I have been certified By Chung Do Kwan up to 4th dan but never opted for Kukkiwon certification when it was offered for no reason other than the extra cost and I had no additional money. Due to what I felt was a growing cult mentality, declining standards, and a very closed mindset my school left the Chung Do Kwan last year. Now The only certificates I can offer my students are our own schools certificates (which seems to be fine for our students) but I would like to be able to offer our black belts the opportunity to get international recognition through Kukkiwon certification if they want it.

Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance
I was part of a school in theb80s/90s that was TKD but not ITF or KKW. We did hyungs and poomsae and both types of sparring. Was 5th dan then GM passed and locals wouldn't allow us at events anymore as black belts /poom cause we didn't have KKW certificates.
I met a GM who was running a supply store and he asked why not go to Korea and test. I had little money so he said " show me your poomsae and side kick". He immediately knew who my instructor was and sent in my application for 3rd dan with all supporting school certificates and a timeline of training plus list of teachers.
3rd dan arrived in 2 months. 5 years later I went to a seminar and took a test at the end. Was 300+ the first day in Vegas. Were 214 on test day. Many left after their technique was criticized harsher than they were used too and many just were not up to scratch. Around 30 didn't even know their poomsae.
There was an Olympian there who tested for her 6th dan and she was on!
Anyway I passed and then set up through KMS and started doing official tests (even before passing the dan/poom examiners course/instructors license course).
That was my story for TKD. My students liked it but it only a few were ever asked for it. Usually on college applications or training at college to prove rank.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was part of a school in theb80s/90s that was TKD but not ITF or KKW. We did hyungs and poomsae and both types of sparring. Was 5th dan then GM passed and locals wouldn't allow us at events anymore as black belts /poom cause we didn't have KKW certificates.
I met a GM who was running a supply store and he asked why not go to Korea and test. I had little money so he said " show me your poomsae and side kick". He immediately knew who my instructor was and sent in my application for 3rd dan with all supporting school certificates and a timeline of training plus list of teachers.
3rd dan arrived in 2 months. 5 years later I went to a seminar and took a test at the end. Was 300+ the first day in Vegas. Were 214 on test day. Many left after their technique was criticized harsher than they were used too and many just were not up to scratch. Around 30 didn't even know their poomsae.
There was an Olympian there who tested for her 6th dan and she was on!
Anyway I passed and then set up through KMS and started doing official tests (even before passing the dan/poom examiners course/instructors license course).
That was my story for TKD. My students liked it but it only a few were ever asked for it. Usually on college applications or training at college to prove rank.
If I may ask, who was your GM who passed? Just wondering if I knew him.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I may ask, who was your GM who passed? Just wondering if I knew him.
Baek, Moon Ku. Was a direct student of Hwang Kee and along with his brothers were seniors in moodukwan before war forced them south. He was at the 1st military base, with Choi, Hong Hi, as a teacher. He left for Colorado in late 50's early 60's to teach at rocky mountain TKD (Serrif) and promoted Serrif to 2nd Dan. Moved to Florida and taught at a JCC before settling in Ohio. He was there til he lost interest in teaching and sold his schools, opening a line of sandwich ships called Hero's. Moved to san diego in the 80's and owned a school, while others taught for him, until his passing in 1997 from liver cancer. RIP

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Baek, Moon Ku. Was a direct student of Hwang Kee and along with his brothers were seniors in moodukwan before war forced them south. He was at the 1st military base, with Choi, Hong Hi, as a teacher. He left for Colorado in late 50's early 60's to teach at rocky mountain TKD (Serrif) and promoted Serrif to 2nd Dan. Moved to Florida and taught at a JCC before settling in Ohio. He was there til he lost interest in teaching and sold his schools, opening a line of sandwich ships called Hero's. Moved to san diego in the 80's and owned a school, while others taught for him, until his passing in 1997 from liver cancer. RIP
I can’t say I knew him for certain . Sounds like he had moved out of the southeast before I started training.
I possibly met him in Florida if he was involved in the WT(F) sparring circuit in the ‘80’s.

Latest Discussions