Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Except he wasn't talking about the methods of various systems, he was talking about knife fighting itself… hence the question as to his experience and understanding of what knife combat actually (realistically) entailed itself...

Oh, I agree that his experience and understanding of the knife is poor based upon what he is doing. I don't want that to be misunderstood. In fact, I chastised him earlier about what he is doing being dangerous and I still believe that.

However, my point still stands in that many FMA systems which are supposed to be knife-heavy (other FMA systems are not necessarily this way), tend to add and add more flashy techniques, even with the knife, in an effort to "keep up with the Jones's". In PTKGO, we look at the knife as a simpler weapon since: a) it cannot be manipulated the same way as a long weapon; b) it is often an ambush weapon that you don't see coming until the last moment, if at all; and, c) it happens at extremely close range giving you less time to react/counter.

OP
WW3 Combatives

WW3 Combatives

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ok so i did watch this..

first thought,,,your hands are down for almost every sequence and you distancing range for the stand up never changes you are at a constant outside range.
at 2:54 your doing boken stuff on the heavy bag,,,looks cheesy.. sorry,
in a lot of your strikes, both hand and weapons you are really over doing the follow through movements. trying to understand why you would let your arms and body posture open up like that.
what makes what you are teaching combatives? it looks like common martial arts mixed together.
i am not trying to bash, just looking for a comparative to what i do.
The video is just snippets of clips. They are static strikes that explain what is happening in the body to deliver the greatest amount of power. Joint focus, structure, body torque, wave form and more. To show what is happening I had to over exagerate the movements. The system contains 162 clips. The video is just a taste of what is in it. Taken out of context I can see that it won't make sense.

People might think that putting 3 systems together is a bad idea, yet what I did was take the Self Defense Training System and added principles from Wing Chun and Open Circle Fighting Method. All 3 are principle based systems. Added principles of movement can super power the techniques that are already proven to work. Making them even more effective. If you were to purchase the videos, it would not replace what you know. It would add to what you know. It would add to your understanding of how your body moves and delivers power.

OP
WW3 Combatives

WW3 Combatives

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure that the OP is going to come back… and, as the initial videos in the first post are now not viewable, I'm going to go through the above linked clip with a fairly fine-toothed comb to highlight the mechanical issues (and others) that I was seeing in the original clips, as they're present here (along with a number of others)… this may take a bit…

First comment: the vast majority of times when I'm watching a clip here, I have my sound running through my system… which also has my TV etc running through it… which means that I, most commonly, watch the clips without sound, and base much of my initial comments on the simple body movement I see. If it's something I feel I need more clarification on, then I watch it again with the sound… which is what I did with the original clips. Now, in those clips, it was slightly illuminating (although did nothing to assuage the problems seen), however this clip has no audio from Joe, just a rather annoying song throughout it… pity.

Okay, to the actual content itself…

From about 0:09-0:23 (yeah, I said it'd be a fine toothed comb…), we get a look at some basic stepping drills. Okay, fair enough. However, I note that the body simply isn't moving with the legs, leaving a larger than necessary amount of time out of balance, and unable to move should an attack be launched. Additionally, there is little in the way of solidity to the stepping, with your weight being held back and too high, which leaves you susceptible to being rushed and overwhelmed.

0:23-0:29, you're showing a hammer fist, first simply with your hand (light), then with a slight (but mis-timed) drop, and an increased penetration, overly emphasised by you dropping your own hand out of the way… which, frankly, shows little to nothing about any power generation at all, or any improvement that you're offering. The third example is a step, drop, and strike… again completely mis-timed and poorly co-ordinated, with an overly exaggerated drop, leaving your head wide open, and without a guard. Sure, if you hit, it'd have some effect (not as much as you think), but if it missed (and, with the wind-up, the lack of speed, and more, that's likely), you're wide open to be hit back. In other words, you're contravening all the basic principles of how to hit in the first place.

0:30-0:53 "Strikes With Every Part Of The Body"… well, firstly, you're not using "every part of the body"… but we'll let that go, you may teach striking with the earlobes on the full DVD… and we'll just focus on the actual striking methods shown. They're terrible.

Every single strike is done in an overly committed fashion, leading to poor balance, lack of control, lack of defensive capabilities, and lack of power on the strike itself. This is coupled with the poor distancing seen throughout (both too close and too far), a lack of ability to put power into the strike, leading to it coming back into your body. In the kicking actions, there is a tendency to again have no defensive aspect (guard) at all, as well as a tendency to not transmit your body weight into the strikes by holding your hips back. All of this leads to poor striking, lack of power, and more.

0:54-1:19 "Many Different Takedowns Minimal Body Contact" Hmm… again, a myriad array of mechanical issues, from poor positioning to weak grips and so on…

1:20-1:40 "Ground Work Designed For The Street". Uh… nope. The whole thing. Nope.

The first thing you do is a forward break fall… which has your hands out to the sides (leaving your face free to fall straight to the ground if more force was applied), your knee impacting the ground, and more. Do this on concrete, and you're going to potentially injure your knee, elbows, and face… so… maybe learn to fall first? The rear fall you follow with is not quite as bad, but would still lead to potential injury to your hip and elbow.

I like the idea of a ground fighting position to kick from… but your position is fairly easily passed, due to the way you're holding your high leg. And, with your position, you'd be in some real trouble. Next is you rolling over an "attackers" ankle… look, do I have to point out how silly this is? A simple step back from the guy above would stop that pretty easily…

1:41-2:10 "Just Get Up" Er… huh? The first sequence has you give up your back for a choke almost immediately, and, even when you do manage to stand, you're still trapped with one leg clamped between both of the opponents… maybe learn what you're doing first? We then get a series of actions from between a persons legs (not really a guard), which is wonderful if someone's just lying down and not, you know, fighting you… When we do move onto a position where you're in your opponent's guard, it's frankly terrible. The legs are too low, which makes your escape easier, but unrealistic, and robs the opponent of the actual control that position affords. We also see the half-kneel that drop bear was commenting on… not only are you open to a sweep, you're too high, which gives you some balance issues, your right foot is flat on the ground (rather than being up on the ball of the foot), which leaves you in a less mobile, less powerful position, and more. Really, this is all fairly useless.

2:11-3:00 "Offensive Weapons Defensive Weapons and Disarms". I'm going to break this down to individual weapons…

This section begins with some parts of the original knife clips… beginning with some supported stabbing actions. Look, I'm not going to go into detail on an open forum as to exactly how the issues I see can be fixed, for what I hope are obvious reasons, but I will point out the problems as I see them. This thrusting action, for example, are very shallow, with minimalist penetration if the other guy is wearing anything remotely heavy (such as a jacket, leather or otherwise), which will lead to more superficial injuries than anything realistic. This is followed by a "hooking" action, and a "pushing" cut… look, in certain circumstances I can see a use… but those situations are highly specific, and again, there is a sacrifice of a powerful response to allow for such actions.

Next is some stick work… and, again, it's frankly terrible. The strikes are whippy, which is good for speed, however they're kept far too close to your body, leading to no power, no penetration, and little effect other than a sting and an annoyance. The fact that you combine shortened strikes with an over-reach (leaving your body and head exposed and open) is impressive… you've both under extended and over extended at the same time… and what the hell is that helicopter lunacy at 2:39?!?

Weapon defence… you start with a knife defence that sees you ignore the knife in favour of some low-level striking, and getting stabbed for your lack of awareness (seriously, check out what happens at 2:43… no control of the weapon or weapon hand, and you wear it…), followed by some pistol disarms… hmm. You do get that one of the main things with a pistol disarm is to get the barrel pointing away from you, yeah? Cause you rather constantly pull it across your body, or point the thing directly at your face… that, combined with the fact that your not moving against anything close to even a realistic threat with a gun, and the way you have no actual disarming principles other than "pull it out of his hand" (badly), and I would heartily advise that anyone watching and thinking about your product base their assessment on the fact that, when it comes to the most serious of situations, weapon defence, everything you do would get you killed. Often by your own hand.

At 2:54 we see you using a bokuto (wooden sword) on a punching bag… dude, put the thing down, you're embarrassing yourself. You have no idea of grip, posture, cutting mechanics, or anything related to sword usage… and what do swords have to do with modern combatives anyway?!?!

3:00-3:10 "The Evolution of Combatives" Uh… nope.

So, with a three minute video so replete with problems, issues, and more, and with your rather odd belief that what you're presenting is in any way new, an improvement, or even good in the first place, I went back to your website to see what exactly your background was, and honestly, the entire thing screams "beginner". Why you think you're in a position to offer something of major value is beyond me… but, for the record, here is your list:

Trained and Certified In:
Jeet Kune Do (mostly self taught, 1 year class taught)
Judo (green belt)
Tekken Ryu Jujutsu (green belt)
Ninjitsu Mind Techniques
Multiple Types of combatives
The Self Defence Training System (Professional Instructor)
Wing Chun Kung Fu (Level 4 Student, Level 3 Instructor)
Pressure Point Defensive Tactics (International Coach)
Open Circle Fighting Method (Coach)
WW3 Combatives (creator)

So, what do we have here? Someone who is "mostly self taught" in JKD, holds a beginner's rank in Judo and Tekken Ryu Jujutsu (itself a modern creation), certified in three systems that look to be weekend seminar certifications, trained in "multiple types of combatives" (whatever that might mean), some Wing Chun (which again appears to be rather beginner in rank), and… had to save this to the end, because, seriously, what the hell?!!?… "Ninjitsu mind techniques". Dude… what?

All of this is them combined to make your own combative system… not a good sign. Of course, there is more than you added to create this concoction… and one thing that leapt out at me is this: Ancient Swiss Medical Qigong. Once again, seriously? What the hell?!?! Ancient SWISS Qigong? Dude… is there any part of you that believes this yourself?!?

Except he wasn't talking about the methods of various systems, he was talking about knife fighting itself… hence the question as to his experience and understanding of what knife combat actually (realistically) entailed itself...
Everything you said comes from not actually understanding what I am teaching. The videos give nothing away. You do not know why I did what I did in the videos and how I add to things later or how what was taught in previous videos makes things near the end make sense. You can't make a decision on an entire system based on snippets of clips that have deeper explanation.

Then you try to make fun of my training. You have no idea how much time I have spent on my training or what my over all level of skill and understanding is. You're just bashing me and thinking you know me.

OP
WW3 Combatives

WW3 Combatives

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure that the OP is going to come back… and, as the initial videos in the first post are now not viewable, I'm going to go through the above linked clip with a fairly fine-toothed comb to highlight the mechanical issues (and others) that I was seeing in the original clips, as they're present here (along with a number of others)… this may take a bit…

First comment: the vast majority of times when I'm watching a clip here, I have my sound running through my system… which also has my TV etc running through it… which means that I, most commonly, watch the clips without sound, and base much of my initial comments on the simple body movement I see. If it's something I feel I need more clarification on, then I watch it again with the sound… which is what I did with the original clips. Now, in those clips, it was slightly illuminating (although did nothing to assuage the problems seen), however this clip has no audio from Joe, just a rather annoying song throughout it… pity.

Okay, to the actual content itself…

From about 0:09-0:23 (yeah, I said it'd be a fine toothed comb…), we get a look at some basic stepping drills. Okay, fair enough. However, I note that the body simply isn't moving with the legs, leaving a larger than necessary amount of time out of balance, and unable to move should an attack be launched. Additionally, there is little in the way of solidity to the stepping, with your weight being held back and too high, which leaves you susceptible to being rushed and overwhelmed.

0:23-0:29, you're showing a hammer fist, first simply with your hand (light), then with a slight (but mis-timed) drop, and an increased penetration, overly emphasised by you dropping your own hand out of the way… which, frankly, shows little to nothing about any power generation at all, or any improvement that you're offering. The third example is a step, drop, and strike… again completely mis-timed and poorly co-ordinated, with an overly exaggerated drop, leaving your head wide open, and without a guard. Sure, if you hit, it'd have some effect (not as much as you think), but if it missed (and, with the wind-up, the lack of speed, and more, that's likely), you're wide open to be hit back. In other words, you're contravening all the basic principles of how to hit in the first place.

0:30-0:53 "Strikes With Every Part Of The Body"… well, firstly, you're not using "every part of the body"… but we'll let that go, you may teach striking with the earlobes on the full DVD… and we'll just focus on the actual striking methods shown. They're terrible.

Every single strike is done in an overly committed fashion, leading to poor balance, lack of control, lack of defensive capabilities, and lack of power on the strike itself. This is coupled with the poor distancing seen throughout (both too close and too far), a lack of ability to put power into the strike, leading to it coming back into your body. In the kicking actions, there is a tendency to again have no defensive aspect (guard) at all, as well as a tendency to not transmit your body weight into the strikes by holding your hips back. All of this leads to poor striking, lack of power, and more.

0:54-1:19 "Many Different Takedowns Minimal Body Contact" Hmm… again, a myriad array of mechanical issues, from poor positioning to weak grips and so on…

1:20-1:40 "Ground Work Designed For The Street". Uh… nope. The whole thing. Nope.

The first thing you do is a forward break fall… which has your hands out to the sides (leaving your face free to fall straight to the ground if more force was applied), your knee impacting the ground, and more. Do this on concrete, and you're going to potentially injure your knee, elbows, and face… so… maybe learn to fall first? The rear fall you follow with is not quite as bad, but would still lead to potential injury to your hip and elbow.

I like the idea of a ground fighting position to kick from… but your position is fairly easily passed, due to the way you're holding your high leg. And, with your position, you'd be in some real trouble. Next is you rolling over an "attackers" ankle… look, do I have to point out how silly this is? A simple step back from the guy above would stop that pretty easily…

1:41-2:10 "Just Get Up" Er… huh? The first sequence has you give up your back for a choke almost immediately, and, even when you do manage to stand, you're still trapped with one leg clamped between both of the opponents… maybe learn what you're doing first? We then get a series of actions from between a persons legs (not really a guard), which is wonderful if someone's just lying down and not, you know, fighting you… When we do move onto a position where you're in your opponent's guard, it's frankly terrible. The legs are too low, which makes your escape easier, but unrealistic, and robs the opponent of the actual control that position affords. We also see the half-kneel that drop bear was commenting on… not only are you open to a sweep, you're too high, which gives you some balance issues, your right foot is flat on the ground (rather than being up on the ball of the foot), which leaves you in a less mobile, less powerful position, and more. Really, this is all fairly useless.

2:11-3:00 "Offensive Weapons Defensive Weapons and Disarms". I'm going to break this down to individual weapons…

This section begins with some parts of the original knife clips… beginning with some supported stabbing actions. Look, I'm not going to go into detail on an open forum as to exactly how the issues I see can be fixed, for what I hope are obvious reasons, but I will point out the problems as I see them. This thrusting action, for example, are very shallow, with minimalist penetration if the other guy is wearing anything remotely heavy (such as a jacket, leather or otherwise), which will lead to more superficial injuries than anything realistic. This is followed by a "hooking" action, and a "pushing" cut… look, in certain circumstances I can see a use… but those situations are highly specific, and again, there is a sacrifice of a powerful response to allow for such actions.

Next is some stick work… and, again, it's frankly terrible. The strikes are whippy, which is good for speed, however they're kept far too close to your body, leading to no power, no penetration, and little effect other than a sting and an annoyance. The fact that you combine shortened strikes with an over-reach (leaving your body and head exposed and open) is impressive… you've both under extended and over extended at the same time… and what the hell is that helicopter lunacy at 2:39?!?

Weapon defence… you start with a knife defence that sees you ignore the knife in favour of some low-level striking, and getting stabbed for your lack of awareness (seriously, check out what happens at 2:43… no control of the weapon or weapon hand, and you wear it…), followed by some pistol disarms… hmm. You do get that one of the main things with a pistol disarm is to get the barrel pointing away from you, yeah? Cause you rather constantly pull it across your body, or point the thing directly at your face… that, combined with the fact that your not moving against anything close to even a realistic threat with a gun, and the way you have no actual disarming principles other than "pull it out of his hand" (badly), and I would heartily advise that anyone watching and thinking about your product base their assessment on the fact that, when it comes to the most serious of situations, weapon defence, everything you do would get you killed. Often by your own hand.

At 2:54 we see you using a bokuto (wooden sword) on a punching bag… dude, put the thing down, you're embarrassing yourself. You have no idea of grip, posture, cutting mechanics, or anything related to sword usage… and what do swords have to do with modern combatives anyway?!?!

3:00-3:10 "The Evolution of Combatives" Uh… nope.

So, with a three minute video so replete with problems, issues, and more, and with your rather odd belief that what you're presenting is in any way new, an improvement, or even good in the first place, I went back to your website to see what exactly your background was, and honestly, the entire thing screams "beginner". Why you think you're in a position to offer something of major value is beyond me… but, for the record, here is your list:

Trained and Certified In:
Jeet Kune Do (mostly self taught, 1 year class taught)
Judo (green belt)
Tekken Ryu Jujutsu (green belt)
Ninjitsu Mind Techniques
Multiple Types of combatives
The Self Defence Training System (Professional Instructor)
Wing Chun Kung Fu (Level 4 Student, Level 3 Instructor)
Pressure Point Defensive Tactics (International Coach)
Open Circle Fighting Method (Coach)
WW3 Combatives (creator)

So, what do we have here? Someone who is "mostly self taught" in JKD, holds a beginner's rank in Judo and Tekken Ryu Jujutsu (itself a modern creation), certified in three systems that look to be weekend seminar certifications, trained in "multiple types of combatives" (whatever that might mean), some Wing Chun (which again appears to be rather beginner in rank), and… had to save this to the end, because, seriously, what the hell?!!?… "Ninjitsu mind techniques". Dude… what?

All of this is them combined to make your own combative system… not a good sign. Of course, there is more than you added to create this concoction… and one thing that leapt out at me is this: Ancient Swiss Medical Qigong. Once again, seriously? What the hell?!?! Ancient SWISS Qigong? Dude… is there any part of you that believes this yourself?!?

Also just because you have no idea what Ancient Swiss Medical Qigong is, you think you can make fun of me for it. If you knew what it was you would understand.

OP
WW3 Combatives

WW3 Combatives

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The reason I took the videos down is because they are shown out of context and I was being overwhelmed by your attacks. Have you ever been a room where multiple people are making fun of you? Hard to come back with anything. In a multiple attacker situation, best thing to do is get out of there.

Since the videos are taken out of context, none of you can see the lessons before that add to the understanding in these videos. These are not the only videos in my system that teach about knife.

I stand by the fact that this is the Evolution of Combatives. It's not just a bunch of movements. It teaches how to move the body in the most effective, powerful, efficient and natural way. Sure you don't see that in the snippets of clips, but that is because you don't know what I am doing and why I am doing it. That is fine. The videos are down so the misunderstandings can come to a halt.

I know that if people train in my system no matter how good they already are, they will become better. The Evolution comes in the focusing of principles and incorporating them into the already effectiveness of combatives.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also just because you have no idea what Ancient Swiss Medical Qigong is, you think you can make fun of me for it. If you knew what it was you would understand.

Ummm.... I think most people know exactly what it is. An oxymoron. A meaningless grouping of words.
I am the Worlds Foremost Expert on Ancient Mumble Dogface Banana Patch Scottish Medical Ninja Mind Control Qigong.
So you have to just take my word for it.
Because you don't know what it is. And neither does anyone else.

For example... google doesn't return a SINGLE result that matches "Ancient Swiss Medical [Quigong|Qigong]."
Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Bupkiss.
So you must have studied it in a cave under some Ancient Swiss/Chinese physician who never taught anybody else, and swore you to secrecy, right?

Here's the thing... the people who are responding to you include people who have been seriously studying martial arts for longer than you've been alive. In some cases, MUCH longer than you've been alive.

So when you present yourself as an expert, despite a c.v. that shows little or no reason to think you're anything close to being expert in even one art, let alone several, you probably shouldn't be shocked when your claims are met with a degree of skepticism.

You say we don't know your experience or level of training. But, in fact, we do have a pretty good idea.
Here's the link to your c.v.: Joe Landry | WW3 Combatives
You've got (as has been pointed out) a few low level rankings, a few weekend seminar certifications, and some utter ridiculousness.
None of which would have given you anywhere CLOSE to expertise, especially in a specialized area like knife fighting.
So we do know your training: extremely limited, superficial, and at least partly pure nonsense.
And we do know your level of skill, at least as it's shown in your videos (and I think few will believe you chose videos that don't show you at your best). And in the eyes of recognized experts, the skill level shown is... limited...

I don't think you're going to sell many videos here.

tony dear

White Belt
Reaction score
I have purchased ww3 combatives....would anyone be interested in my review?

tony dear

White Belt
Reaction score
The video is just snippets of clips. They are static strikes that explain what is happening in the body to deliver the greatest amount of power. Joint focus, structure, body torque, wave form and more. To show what is happening I had to over exagerate the movements. The system contains 162 clips. The video is just a taste of what is in it. Taken out of context I can see that it won't make sense.

People might think that putting 3 systems together is a bad idea, yet what I did was take the Self Defense Training System and added principles from Wing Chun and Open Circle Fighting Method. All 3 are principle based systems. Added principles of movement can super power the techniques that are already proven to work. Making them even more effective. If you were to purchase the videos, it would not replace what you know. It would add to what you know. It would add to your understanding of how your body moves and delivers power.
Principles are not systems......it is indeed possible to improve upon any technique with correct principles...players to the game...as in DSI

tony dear

White Belt
Reaction score
Ummm.... I think most people know exactly what it is. An oxymoron. A meaningless grouping of words.
I am the Worlds Foremost Expert on Ancient Mumble Dogface Banana Patch Scottish Medical Ninja Mind Control Qigong.

For example... google doesn't return a SINGLE result that matches "Ancient Swiss Medical [Quigong|Qigong]."
So you must have studied it in a cave under some Ancient Swiss/Chinese physician who never taught anybody else, and swore you to secrecy, right?

Here's the thing... the people who are responding to you include people who have been seriously studying martial arts for longer than you've been alive. In some cases, MUCH longer than you've been alive.

So when you present yourself as an expert, despite a c.v. that shows little or no reason to think you're anything close to being expert in even one art, let alone several, you probably shouldn't be shocked when your claims are met with a degree of skepticism.

You say we don't know your experience or level of training. But, in fact, we do have a pretty good idea.
You've got (as has been pointed out) a few low level rankings, a few weekend seminar certifications, and some utter ridiculousness.
None of which would have given you anywhere CLOSE to expertise, especially in a specialized area like knife fighting.
So we do know your training: extremely limited, superficial, and at least partly pure nonsense.
And we do know your level of skill, at least as it's shown in your videos (and I think few will believe you chose videos that don't show you at your best). And in the eyes of recognized experts, the skill level shown is... limited...

SIR, it is indeed useful to read your comments.. am not yet sure what Swiss qigong is also...However, I would say that in terms of principles based approach ...which is stepping on the shoulder of giants-all of whom you would respect...like Rick Moneymaker and Russell Stutely....I feel Joe has got something very worthy here in the whole system not just a few clips......he also has the courage to post things...check out his sources and influences and then ud get where hes coming from...none of us are true experts as we are all immature and developing..open mind is the way..as you know.

tony dear

White Belt
Reaction score
Principles are not systems......it is indeed possible to improve upon any technique with correct principles...players to the game...as in DSI
Yeah. May as well.
As this is a friendly forum I feel I should start with the good points as far as I understand them..he has taken a combatives system... Damian Ross self defense training system -of which he was an instructor- and then looked at it with a view to adding the principles of Russell Stutelys OPEN CIRCLE fighting method...which draws on the Dragon society international grandmasters Muncy and Moneymaker.....I am a coach for OCFM...He then adds this technology to the combatives as he sees it should be done..plus wing chun principles etc.

This is an innovative thing to do and something I woud love to do ......so the actual concepts here are very sound....

Most bloggers here are objecting to the marketing......and some execution in clips.......I can fully understand the guys speaking from experience...the knife is an area I cant comment cos I don't think there is any real realistic defence....clear the weapon and attack..maybe.

so I defend the innovation ....we are all immature and getting better...he had the balls to do this and post....we were all younger once....so I think in time this innovation will catch on....just my opinion and in the true spirit of the martial arts I respect yours,T

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

Easily fixed. Give us a link that describes the system, who teaches it, what its origins are, etc.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
The video is just snippets of clips. They are static strikes that explain what is happening in the body to deliver the greatest amount of power. Joint focus, structure, body torque, wave form and more. To show what is happening I had to over exagerate the movements.

where you made your mistake was coming into a forum and trying to present yourself as a figure of authority on a subject for the purpose of marketing and to boost awareness of your system.
that instantly puts you in a position where you will have to defend yourself. i would think that a combatives instructor would have a little knowledge of strategy. "know yourself ,,know your enemy" is basic knowledge. we are not your enemy but perhaps it would have been prudent to know what you were getting yourself into and know your audience.

Added principles of movement can super power the techniques that are already proven to work.
it is this kind of linguistic terminology that gets under the skin. as many have stated already a good number of us on this sight have been in MA a long time and we just wont buy into this type of lingo. we know better. everything you say and the clips you are trying to defend, we have seen this exact same thing hundreds of times before. so your defense that "we just dont know" is not going to cut because we do know.
that being said i would enjoy a conversation about your training and some concepts you may have. IF you are willing to put the conversation out there to be talked about, to be debated and hashed out and thought about. but let go of the authority tone and the marketing. it just wont fly here.
In Tibetan Buddhism there is a tradition of debate. they say if you do not have to knowledge to debate your beliefs then those beliefs are not that strong and are not based on your own knowledge but rather the knowledge of others. lets talk about some of your concepts. if your not willing to do that then maybe you should "peddle your wares" somewhere else.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The videos give nothing away.

If they give nothing away, then there's no point to having posted them in the first place.

They do give something away, though. They demonstrate the general quality of your movement, if nothing else.

You have no idea how much time I have spent on my training or what my over all level of skill and understanding is.

If the resume posted on your site is accurate, then we do have a pretty good idea of your training experience and skill level. Judging from what you showed in your videos, the resume seems believable.

Feel free to explain what "Ancient Swiss Medical Qigong" is and provide sources.

It teaches how to move the body in the most effective, powerful, efficient and natural way. Sure you don't see that in the snippets of clips, but that is because you don't know what I am doing and why I am doing it.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In this case I'd be happy to start out with just a clip of you moving your body in a highly effective, powerful, efficient, and natural way. Once we have that, we can discuss what qualifies as "most" with regard to those qualities.

so I defend the innovation ....we are all immature and getting better...he had the balls to do this and post....we were all younger once....so I think in time this innovation will catch on....

I totally understand youthful enthusiasm. I think many of us, when we were at the point of having a little bit of experience in a few different arts, had a dream of creating a new system of our own that combined those different arts. Some people actually carry through and do it. Of those, a small percentage end up creating something really solid that passes the test of time.

If you look at those arts which really met success, despite being created by relatively inexperienced martial artists, they had to prove themselves. It wasn't just a matter of putting out advertising copy which said "this is the best thing ever, trust me!"

Bruce Lee had just a relatively modest base in Wing Chun, Boxing, and a smattering of other Kung Fu styles when he created JKD. However he was also a physically talented workaholic who trained with, taught, learned from and impressed some of the top martial artists and fighters of his day. He demonstrated his skills publically without fear of critical judgment. These factors, combined with the students he left behind and the fame from his movie career, resulted in JKD being an established, enduring art.

Carlos Gracie had just 2-3 years of "jiu-jitsu" (really judo) training before he started teaching. However he and his brothers and their students and extended family devoted decades to developing their art and proving its effectiveness through challenge matches against all comers. Thus the modern popularity of BJJ.

If Mr. Landry hopes to emulate the success of founders such as these, then he will need to put his art out for all to see and try to impress through the quality of his technique rather than the hyperbole of his sales pitch*. More importantly, to my mind, he will need to work on improving the quality of his technique so it can live up to his sales pitch - but that's just my opinion. Anyone who doesn't know me or my qualifications for making such a judgment is advised to take my opinions with a grain of salt.

*(Personally I would probably place some of the responsibility for said hyperbole on Mr. Landry's coach, Russell Stutely. Mr. Stutely also makes grandiose claims on his website. He's the one who made Mr. Landry a coach in his system after a couple years of video training and one month of in-person training. He has also apparently given his approval to Mr. Landry's new creation and business approach.)

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
The reason I took the videos down is because they are shown out of context and I was being overwhelmed by your attacks. Have you ever been a room where multiple people are making fun of you? Hard to come back with anything. In a multiple attacker situation, best thing to do is get out of there.

That's the risk you take when you put yourself up for public review.

OP
WW3 Combatives

WW3 Combatives

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Ancient Swiss Medical Qigong is a real thing. It is not a martial art. It is a system of stretching and exercise that focuses on Postural health, proper muscle length, creating balance in the body and incredible strength. The man that created this system is Edward Feuz. He does not advertise it. It is very similar to what Paul Check teaches but better. I am not a coach in this system. I am just someone that has been practicing and living it for the past 3+ years. I broke my back when I was 21 and it is the only thing that has helped me. It taught me how the body is supposed to move. In our lives we become very much out of balance and this causes pain and overtime limits our ability to move our bodies freely. It brings us back to the physical state we were in when we were children. Ed is now 70 years old, has a 10 pack and can lift 3 times his body weight. At his strongest he was lifting 6 times his body weight, which is unheard of. His family line are Swiss Mountain climbers. They know exactly what they are doing when it comes to developing incredible strength and endurance. They were the ones that marked the route for the railway system in the Rocky Mountains. I will break down the name Ancient Swiss Medical Qigong, the way it was explained to me. Ancient(Our original design), Swiss(Comes from Swiss Mountain Climbers), Medical(Can cure any physical imbalance), Qigong(uses and develops energy in the body through proper breathing through every movement).

The way I have incorporated this into my system is by keeping everything within proper healthy human movement. Using our natural range of motion. Everything connects to the core, I use joint focus, large muscle groups. Fight or Flight are the natural reactions to stress. All the muscles used in Flight are also the same muscles that are used in Fight. Not saying I am the first person to realize this. I am just saying that Ancient Swiss Medical Qigong supports this and shows it on a level which most people are not aware of. Wing Chun is the only Kung Fu that what designed around human movement. When I started traininig in ASMQ I was able to understand what I was doing incorrectly. My imbalances caused me natural do things wrong.

My training in martial arts is not a joke. I have been training the past 14 years and I train everyday. It is my life. My certifications are not from weekend seminars. I earned my rankings and I train very hard. I understand why you would attack me. A lot of people in the martial arts world talk the talk but have never walked the walk. I have trained with what I consider amazing teachers, who also trained with amazing teachers. Their knowledge and experience has been passed on to me.

I know what I am offering is different. It is like nothing I've seen before. The combination of the 3 systems works so great together. They are all systems that are based on principles (Self Defense Traininng System, Wing Chun Kung Fu and Open Circle Fighting Method. I believe practicing principles is the best and most effective way to practice martial arts and combatives. It is about learning how to move the body and then using this understanding in all the techniques. It creates a base that the student can work from, a consistency that works through out the entire system.

I understand that people here have been training way longer than me. Which is awesome. I am not taking anything away from them. I do very much appreciate all the comments. My ego took a shot haha, but after stepping back and looking at all the comments with a clear and calm eye I was able to see what everyone was saying. It's not that I don't know what I'm talking about or that my form is bad. It is that my videos are seen out of context and there is no explanation to why I am doing what I am doing in the videos.

I never said I was a knife expert. They are 2 videos out of 162 of a complete system. If you were to have watched the entire striking module the knife videos would make total sense. My mistake was to share them without the background to go with them. Which leads to misunderstanding and barge of bashing lol.

What is it that you train in? This will give me a better understanding of where you are coming and why you see things the way you do.

OP
WW3 Combatives

WW3 Combatives

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Easily fixed. Give us a link that describes the system, who teaches it, what its origins are, etc.
Edward Feuz is the creator of Ancient Swiss Medical Qigong. It is not a martial art. It is a system of stretching and exercise that supports postural health. Postural health is maintained through proper muscle length and balance. This is achieved through the stretching and exercises. I will break down the name. Ancient (Our original human design), Swiss (Comes from Swiss Mountain Climbers), Medical (You can correct any and all physical imbalances. Imbalances cause many different illnesses), Qigong (The exercises which are supported by belly breathing, develops energy in a similar way to the art of Qigong).

Ed has been training since he was a child. When he was born, one side of his body was shorter than the other. So his family worked with him and taught him many things. He has also had many injuries that should have paralized him. One of his lower vertebrae has been completely destroyed. Like it isn't even there anymore. Even with all of this he is in perfect balance. He is 70 years old, has a 10 pack and can lift 3 times his body weight. At his strongest, he was able to lift 6 times his body weight, he could do 1000 push ups with out stopping and could jump 5' high. I know it sounds impossible but it is true. I am no where near that.

I broke my back when I was 21 and this is the only thing that has helped me. I have been training in this system for 3+ years and because of having to correct my injury it is taking me longer to progress through the system. It has taught me a great deal about my body and has taken my once debilitating pain away. The understanding it has given me has allowed me to look at my Martial Arts and Combatives in a different way. I know the world has no idea what ASMQ is. This system focuses on pulling instead of pushing. When you practise pulling to develop pushing strength, it is like pulling back on a sling shot. Developing the back muscles actually pulls on the pecs causing them to open up. Which engages them and makes them function. Shoulders back and down, not pronated forward. The stuff I have learned so far totally rewired what I had originally thought. All those years of training my body incorrectly, so much wasted time. It was a big shot to the ego but one that I accepted fully. I was in a great deal of pain and I wanted it to end.

Ed owns a gym called Rocky Mountain Health and Fitness in Nelson BC. Canada. He does consider his knowledge in a way a secret. He does not advertise, he doesn't need to. The amount of people he gets from refferals is more than he can handle already.

I hope my explanation helps. I am not a coach in this system. Simply a student that now understands his body on a whole new level.

Latest Discussions