Korean sword Hwando is not a copy of Katana; it predates Katana

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no record of King James the First of Scotland throwing anyone out, he had a very eventful life though and ended up being murdered in 1437 CE.
King James the First of England was later but still doesn't have any record of throwing Scots out of Scotland.

I'm pretty sure exile was common enough, during that time period, and I assume @Xue Sheng is referring to something of that sort, on a more individual basis, rather than some sweeping banishment of an entire group.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There's no record of King James the First of Scotland throwing anyone out, he had a very eventful life though and ended up being murdered in 1437 CE.
King James the First of England was later but still doesn't have any record of throwing Scots out of Scotland.

Sure tell that to my ancestors :D

Actually it may have been the VI, or whomever came after Elizabeth 1......

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure exile was common enough, during that time period, and I assume @Xue Sheng is referring to something of that sort, on a more individual basis, rather than some sweeping banishment of an entire group.

It was not an entire group, well it was, but not large. They were Protestant, but as the story goes they were also not fond of following English laws either so they ended up in Ireland for a bit. I use to work with a man from Scotland and when I mentioned it to him he seemed to be pretty familiar with this happening around the time I mentioned

And I gave the wrong name of the monarch in question...kinda sorta... it was James, but not the first. It was James the 6th

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was not an entire group, well it was, but not large. They were Protestant, but as the story goes they were also not fond of following English laws either so they ended up in Ireland for a bit. I use to work with a man from Scotland and when I mentioned it to him he seemed to be pretty familiar with this happening around the time I mentioned

And I gave the wrong name of the monarch in question...kinda sorta... it was James, but not the first. It was James the 6th

Ah and hereby is one of the banes of my life, one that has cost many lives and is still doing so.
You are talking about the Ulster Scots. They won't have been thrown out of Scotland but went to Ireland to as part of James VI 'Plantation of Ireland, colonising Roman Catholic Ireland with Protestants. and from that we have the continuing Catholic v Protestant problems that are still being fought over now ( there was another bombing in Londonderry/Derry just last week
Bishop Street: Suspected car bomb explodes outside Londonderry courthouse - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk )

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ah and hereby is one of the banes of my life, one that has cost many lives and is still doing so.
You are talking about the Ulster Scots. They won't have been thrown out of Scotland but went to Ireland to as part of James VI 'Plantation of Ireland, colonising Roman Catholic Ireland with Protestants. and from that we have the continuing Catholic v Protestant problems that are still being fought over now ( there was another bombing in Londonderry/Derry just last week
Bishop Street: Suspected car bomb explodes outside Londonderry courthouse - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk )

Except they were not Catholic, they were Protestant...which got them to leave Ireland because the Catholics wanted them dead...so they went to Nova Scotia...where the Catholics wanted them dead...so they went to Pennsylvania...and started a saw mill......not going to argue the point.....just family history as I was told. And I only have one Scotsman that I use to work with who seemed to be aware of this happening.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except they were not Catholic, they were Protestant...which got them to leave Ireland because the Catholics wanted them dead...so they went to Nova Scotia...where the Catholics wanted them dead...so they went to Pennsylvania...and started a saw mill......not going to argue the point.....just family history as I was told. And I only have one Scotsman that I use to work with who seemed to be aware of this happening.

Yes I know, the Scottish Protestants were sent to Ireland to colonise it, they sent so many that the Catholic community isn't expected to regain the majority they had before the Protestants were sent to colonise them until 2021.
The Protestant v Catholic strife had been going on since Henry the Eighth time. It has been a constant war there between the two groups since Henry's time that continues to the present. We have had major wars, persecutions and massacres because of the hatred between Catholics and Protestants. it is pervasive all through British history. The Jacobites were Catholics seeking to put a Catholic king on the throne, William and Mary came from the Netherlands to stop another Catholic getting the throne. Guy Fawkes and the gunpowder Plot was a Catholic one. Even today there cannot be a Catholic monarch. The Orange Lodges, Protestants, still march through the Catholic areas in Northern Ireland causing riots. It's more than just a family story, so I'm not arguing with you. The story is enormous spanning centuries and doesn't seem likely to end anytime soon, the Good Friday Agreement is very fragile and recent events may mean it will fall soon.

BBC - History - Wars and Conflicts - Plantation of Ulster - Ulster Scots

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The earliest use of Korean swords were found to be bronze imports from China and bronze age production started around the 1st Century. Steel making techniques did not arrive until around 450 AD from China. The "Hwando" was a one handed sword with a single edge. In appearance, it looked similar to the Chinese "Jian", which was double edged. Until around the 3rd century, swords were reserved for royalty and high ranking officials and were not in use by the common soldier. In the later part of the Three Kingdoms period, swords were used by calvary and other mounted commanders. They were not used by the infantry (foot soldiers). It wasn't until the Joseon period 15th to 19th centuries) that swords were greater in number and usage and were carried by infantry.

The Japanese utilized a straight sword "tachi" prior to the Mongol invasion. This changed how the sword was used and made after problems with the blades chipping and breaking. The first reference to a sword outside of a "tachi" was called an "uchigatana" in 1185 and was probably the early version of the katana. By the early 1400's, what we think of as a "katana" was in use and carried in the manner which it is still today (cutting edge up).

Soooo...where does that leave things? Yes, the "Hwando" (a single edge, one handed straight sword) predated the "Katana" (a single edge, one handed curved sword). Not sure the relevancy of the topic or where you are trying to go with it?
Totally agree with that last sentence.

Latest Discussions