Find a video I really like on knife practice

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not watch the whole 20 minute video. But I have to say I do not care at all for how he's holding the knife in the photo icon. His thumb is begging to get broken, and his grip is loose, with the blade coming out distal to the PIP joint. That's weak. In the bit of the video I watched, he holds the knife by making a fist, with the blade coming out between the 2nd and 3rd MCP joints. Much better.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you working overtime to temp me into push dagger. The more I watch, the more I like it. It fits right into my kick boxing, just punching with the push dagger!! Too bad it's illegal unless open carry and it just look too too much like a weapon when open carry. I might be asking for more trouble then to avoid trouble!!!

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did not watch the whole 20 minute video. But I have to say I do not care at all for how he's holding the knife in the photo icon. His thumb is begging to get broken, and his grip is loose, with the blade coming out distal to the PIP joint. That's weak. In the bit of the video I watched, he holds the knife by making a fist, with the blade coming out between the 2nd and 3rd MCP joints. Much better.
You mean his thumb was straight point out in one of his movement at the early part. He did change to a conventional fist like holding to punch in the later part of the video.

Yes, I would not hold with my thumb straight point out. Even in my original video in post #1, the guy had his thumb straight out pointing straight ahead too. For slashing, the thumb helps to push the knife forward, it should be safe. But he thrust with thumb straight out like that also. When I practice, I change my thumb to like a fist before I thrust. So I have move my thumb back and fore between slashing and thrusting.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I forgot to talk about slashing part. I do NOT swing the arm like in a lot of the videos, that requires a lot of space. It won't work in crowded situation. I practice using what I learn from stick fight by Blindside(Lamont Glass) here. Here is the video he did for me. It's call CASTING. which he "cast" the stick forward while swinging. This result in a much tighter swing radius, like combining forward motion and swing together.

Even for cane, I practice in narrow hallway and still can hit quite hard without the wild swing. I use the same technique with knife, I can literally slash in space as narrow as about 6" extra on each side of my body. I use the same idea of using body and shoulder rotation to add to the rotating force so I don't have to let my arm out to get a big circle.

I don't know, I am only 2 weeks into this. I just try to make use of what I learn from stick fight and kick boxing to mix into knife fighting.

I am too old to go to school, even if I really go to school, it would be stick fight fight before this. I just do the best I can and try in incorporate stuffs from kick boxing and stick fight into it.
Slightly less known FMA style.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Slightly less known FMA style.
I looked into Tapado in some detail already when I was searching for videos on stick fight. I do two handed stick using a heavy crook cane, that's why Tapado would have been the closest thing. BUT it is NOT.

Tapado uses long stick, it's not good for close quarter and in crowded situation. Even for a shorter cane, I have to concentrate on how to fight in close quarters. Also, Tapado bounce the stick on the ground to stop the stick, the cane is too short to do that and more importantly, it's feels so stupid to bounce the stick on the floor!!!

Honestly, I yet to find any style of stick fight I like, most fight as if they have a totally open space on a flat ground with nobody around, just the opponent. The only one I found that is good is the video from Lamont Glass I posted in post #29 in page 2. I practice in the living room with all the furniture, in hall way with walls around. Most of the styles won't work. Irish stick fight is about the only one that can be a little compact, BUT I just don't see power in their moves. They bounce the short end of the stick on the elbow for recoil to pull back the stick, I just don't see power in their way.

Swinging the stick with two hands not only gives easier control in tight space and hitting harder. Another just as important is it's less likely for the stick to fly off the hand when swing and miss or hitting something unexpected along the way(common in real life situation which is not like a big empty space in competition). I spend a lot of time practice hit and miss to get use to holding on to the stick. Believe me, losing the stick is more common than people think. That's the reason I carry the folding knife as back up if I lose the cane. I have no intention pulling out the knife if I can help it, only the last resort.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions