Knee Brace Recommendation?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks! That would be great!

Can't you share it publicly?

I know a couple of women who could possibly benefit...

My apologies at being so late getting back to you guys. Been helping a guy with some editing, so every time I turned on the laptop, that's where I went.

Anyway, rather than bore you with my notes, I'll cut to the exercise in the gym. But you might want to do a little googling of "Q angle of the knee" and 'Valgus in knee".

Here's an easy way to check alignment in the knee and correct it if necessary, or just work it to strengthen.

Stand in front of a mirror and do a lunge. Watch the angle of your forward knee in relation to your foot and hip. Due to hip structure in women, the knee will sometimes "float' inwards. That's bad, and it can lead to non contact injuries/tears in the knee. But it's pretty easy to correct.

If the knee drifts inward, extend your opposite arm while doing the lunge and using the flat of your hand inside the knee to keep it in line. [Some people prefer to use the arm on the same side, using the back of the hand] Return to standing position and repeat in sets. Within a few weeks you can correct this fairly easily.

Two supplemental exercises to help strengthen and alleviate knee ills, and are ideal for martial strength, are lateral squat shuffles - just stay in a squat, good back position of course, and laterally shuffle back and forth. BUT control the alignment of the knee by concentrating on the muscles of the leg, not the structure of the knee.

And finally, everyone's favorite [said nobody, ever] Russian Hamstring curls.

Best of luck going forward. And, yes, the Russian Curls really suck.
And if you do them, you need to increase your quad work, too.

OP
LittleChick

LittleChick

White Belt
Reaction score
My apologies at being so late getting back to you guys. Been helping a guy with some editing, so every time I turned on the laptop, that's where I went.

Anyway, rather than bore you with my notes, I'll cut to the exercise in the gym. But you might want to do a little googling of "Q angle of the knee" and 'Valgus in knee".

Here's an easy way to check alignment in the knee and correct it if necessary, or just work it to strengthen.

Stand in front of a mirror and do a lunge. Watch the angle of your forward knee in relation to your foot and hip. Due to hip structure in women, the knee will sometimes "float' inwards. That's bad, and it can lead to non contact injuries/tears in the knee. But it's pretty easy to correct.

If the knee drifts inward, extend your opposite arm while doing the lunge and using the flat of your hand inside the knee to keep it in line. [Some people prefer to use the arm on the same side, using the back of the hand] Return to standing position and repeat in sets. Within a few weeks you can correct this fairly easily.

Two supplemental exercises to help strengthen and alleviate knee ills, and are ideal for martial strength, are lateral squat shuffles - just stay in a squat, good back position of course, and laterally shuffle back and forth. BUT control the alignment of the knee by concentrating on the muscles of the leg, not the structure of the knee.

And if you do them, you need to increase your quad work, too.[

Cool, Buka! Thanks! I did learn in PT that my knees tend to drift inward, but now I know what I can do to correct it. I'll try those Russian hamstring curls.

And if you do them, you need to increase your quad work, too.

Cool! Thanks, Buka! I did learn in PT that my knees do drift inward and now I know how I can correct that. Much appreciated!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks, Buka! I did learn in PT that my knees do drift inward and now I know how I can correct that. Much appreciated!

It's worked very well for us over the years.

One other thing - that drill where you injured it, partner holding the belt and all. If you can, the better way to do that is with elastic cords. Like the ones in your PT unit. Medium ones to start.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's worked very well for us over the years.

One other thing - that drill where you injured it, partner holding the belt and all. If you can, the better way to do that is with elastic cords. Like the ones in your PT unit. Medium ones to start.
If I was a bit better informed on using those, I’d buy that stuff by the roll.

Latest Discussions