Knife Fight of Special Forces Experts

martialartpro

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Guys!

I found this video where two guys (named by author of the video as SPECIAL FORCES EXPERTS OF KNIFE FIGHT)

fight each other with wooden knives.
On a lot of martial art forums and on Youtube opinions about those guys is divided, one group of people saying that this is fake and those guys is

"They are not special forces. That is obvious. Fake *** titles."

and next group of people is saying that knife fight is near to real.

As for me I clearly understand that all those promos (demonstration) like this video for example

is ofcourse far far away from reality. But this sparring, despite strange technique both of them use is seems to be more real then fake.
What is your opinion? Maybe some of you had real knife vs knife fight experience.

(Sorry for my language Emglish is not my native, and is not so fluent as I want it to be :) )

Last edited by a moderator:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Top video...probably what a "real" knife fight between two people really trying to kill each other with blades. The bottom video...probably what a skilled attack with a knife would look like vs. an actual "fight".

OP
M

martialartpro

White Belt
Reaction score
Top video...probably what a "real" knife fight between two people really trying to kill each other with blades. The bottom video...probably what a skilled attack with a knife would look like vs. an actual "fight".

Am I understand you right? You mean that guys on top video is not skilled enough to show something like master on the below video during the sparring?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The problem with the first video was the sparring aspect. Neither was committed to entering and finishing the contest. As a result the smaller guy, who was trying to get in, had his wrist or forearm 'cut' several times. In a real fight that could have had a major impact. It is what we call 'defanging the snake' or 'slice and dice'. A number of small wounds adding up to major impairment.

The second video showed how the guy can enter and finish an attack, but the 'attacker' lunges and leaves his arm out to be trapped. Neither video was real fighting but both could be termed real training.

OP
M

martialartpro

White Belt
Reaction score
The problem with the first video was the sparring aspect. Neither was committed to entering and finishing the contest. As a result the smaller guy, who was trying to get in, had his wrist or forearm 'cut' several times. In a real fight that could have had a major impact. It is what we call 'defanging the snake' or 'slice and dice'. A number of small wounds adding up to major impairment.

The second video showed how the guy can enter and finish an attack, but the 'attacker' lunges and leaves his arm out to be trapped. Neither video was real fighting but both could be termed real training.

Thanks for your answer. The question which is bother me is "How would you use techniques like this which was shown in below video during fight or even a sparring with average skilled opponent who will not
"leaves his arm out to be trapped"." All knife fight demonstration which I found on Youtube or seen in real life was based on "unskilled attacker" vs "knife fight guru", but would it be possible that "master like on below video" would show his "gung-fu" on average skilled guys like on "top video" who trying to keep distance.

"A number of small wounds adding up to major impairment" - you think that if it was real knives such wound might been called "small wound"? You are saying that after such trauma opponent can still fight and this wouldn't be enough to finish fight quick?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer. The question which is bother me is "How would you use techniques like this which was shown in below video during fight or even a sparring with average skilled opponent who will not
"leaves his arm out to be trapped"." All knife fight demonstration which I found on Youtube or seen in real life was based on "unskilled attacker" vs "knife fight guru", but would it be possible that "master like on below video" would show his "gung-fu" on average skilled guys like on "top video" who trying to keep distance.

The second video was typical of Filipino style fighting and the guy was obviously highly skilled because it was fluent or smooth. IMHO he wouldn't be attacking but would wait to be attacked, much like the bigger guy in the first video.

"A number of small wounds adding up to major impairment" - you think that if it was real knives such wound might been called "small wound"? You are saying that after such trauma opponent can still fight and this wouldn't be enough to finish fight quick?

Yes.
I haven't time for a longer answer now, but will check back later. :asian:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Special forces guys are taught to use a knife for one reason and it is not to fight one on one with knives. So special forces would probably do less knife defence training than a good martial art school. They have other weapons to rely on. So the guys in the video, to me, were just having a bit of fun. On the street, it's a lot different. If you both have knives you have a reasonable chance of getting away. If you choose to stay you have a better than evens chance of being badly cut.

If you are trapped, and unarmed, and up against a committed attacker you'd best hope that your skills were as good as the guy in the second video. You're probably still going to get cut but you might get to survive the attack.

Your question seems to be, "How would the guys in the top video fare against the guy in the second?" If that is what you mean I would venture that there is still a good chance he would get cut. I would also believe he would probably wait for the attacker to make a committed attack before trying to enter and take control of the knife arm. That is fine against a thrust but very difficult against multiple slashes. Once again it all comes back to this ..... if you can, get out of the way while you can. :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The shirtless guy in the top video is good but it's very risky to do that thigh cut he keeps scoring with. It works more often than you'd think because it surprises people but when it fails you get stabbed in your (waist-high and forward) face.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The shirtless guy in the top video is good but it's very risky to do that thigh cut he keeps scoring with. It works more often than you'd think because it surprises people but when it fails you get stabbed in your (waist-high and forward) face.
Plus, he was hit on the upper arm a number of times and near the wrist a few more. Would have been interesting to see it with paint on the blades.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Knives are better for attacking someone than they are for "fighting". If you are in a "knife fight" your tactics suck.

Latest Discussions