Krav Maga Q&A

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Browsing around various Krav Maga threads I've noticed many people are looking for info about the style.

You may have had some bad experience with the style due to McDojoisation, frauds and the likes, but I live in a country where the hype never existed since it came into existence and evolved here.

I consider myself knowledgable in how the system works, so I'd be glad to answer any and all questions related to Krav Maga. Feel free.

~ Loki

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There is a "great" story in this months Black Belt magazine (April 2005) about the military Krav Maga and how it got started in the Israeli army. It mentions about "Moni Aizik and "Lichtenfeld" who tested all the different techniques. Kept the ones they like and threw away the ones that did't work for them. The purpose was to keep it simple, easy to teach, easy to learn, and "works"

Reminds me of what Bruce Lee was trying to do with his arts! .....Aloha

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
When Lichtenfeld went civilian, he started teaching Krav Maga as a hybrid, meaning he literally taught what he thought was effective from other systems like Judo, Aikido and Ju-Jitsu, and that was Krav Maga. It had very little of it's own curriculum. The military Krav Maga was inapplicable to civilian life. What are the chances of being attacked by a guy with an uzi? So with time, Imi Lichtenfeld and his first students adjusted and changed Krav Maga, incorporating new techniques and even inventing on occasion.

Bruce Lee and Imi were active in creating their own styles around the same time, Lee just made it popular earlier on :)

~ Loki

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Loki said:
When Lichtenfeld went civilian, he started teaching Krav Maga as a hybrid, meaning he literally taught what he thought was effective from other systems like Judo, Aikido and Ju-Jitsu, and that was Krav Maga.
So am I to assume from your statement that Krav Maga has a lot of take-downs, throws, and locks? Are these more predominant than strikes?

- Ceicei

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:
I've got a question: How popular would you say civilian Krav Maga is in Israel compared to other martial arts that are taught there commercially?
Pretty popular. Just about everyone I know attended Krav Maga for some period of time. Most drop out pretty fast, but everyone knows what Krav Maga is. Though more traditional styles like Judo, Karate and TKD are probably more popular. We're still developing. :uhyeah:

~ Loki

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
So am I to assume from your statement that Krav Maga has a lot of take-downs, throws, and locks? Are these more predominant than strikes?

- Ceicei
No, strikes are more predominant. Imi's original civilian Krav Maga went through many changes before it became what it is today. The techniques you described are used less often because they're more complicated than a simple jab to the face. Locks, for example, aren't used unless you don't want to hurt someone too badly.

~ Loki