Kodokan vs. Budokan

Robert Carver

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "Budokan Judo". The Budokan is an arena located in Tokyo, Japan where events of various types are held to include martial arts exhibitions and tournaments, sporting events and concerts.

http://www.geocities.com/smokyrobmoore/jp051500.htm

"Budokan" btw means "martial way hall" and is often used in the name of dojos around the world. For instance, Darrell Craig Sensei teaches at the Houston Budokan.

OP
T

TonyM.

Yeah, what he said. A prime example would be Cheap trick Live at Budokan, which is definetly a martial assault on the hearing and central nervous system.

OP
S

SPQR

Robert Carver said:
There is no such thing as "Budokan Judo". The Budokan is an arena located in Tokyo, Japan where events of various types are held to include martial arts exhibitions and tournaments, sporting events and concerts.
I knew of the arena. The reason why I asked was that one judoka told me about some differences in techniques between Kodokan and Budokan...

Robert Carver

Orange Belt
Reaction score
SPQR said:
I knew of the arena. The reason why I asked was that one judoka told me about some differences in techniques between Kodokan and Budokan...

Hmm, no offense, but based on my experience as a Judoka, any "Judoka" who would make such a claim of another style, system or ryu of Judo, hasn't the slightest clue what he is talking about. While there are folks that may talk about "Kosen Judo" or "Olympic Judo", they are really talking about a distinction in the way the art is practiced, that is all. To us folks that have been doing Judo for several decades, there is really only one Judo, and that is Kodokan Judo.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Shogun said:
To me, there are TWO kinds of Judo: Real and not real. lol.

One of the Judo schools in my area is the Budokan Judo club, and they teach Kodokan.
That just means the name of your judo club is Budokan where kodokan judo is taught. Again, it is just easy to remember there is only one kind of judo and that is kodokan judo.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Robert Carver said:
Hmm, no offense, but based on my experience as a Judoka, any "Judoka" who would make such a claim of another style, system or ryu of Judo, hasn't the slightest clue what he is talking about. While there are folks that may talk about "Kosen Judo" or "Olympic Judo", they are really talking about a distinction in the way the art is practiced, that is all. To us folks that have been doing Judo for several decades, there is really only one Judo, and that is Kodokan Judo.

What about Jikinshin Ryu Judo Which Can be traced
Back to Japan 200 Years Before the Birth of Kano?????

Robert Carver

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Saitama Steve said:
That's Jikishin ryu and it is an extinct ryuha of jujutsu. Yes, Jikishin ryu used the term Judo first, but they aren't around anymore. What's your point please?
Thank you Steve. :)

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saitama Steve said:
That's Jikishin ryu and it is an extinct ryuha of jujutsu. Yes, Jikishin ryu used the term Judo first, but they aren't around anymore. What's your point please?

It was stated that there was no other Judo
other than the Kodokan which was false

The Jikishin Ryu has survived & has an organization
Through out Europe & some Reps in the States.

It was Stated that REAL Judoka know That there
is no other Judo Than The Kodokan Which is
A Blind Statement When Ulook at History.......

And For the Record Kano was 1st a Ju Jitsu Man.
Haveing studied 3 differnt forms of Ju Jitsu

He took out the harmful Tec. Such as Leg Locks
& Kicking & Striking during Randori out

Kano Studyed Kito Ryu ,Tenjinshino Ryu & Yoshin Ryu
All are forms of Ju Jitsu.

He also had many Students who had spent most of there lives
Practising Ju Jitsu.....

Back to The Jikishin Ryu They were the 1st to Use the Name
So to say ther r was no other styel of Judo is a Lie

Quote from Neil Adams Kodokan Judo was Kano's form of Ju Jitsu
Point Made :wavey:

Robert Carver

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No ACE, I stated "To us folks that have been doing Judo for several decades, there is really only one Judo, and that is Kodokan Judo." The operative word is "IS" not "WAS". Jikishin ryu is an extinct ryu is Jujutsu, and just because some people in Europe and a couple of folks here in the US claim to be teaching it, does not make it so. I could start calling what I teach Jikishin ryu, and it would have basically the same bearing. Steve LIVES in Japan and if the ryu, with lineage traceable back to its beginning, does not exist in Japan, then it is extinct. Also, in 1724, the fourth headmaster of Jikishin ryu, Inoue Masayori, changed the name to Jikishin ryu Judo, but he did not create a new art. On the otherhand, Kano Sensei literally created a new art from the Jujutsu ryu he was educated in. While the Jikishin ryu was the first, but not the last system of Jujutsu to use the term "Judo", they did not create a style called Judo. Kano did.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Hi Ace,

I really do not like to quibble, so to help you out, here are two sites to give you some background of Jikishin-ryu judo and Kodokan judo:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/search/topic/13747-1.html

http://www.judoinfo.com/jhist3.htm

In brief; Dr. Kano borrowed, not invent, the term judo from Jikishin-ryu, and added the adjective 'Kodokan' so as not to confuse the two schools.

I believe what was meant by no other Judo but Kodokan Judo, was that Kodokan Judo has no different styles, as Karate, Kung-fu or Aikido seems to have. For example, there are several styles of karate, but there is only one Kodokan Judo.

ace said:
It was stated that there was no other Judo
other than the Kodokan which was false

The Jikishin Ryu has survived & has an organization
Through out Europe & some Reps in the States.

It was Stated that REAL Judoka know That there
is no other Judo Than The Kodokan Which is
A Blind Statement When Ulook at History.......

And For the Record Kano was 1st a Ju Jitsu Man.
Haveing studied 3 differnt forms of Ju Jitsu

He took out the harmful Tec. Such as Leg Locks
& Kicking & Striking during Randori out

Kano Studyed Kito Ryu ,Tenjinshino Ryu & Yoshin Ryu
All are forms of Ju Jitsu.

He also had many Students who had spent most of there lives
Practising Ju Jitsu.....

Back to The Jikishin Ryu They were the 1st to Use the Name
So to say ther r was no other styel of Judo is a Lie

Quote from Neil Adams Kodokan Judo was Kano's form of Ju Jitsu
Point Made :wavey:

Robert Carver

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
I believe what was meant by no other Judo but Kodokan Judo, was that Kodokan Judo has no different styles, as Karate, Kung-fu or Aikido seems to have. For example, there are several styles of karate, but there is only one Kodokan Judo.
For once, we are in total agreement! ;)

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

ace said:
Http://www.kobukaijujitsu.com/sensi6.html

Http://jikishin.com

Here are a couple of Links

I tried the 1st 1 but seems to be wacked Try Sensi6
Interesting Reading....
It is interesting that Jikishin-ryu judo has withstood the test of time, and historically interesting that Dr. Jigoro Kano called his system Kodokan Judo, to differentiate it from Jikinshin Judo, which used the term 'judo' prior to Dr. Kano.

OP
S

SPQR

Robert Carver said:
For once, we are in total agreement! ;)
Hey, my ignorant question had some positive results after all!

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
Patrick Skerry said:
It is interesting that Jikishin-ryu judo has withstood the test of time, and historically interesting that Dr. Jigoro Kano called his system Kodokan Judo, to differentiate it from Jikinshin Judo, which used the term 'judo' prior to Dr. Kano.

Ah, but there's the rub. The British jujutsu school featured on that website has absolutely nothing to do with the old Jikishin ryu. What they do is BJJA jujutsu, which is an amalgamation of judo, karate, aikido and old WW2 combatives tricks (If they still teach them).

Bear in mind, that there are weapons school out there with similar names (e.g. Jikishin kage ryu naginatajutsu & Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage ryu kenjutsu) but there is no school of classical jujutsu in Japan called Jikishin ryu. The only jikishin ryu you will find these days, is Jikishin ryu Kado.

Kado is the way of insence. You wanna smell good? Go there! ;)