Kong Soo Do

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is Chang Hon the older form of TKD, or did he change to that for his current teaching?
It really depends on which version of Jhoon Rhee TKD you are talking about.

Jhoon Rhee is one of the more senior graduates from the Chung Do Kwan from before the kwan unification period that led to taekwondo. Thus he would have originally studied Korean karate/Shotokan kata initially.

He moved to the US and was involved with General Choi's ITF for a while before ultimately separating to do his own thing. For years he used the Chang Hon patterns and he even wrote a series of books published by Ohara that detailed their execution. People from Jhoon Rhee's lines perform the patterns without the characteristic ITF sine wave because he had separated from General Choi well before sine wave had evolved into today's interpretation.

Mr. Rhee also developed his own set of patterns to be performed to music. The forms depart to an extent from other forms of TKD, representing Mr. Rhee's preferences such as a high guard, etc. Most dojang currently affiliated with Mr. Rhee use his original creations in their curriculum up to/including 1st degree black belt. Afterwards, they start working in the Chang Hon forms.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The genericness or lack thereof of taekwondo would be an interesting topic of discussion on its own. T'would be interesting to see the responses.

Daniel

In the general Korean section yesterday I started a thread similar to this i.e. what is the common/general perception of TKD, HKD and TSD.

No wrong answers, just wanted to see if there were any common threads.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Daniel Sullivan and Dancingalone. All that I think I remember is that we did what were called H forms at the white belt level. We may have had one at the 8th Green, but I am not sure. I surely don't recall any of the names of any of the forms at 7th Green.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks Daniel Sullivan and Dancingalone. All that I think I remember is that we did what were called H forms at the white belt level. We may have had one at the 8th Green, but I am not sure. I surely don't recall any of the names of any of the forms at 7th Green.

Sounds like you were among his first students if you studied with Mr. Rhee in the sixties. Did you do the Taikyoku kata? Many people call those h forms. The first step is 90 degree turn to the left with a down block, then step forward with a right lunge punch.

Mr. Rhee himself was the head examiner at my chodan examination. The forms we used then were the Chang Hon forms, although the very first one was a simple 8-count one called ''Kahm Sam Nee Da" or Thank You/Courtesy/Appreciation.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had a similar transition in Tang Soo Do. My lineage goes back to the Moo Duk Kwan, however, in 2000, my teacher split off from the organization and simply called his art Tang Soo Do. If you go to his school now, you might be hard pressed to find anything that represents any stereotype of Tang Soo Do. The opening and closing ceremony are the same. The use of hyung and Korean terminology (sometimes) would be the same, but other then that, it's going to be very different then what a person expects when they think about Tang Soo Do.

The same goes for my school. When I opened my first school in 2001, I started to evolve away from what my teacher taught. Things change and I've become more of a student of karate in general. I've come to the point where I see what I do merging with an older view of kara te do and I pretty much use the term interchangeable with Tang Soo Do. When I want to give a nod back to my lineage, I talk about Tang Soo Do. When I want to talk about the present or the future, use the term kara-te do and I explain that they really just mean the same thing in the end.

Kong Soo Do sounds like he is doing something very similar. Thoughts?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kong Soo Do sounds like he is doing something very similar. Thoughts?

I always got the impression you were reconnecting with Okinawan karate and judo/jujutsu through your expression of Tang Soo Do. Kong Soo Do's training methodology seems more like advancing TKD/karate by embracing modern training theories, including those that go by the so-called 'reality based self-defense' moniker.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always got the impression you were reconnecting with Okinawan karate and judo/jujutsu through your expression of Tang Soo Do. Kong Soo Do's training methodology seems more like advancing TKD/karate by embracing modern training theories, including those that go by the so-called 'reality based self-defense' moniker.

Well, yeah, that's what I'm about as well. I don't get into the RBSD genre. However, I think that by reconnecting with those old roots, we are a more well rounded self defense art. That's the similarity.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your club is teaching taekwondo, then it should be called taekwondo. If you want to qualify it (traditional, practical, whatever) in order to better describe what you do, then that is fine. But if it is taekwondo, it should be called that.
What Kong Soo Do describes is definitely not taekwondo.

The problem is that what the International Kong Soo Do Association does doesn't look like Kong Soo Do either. I saw a video of GM Dunn (the head of the IKA) demonstrating that one form that they have developed and what he was doing looked more like some sort of cross between wing chun and empty handed filipino martial arts than karate. I didn't watch the whole thing, but what I saw looked like something else. I tried to look for it again, but can't find it.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, yeah, that's what I'm about as well. I don't get into the RBSD genre. However, I think that by reconnecting with those old roots, we are a more well rounded self defense art. That's the similarity.

I can't agree more.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always got the impression you were reconnecting with Okinawan karate and judo/jujutsu through your expression of Tang Soo Do.

One other thing that came up in my recent conversation with Gooden Sensei was the fact that "jujitsu", in its original form was techniques designed to fight against a fully armored samurai. He said that the idea was to take your armored opponent down to the ground and then stab him with a spike in the neck, or other area where the armor didn't cover. So for example, a "jujitsu" chop to the neck evolved from an ice pick grip dagger stab to the neck. We also had other conversations in the past in which he said that he wasn't a big believer in the pressure point knockout concept that so many practitioners are enamored with at the present.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One other thing that came up in my recent conversation with Gooden Sensei was the fact that "jujitsu", in its original form was techniques designed to fight against a fully armored samurai. He said that the idea was to take your armored opponent down to the ground and then stab him with a spike in the neck, or other area where the armor didn't cover. So for example, a "jujitsu" chop to the neck evolved from an ice pick grip dagger stab to the neck. We also had other conversations in the past in which he said that he wasn't a big believer in the pressure point knockout concept that so many practitioners are enamored with at the present.

Many of the techniques coming out of jujutsu make more sense if we try to learn more about their original usage in Japan. Otherwise we run the risk of using a technique for a scenario which it was not designed or taught for originally. This may not be a bad adaption towards our times for our needs, but understanding the original context can only help in my opinion.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Patrick McCarthy establishes a pretty clear connection between jujutsu and karate, so I think that as we analyze our kata/hyung, we definitely need to take this into account. My jujutsu sensei talks about these simulated motions all of the time with various two person kata we practice.

As far as pressure point knockouts are concerned, I think this depends on the lineage. I tend to trust people who have learned directly from Oyata sensei. I went to a seminar he put on and saw and experienced some of this first hand. So, it's not all fake...but the practice does lend itself to be practiced by charlatans.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Patrick McCarthy establishes a pretty clear connection between jujutsu and karate, so I think that as we analyze our kata/hyung, we definitely need to take this into account.

Jujutsu of what era? The warring period prior to the unification of Japan by Shogun TOKUGAWA Ieyasu? The Tokugawa era? Meiji restoration? Post Meiji? Do you have an example of a Jujitsu technique that an armored Samurai on a battlefield would use against another armored Samurai that has a corresponding equivalent in a Karate Kata?

As far as pressure point knockouts are concerned, I think this depends on the lineage. I tend to trust people who have learned directly from Oyata sensei. I went to a seminar he put on and saw and experienced some of this first hand. So, it's not all fake...but the practice does lend itself to be practiced by charlatans.

Gooden Sensei said that Oyata Sensei is really the only one to be pushing the pressure point knockout theory, that other teachers in Okinawa are not doing it.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that what the International Kong Soo Do Association does doesn't look like Kong Soo Do either. I saw a video of GM Dunn (the head of the IKA) demonstrating that one form that they have developed and what he was doing looked more like some sort of cross between wing chun and empty handed filipino martial arts than karate. I didn't watch the whole thing, but what I saw looked like something else. I tried to look for it again, but can't find it.

This isn't the first time this observation has been made, though the other times were in regards to a training DVD that I did several years ago. I would submit that it definately doesn't look like what many/most would think of TKD. For me personally, I'm more edge-of-hand, elbows and knee spikes as far as striking. My locks and throws definately have more of an Aikijujutsu flavor (since I trained in AJJ extensively). But I would submit that any/all of it could fit under the label of Kong Soo Do.

More later :)

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I would put my hand out to Puunui with this; you seemed to have a unique depth of knowledge on the history of the Korean arts. And I'm going to take a step back as far as history and state that I'm always happy to discuss this and learn something new or different.

With that said, perhaps is Puunui is willing to assist, I can perhaps go into more depth as far as history and our lineage and correct anything that I've misunderstood or is innacurate.

:)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jujutsu of what era? The warring period prior to the unification of Japan by Shogun TOKUGAWA Ieyasu? The Tokugawa era? Meiji restoration? Post Meiji? Do you have an example of a Jujitsu technique that an armored Samurai on a battlefield would use against another armored Samurai that has a corresponding equivalent in a Karate Kata?

McCarthy writes in his translation of the Bubishi, "Receiving his menkyo (teaching certificate) in Jigen-ryu ken-jutsu from Ijuin Yashichiro, Matsumura was responsible for sythesisizing the uique teaching principles of Jige-ryu to the Chinese and native Okinawan fighting traditions he had also studied. By doing so, Matsumura established the cornerstone upon which an eclectic self defense tradition surfaced in and around the castle district, which in 1927 became known as Shuri-te (Shuri hand)." Page 84.

McCarthy goes on to add that all of his disciples were trained in this tradition, including Funakoshi Gichin and his teachers. When Mr. McCarthy interviewed the eleventh generation Jigen-ryu headmaster of the time, he is reported to have said, "there can be no question that Jigenryu is connected to Okinawa's domestic fighting traditions; however, the question remains, which influenced which!"

The research from a book is the easy part. The real meat of your question is much more difficult to answer. In all honestly, I can only guess at a connection between specific kata and techniques. In my lineage, Hwang Kee learned the kata from books and from students associated with the Chung Do Kwan. I have seen no direct evidence that any of the applications were taught with the kata, so I have no way exploring the historicity of certain moves through that avenue.

However, if I were to make an educated guess, a guess that I have vetted with a sensei in jujutsu and aikijutsu, our version of Chinto kata has exactly the move we are discussing. Near the end of the kata, there is a grabbing motion and a 360 degree turn followed by a simultaneous knife hand strike and kick. This technique is similar to technique called shihonage, which is a common technique in aikijutsu and jujutsu styles. The knife hand strike simulates the strike to the unprotected part of the neck and the kick could be deleted entirely or inserted in many places during the application sequence.

At this time, I am unable to determine if this is an actual Jigen Ryu technique. I suspect that it is and other people who have more experience then me, expect that it is as well. Since Chinto is one of the forms handed down to our style by Matsumura, there is a chance that this technique could be a remnant of that style.

Gooden Sensei said that Oyata Sensei is really the only one to be pushing the pressure point knockout theory, that other teachers in Okinawa are not doing it.

Pressure points are included in the Bubishi and were included in many of the old texts written by past masters. No one in Hawaii teaches the way that Oyata teaches, to my knowledge, but on the mainland, when I lived in Minnesota, one of his top students (Mike Cline) lived in my state and many of his students filtered out from there.

I had a good discussion with a former member of this board (Robert Rousselot - a long time student of Oyata sensei) that concurred with I have learned about the matter. A lot of what we see as pressure point techniques are charlatanry. The real stuff is simple and direct and it works.

Here's an interesting video that shows that it's more then just Oyata Sensei teaching it in the karate world.

Higaonna Sensei teaches this as part of Goju-ryu. From what I've been able to gather from other Goju practitioners it's similar to what Oyata does. It's another area that I'd like to know a lot more about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While preparing the lineage of the Mu Shin Kwan (Kong Soo Do) several years ago, I found it challenging to actually obtain a clear and concise path of progression from one source to the other when it came to the Korean influence. Speaking with Puunui this last week or so gave me the motivation to take a look at some of the information provided along with just a few of the resources I had on-hand (some is packed away). I also went to the net to see what is 'out there'. It seems to me just as confusing and contradictory as it was years ago when I started.

I would like to state upfront that this in NO way is meant to put Puunui on the spot or to suggest he is wrong in his facts. I post this to indicate that there is quite a bit of information out there on the net, in print and by people's perspective, memory and experience that doesn't always jive. Again, NO disrespect meant to Puunui or anyone, simply stating that sometimes you don't which book/article/person to believe.

For example, I listed this in the official lineage;

Gichin Funakoshi taught Shotokan Karate to Chun, Sang Sup at the College at Dong Yang Chuck Sik (Takushoku) University in Japan in the early to mid 1930's. Upon his return to Korea in 1940, he taught Kwon Bop Kong Soo Do at various locations. On March 3, 1946 he officially opened up the Chosen Yun Moo Kwan and began teaching Shotokan Karate under the Korean name of Kong Soo Do. Unfortunately he was abducted during the Korean War (1950 - 1953) and was never heard from again.

From 1947 to 1950 Chun, Sang Sup taught Kong Soo Do to Kyo Yoon Lee who founded the Han Moo Kwan in August of 1954. Both the Yun Moo Kwan and the Han Moo Kwan were among the original Kwans formed in Korea after World War II. The name of the art eventually changed to Taekwondo. GM Lee is currently ranked at 9th Dan and is an instrumental part of the Kukkiwon. There is also evidence to connect Dr. Yoon Kwe Byung, a student of Kenwa Mabuni (a police officer) and founder of Shito Ryu to the lineage. Dr. Yoon was the first president of the Jidokwan (some state the second). The Han Moo Kwan officially disclaims connection to the Jidokwan, but other evidence suggests they had a close relationship, with the Jidokwan preceeding the Han Mu Kwan. Indeed Dr. Yoon was the chief instructor of the Han Mu Kwan in Tokyo in 1947. Evidence also suggests that Shito Ryu had a profound influence on the arts taught.

GM Lee taught Kyu In Baik and In Hue Won. This style of Taekwondo was a very powerful art, no different than Shotokan Karate. However, during the late 1980's it began a transition to more of a sport related art.

In commenting on the part in bold above, According to a 1997 interview with Great-Grandmaster (also called Supreme Grandmaster) Lee, Chong Woo of the Jidokwan in 'World Taekwondo' magazine the following comments were made;

After graduating from college, Chun, Sang Sup returned to Korea, and started to teach Taekwondo to black belt Judo trainees in the Yun Moo Kwan, which was located in Soo Song Dong, Seoul at the time. Lee, Kyung Suk was the grand master of the Yun Moo Kwan during that time and Cho Sun Yun Moo Kwan was a Judo dojang.

After the surrender of Japan in world war II in August 15th, 1945, Cho Sun Yun Moo Kwan moved there location from the Soo Song Dong to So Gong Dong, where the Japanese Gang Duk Kwan used to be located, and officially announced the opening of the Cho Sun Yun Moo Kwan as branch of the Korea Taekwondo.

At that time, Taekwondo was called Kwon Bop Boo. The first trainees of the new Cho Sun Yun Moo Kwan were, Chun, Ill Sup, brother of Master Chun, Sang Sup; Pae, Young Ki; Kim, Bok Nam; Lee, Chong Woo; Pak, Hyun Jong; Lee, Byung Lo; Chung, Jin Dong; Kim, Chun Sun, they later became members of the Jidokwan.

Chun , Ill Sup first popularized the Taekwondo to the state of north Jun-La (Cholla buk do), Bae, Young Ki served 3rd Grandmaster term for the Jidokwan, and Lee, Chong Woo served 2nd and 4th grandmaster terms and they became the main leaders of the Jidokwan.

Yet, Park, Hyun Jong gained the strength of Jidokwan from the reign of the Pusan and Lee, Kyo Yun from Han Moo Kwan joined the Jidokwan and founded the Han Kuk Chae Yuk Dojang (Seoul) and acted as master while he was working for the police communications department.

So according to Grandmaster Lee, Chong Woo, Grandmaster Lee, Kyo Yun (Yoon), founder of the Han Moo Kwan, joined the Jidokwan.

Interview

Yet according to other sources, such as the wikipedia source on Han Moo Kwan;

Lee was a student at the Chosun Yun Moo Kwan Kwon Bop Bu, learning from its founder, Sang Sup Chun. Later, after the Korean War Armistice Agreement was signed in 1953, Lee started teaching the returning Yun moo Kwan Kwon Bop Bu members at the Hankuk Chaeyuk Kwan Dojang. He had conflicts with Chong Woo Lee and left to start his own annex Kwan by setting up a tent at a High School. Later, Chong Woo Lee changed the Yun mooKwan Kwon Bop Bu's name to Jidokwan. Kyo Yoon Lee states that Han Moo Kwan is from Choson Yunmoo Kwan Kwon Bop Bu, not Jidokwan

Wiki page

So was the Han Mu Kwan part of the Jidokwan? Was the falling out between Chong Woo Lee and Kyo Yoon Lee the reason the story was changed later? Or is Chong Woo Lee wrong?

Some sources credit Dr. Yoon Kwe Byung as being the first president of the Jidokwan while others the second.

For example, Puunui states in the thread, "What is tkd"? in post #38;

Dr. YOON Kwe Byung (2nd President of the Jidokwan)

Dr. Yoon Kwe Byung

Jidokwan history

Also, Dakin Burdick states in his JAMA article (Taekwondo's Formative Years, vol. 6, number 1) that Dr. Yoon Kwe Byung founded the Jidokwan in 1946, pg. 36.

Looking at the term 'Kong Soo Do', according to Marc Tadeschi in the book, Taekwondo Traditions, Philosophy, Technique, he states that of the original Kwan:

• Song Mu Kwan
  • Chang Mu Kwan
  • Yon Mu Kwan
  • Chidokwan
...all used the term Kong Soo Do in addition to Kwon Bup. Furthermore, Dakin Burdick also cites several instances of the various Kwans using the term 'Kong Soo Do';

...while kongsudo would eventually go through the greatest changes of all, developing into tangsudo and taekwondo. (pg. 35)

On page 37, he discusses the efforts of the ROK to organize the various styles of kongsudo with the first conference on unification taking place in 1946 but not until the 1950's was the Korea Kongsudo Association formed.

On page 38, he discusses how the organization fell into disarray due to dissension from within (which seems to be a common theme) but that the Chongdokwan continued to use the term 'Kong Soo Do' up until 1962.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is also evidence to connect Dr. Yoon Kwe Byung, a student of Kenwa Mabuni (a police officer) and founder of Shito Ryu to the lineage.
First of all, Mabuni Senseiwas a police officer when he was 18 years old in Okinawa. I am sure he probably did train in Toudejutsu more for self defense purposes than competition since, there really was no competition back then. But his service as a policeman was probably different than what you might think of. Okinawa is an extremely non-violent place, and he would have acted more in the capacity of the sheriff or deputy in Mayberry RFD than a beat cop in Harlem. So I don't know how often, if ever, during his short career as a police officer, whether he actually had to use his martial arts for self defense.

Dr. Yoon was the first president of the Jidokwan (some state the second).
The Jidokwan traces its roots to the Chosun Yun Moo Kwan Kwon Bup Bu, which was founded by GM CHUN Sang Sup. During or after the Korean War, the name was changed to Jidokwan. The Jidokwan name was never used during the time GM Chun was in charge. Dr. Yoon, who took over the Kwan after GM Chun, could be the first or second president of the Jidokwan, depending on whether you count GM Chun as the first Jidokwan President or not.
The Han Moo Kwan officially disclaims connection to the Jidokwan, but other evidence suggests they had a close relationship, with the Jidokwan preceeding the Han Mu Kwan. Indeed Dr. Yoon was the chief instructor of the Han Mu Kwan in Tokyo in 1947.

There is no connection between the Hanmookwan in Japan and the Han Moo Kwan in Korea. When Dr. Yoon lived in Japan, he founded a club which was called "Kanbukan" (Han Moo Kwan in Korean). It was not so much a formal school as it was a place for Korean borns living in Japan to train and work out. There were Shotokan members, as well as those who trained in Judo and I believe Aikido as well. The school still exists and is now called Renbukan. The Kanbukan and Renbukan's method of sparring was to use equipment and go full contact. They wore hogu, head gear, cup, as well as gloves, forearm pads, shin guards, similar to what Taekwondo competitors look like today and similar to the equipment which Mabuni Sensei is wearing in that famous picture from his book (which I have). Dr. Yoon, along with GM HWANG Kee, led the first Japan Korea sparring exchanges in the early 1960's. After the first one, they brought back four sets of chest protectors, which was adopted by the KTA for its tournaments. So Mabuni Sensei did have a profound influence on Taekwondo, that influence being in the competition format and not self defense. The Taekwondo pioneers have great respect for Mabuni Sensei and consider him a martial arts genius, for his input, into sparring.

GM Lee taught Kyu In Baik and In Hue Won.

I believe GM Won's name is spelled GM WON In Hui. He was very active in the USTU as a referee.

So according to Grandmaster Lee, Chong Woo, Grandmaster Lee, Kyo Yun (Yoon), founder of the Han Moo Kwan, joined the Jidokwan.

What GM LEE Chong Woo is saying is that GM LEE Kyo Yun was a student of GM CHUN Sang Sup at the Chosun Yun Moo Kwan, and later founded the Han Moo Kwan. GM Lee considers the Jidokwan as a continuation of the Chosun Yun Moo Kwan Kwon Bup Bu, so to him the Jidokwan and Yun Moo Kwan are the same thing. But to GM LEE Kyo Yun, he considers the Jidokwan and Yun Moo Kwan to be two separate things, because from his point of view, his only influence and his only teachers came from the Yun Moo Kwan, and not the later stages when it was called the Jidokwan.

So was the Han Mu Kwan part of the Jidokwan? Was the falling out between Chong Woo Lee and Kyo Yoon Lee the reason the story was changed later? Or is Chong Woo Lee wrong?

The story wasn't changed. It is a difference in interpretation of the facts, but the facts remain the same, if that helps you. One thing to distinguish is to discern the difference between facts, and opinions. If it is an opinion, then try to find out the facts upon which the opinions are based. But always start with the facts.

Some sources credit Dr. Yoon Kwe Byung as being the first president of the Jidokwan while others the second.

See above.

Also, Dakin Burdick states in his JAMA article (Taekwondo's Formative Years, vol. 6, number 1) that Dr. Yoon Kwe Byung founded the Jidokwan in 1946, pg. 36.

I would disregard anything written from Dakin Burdick. He doesn't know what he is talking about. I already wrote posts about the inaccuracies of his information and perspective.

Looking at the term 'Kong Soo Do', according to Marc Tadeschi in the book, Taekwondo Traditions, Philosophy, Technique, he states that of the original Kwan:

• Song Mu Kwan
  • Chang Mu Kwan
  • Yon Mu Kwan
  • Chidokwan
...all used the term Kong Soo Do in addition to Kwon Bup. Furthermore, Dakin Burdick also cites several instances of the various Kwans using the term 'Kong Soo Do';

Again, disregard what Dakin Burdick says. Reading his stuff will only lead to confusion. The Song Moo Kwan, Chang Moo Kwan and Chidokwan did use the term Kong Soo Do, in the 1950's. The Yun Moo Kwan used the term Kwon Bup and never used the term Kong Soo Do, when it was active, in the 1940's.

On page 37, he discusses the efforts of the ROK to organize the various styles of kongsudo with the first conference on unification taking place in 1946 but not until the 1950's was the Korea Kongsudo Association formed.

That meeting occurred in April 1946. Attending were GM LEE Won Kuk and GM RO Byung Jick from the Tang Soo Do Chung Do Kwan and GM YOON Byung In and GM CHUN Sang Sup from the Chosun Yun Moo Kwan Kwon Bup Bu. GM Yoon was teaching at the Yun Moo Kwan until September 1946 when he opened his own school at the Seoul YMCA. They tried to see if they could combine and work together, but their styles were so different as to make them incompatible. GM Lee and GM Ro were pure Shotokan, while GM Yoon and GM Chun were more eclectic. The Korea Kong Soo Do Association was briefly around in the early 50's but disbanded early on.

On page 38, he discusses how the organization fell into disarray due to dissension from within (which seems to be a common theme) but that the Chongdokwan continued to use the term 'Kong Soo Do' up until 1962.

Dissension was a common theme in the early part of Taekwondo's history, when people were still doing their own thing. But that was later resolved and the kwans did unify, first under the KTA and then later the Kukkiwon.

hoshindo

White Belt
Reaction score
[The Korea Kong Soo Do Association ]

" So that's where Korean Karate came from"
Korea Karate-do Association