Help Trying to find the "Right" martial art

Benziel

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for reading, Im trying to find a MA for me and I really need some guidance. Ok, I was looking for a MA that uses weapons in general, so I figured out kendo was my calling, but then I watched some videos on the kendo style and I figured out it wasnt what I was looking for. So I learned I was looking for a MA that involves weapons (example a katana or a bamboo sword), that is fast paced, that you can spar with a partner and that a "round" lasts more than a few seconds (Unlike kendo that they clash for like 5 seconds and separate to do that again for 5 seconds). So as you can see Im a lil' picky ^_^ but any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First welcome to the site hope you enjoy it.
On to your question which is why you are here, in all my years the best way to tell is going to certain school doing a few classes and see what really fits for you. This is truely the only way.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you have previous experience in martial arts? Because studying weapons usually depends on some (or a lot) of fluency in unarmed combat. are you learning MA for self defense or just the art because I don't think you'll be able to carry a sword around with you all the time.

Maybe Fencing? Sounds like you wanna sword fight.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome, and be assured, there is a martial art for everyone. You have to have a general idea what you want, and then 'shop' well.

I think Omar may have an excellent idea....based on what you've said, it sounds as if epee or sabre in Western fencing would be good for you to try. We had a club in college and epee is a definite rush...... yet be aware the experts are like their Japanese brothers in Kendo: They will scan you for weaknesses and then explosively attack. Unless you have a winning parry and then riposte, it can be over just as quickly and violently as a kendo match.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
was looking for. So I learned I was looking for a MA that involves weapons (example a katana or a bamboo sword), that is fast paced, that you can spar with a partner and that a "round" lasts more than a few seconds (Unlike kendo that they clash for like 5 seconds and separate to do that again for 5 seconds). So as you can see Im a lil' picky ^_^ but any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Unfortunately, real weapons fights (incl sparring) are nothing like in the movies. 2 people are not hacking into each other for minutes on end. A real swordfight lasts seconds. After that, one of the 2 is usually mortally wounded.

So in kendo, you engage, one of the 2 is 'dead' after a couple of seconds, after which you try again. Life ain't hollywood :)

That said, have you looked at escrima or arnis? Those are stick based arts.
Or perhaps fencing?
Or filipino martial arts (knife fighting).

It depends on what is available in your area. Have you tried contacting the local mayors / district / county /whatever office? There is usually a deparment that knows about all the sports and MA clubs in the neighborhood

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for reading, Im trying to find a MA for me and I really need some guidance. Ok, I was looking for a MA that uses weapons in general, so I figured out kendo was my calling, but then I watched some videos on the kendo style and I figured out it wasnt what I was looking for. So I learned I was looking for a MA that involves weapons (example a katana or a bamboo sword), that is fast paced, that you can spar with a partner and that a "round" lasts more than a few seconds (Unlike kendo that they clash for like 5 seconds and separate to do that again for 5 seconds). So as you can see Im a lil' picky ^_^ but any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

I'd definitely check out the Filipino Martial Arts (FMAs). You begin training with weapons, and then transition to empty hand work. Another art I'm just experimenting with is Rapier Fencing. Unlike sport fencing, you can score cuts as well as thrusts and move freely in all directions. Bouts between equally matched opponents can last for a while... it's a great workout. Our instructor will be introducing us to historical Italian saber dueling next. I'm hoping that I will be able to adapt more of my Eskrima training, since it is more dominantly a cut and slash weapon compared to the emphasis on thrusting with the rapier.

At any rate, research what is available to you and good luck!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok, First, a real fight with weapons or with out is usually over in seconds. the second is what is near you??
3rd is have you looked at some of the Okinawan arts? they teach weapons and unarmed combat.

that said, perhaps what you do want is western fencing, saber or one of the other styles there in?

When its for real its nothing like in the movies or even in most western fencing matches on the strip. in a few seconds some one is badly injured or dieing nine times out of ten.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rather than the kill bill style of swordfighting, a real swordfight probably went more like this when duelling was still done:

It's a duelling clip from the black and white movie '7 Samurai'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
It also nicely captures the tendency to resolve the average duels with bokken, which emerged in later period. It followed the use of the bokken as a training weapon, which essentially furthered swordmanship in Japan in general. If not because making mistakes became more of a learning experience than a flirt with the reaper, than at least because it meant fewer students (and even sensei) got bits and pieces chopped of that were quite neccessary for holding a sword and fighting with it.

OT: I have some experience with escrima and it is generally good fun. At times it has the playful feeling you see at capoeira, but there's less acrobatics, and people generally hit you with sticks (or daggers / swords, but nobody sane spars with real weapons I guess). If you're looking for a more rounded art I suggest you either try kobudo (okinawan weapons generally), Katori shinto ryu also teaches weapon techniques and it is a highly respected tradional art (to the point it was recognized by the Japanese governement as cultural heritage or some such thing).

Obviously, genbukan would be a good option too (bujinkan or jinenkan too obviously. I can't speak for Bujinkan or jinenkan, but I in genbukan it will take quite some time before you are eligeble to properly grade in bikenjutsu or any other weaponart for that matter. However, since you will have devoted a lot of time on taijutsu by than, you are quite likely to become a better martial artist, be it with or without a weapon, you always need to incorperate proper taijutsu. A sword does not mean you can no longer kick, lock, evade or escape.

In escrima you learn these things once you get a bit more familiar with your sticks, using weapons to lock and hold and such things. But, if you want to know more about escrima, indeed the best thing to do (as for any other art) is go see for yourself and try it out.

oh, one other thing. You say you are looking for a weapons art involving immediate sparring with a weapon. A word of caution is in order though. You may think you will excell at once, but truth of it is that before you get any good at sparring in any art, you usually will have suffered quite a few good beatings yourself. The problem with contactfighting with weapons is that it can be dangerous, unless proper protective wear is chosen. Which brings me to the third option you have, although it is a bit harder to find i suppose: Historic European Fighting arts. Medieval European swordfighting is actually more and more emerging as a martial art on its own, even though it is still more or less in its infancy. If you find a good training hall it can be very fulfilling though. And i get the impression from your post that this might be exactly what you are looking for. Many people still think martial arts should be asian. Strange, perhaps, considering the fact that the west has its own rich and long history of instruction in the fighting arts. Anyway, this forum has a special secion for medieaval arts, i suggest you check it out.

whatever you choose to do, I wish you a stout heart and a resolute mind. Good luck.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rather than the kill bill style of swordfighting, a real swordfight probably went more like this when duelling was still done:
It's a duelling clip from the black and white movie '7 Samurai'.

The alternative to disengaging and starting over after the first hit (which would be deadly) would be something like this:

I didn't post this to offend, but to illustrate that there is a reason for disengaging and starting over for sparring purposes.
And also because it is just plain funny of course :)

Last edited by a moderator: