KKW instructor course almost here!!!

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So who else is going? I will probably stand out as I will be wearing my USAT official do bok. Just kidding. But seriously, who else is attending?
I got the booklet and most of the info is crap. The part about CPR is out dated. The Injury management/Care is unrealistic and could land you with a lawsuit (in my state) if you are not a doctor. The history that is given is false/made up/altered.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So who else is going? I will probably stand out as I will be wearing my USAT official do bok. Just kidding. But seriously, who else is attending?
I got the booklet and most of the info is crap. The part about CPR is out dated. The Injury management/Care is unrealistic and could land you with a lawsuit (in my state) if you are not a doctor. The history that is given is false/made up/altered.

I will not be attending this one, due to being tapped on funds (Going to Korea with the USTC next month). However, I may pop up and say hi to some of the people in the evening time.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be there. I can't wait!

LaurenTKD pointed out that on page 43 there is a vague explanation of what to do for "Subligual Hematoma of the Toe" that involves using the pointed end of a paper clip heated up to relieve the pressure. Yeah, I don't see that happening. I love some of the Hanglish translations of things in the textbook.:boing2:

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
See you all there. I hope I can get through the materials. Getting home at 8 on non class nights and 11 if I train. Its been brutal. Just like school....I may have to wing it ; )

Dave O.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be there. I can't wait!

LaurenTKD pointed out that on page 43 there is a vague explanation of what to do for "Subligual Hematoma of the Toe" that involves using the pointed end of a paper clip heated up to relieve the pressure. Yeah, I don't see that happening. I love some of the Hanglish translations of things in the textbook.:boing2:
Actually, that is exactly the right way to treat a hematoma under the nail. OK, so if it were me, I'd use a sterile 18g needle, but that is because I have things like that available to me. You make a hole through the nail, the blood drains out, which relieves the pressure and stops the pain.

I have not seen the text you're referring to, but I'd be happy to post a review of the medical section, if anybody cares to share.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, that is exactly the right way to treat a hematoma under the nail. OK, so if it were me, I'd use a sterile 18g needle, but that is because I have things like that available to me. You make a hole through the nail, the blood drains out, which relieves the pressure and stops the pain.

I have not seen the text you're referring to, but I'd be happy to post a review of the medical section, if anybody cares to share.

The detail you added about HOW to do it is sorely missing from the KKW manual. The other funny part is the idea that any instructor (not medically trained) needs only a paper clip on the dojang floor to treat this injury.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The detail you added about HOW to do it is sorely missing from the KKW manual. The other funny part is the idea that any instructor (not medically trained) needs only a paper clip on the dojang floor to treat this injury.

The devil is in the details. :)
As I said, while I don't feel competent to critique the entire text, I'd certainly be happy to post a review of the medical commentary, if anybody would like to share it with me.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Done it myself, to myself a couple of times (Fingers and Toes) with a sewing needle. You make it red hot with a lighter or match and it goes theu the nail easier than a hot knife thru butter. The only surprise is how easy it happens and no pain from the procedure.

I would highly reccomend a dab of anti biotic ointment and band aid afterword and no soaking of the foot until the wound closes. You need to prevent bacteria from migrating into the wound before it has a good chance to close.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

ROFLMAO?

So if the content is crap/dangerous, why go?

And I am not asking to be snarky, just wondering. I am in a program that requires red cross type first aide certification (we do take a course from them for the yearly refresher) and at least 1 year if ongoing engagements (including tournament and workshop mandates)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ROFLMAO?

So if the content is crap/dangerous, why go?

And I am not asking to be snarky, just wondering. I am in a program that requires red cross type first aide certification (we do take a course from them for the yearly refresher) and at least 1 year if ongoing engagements (including tournament and workshop mandates)

Actually a current CPR/ First Aid card is required for the course. I'm not sure why they put this stuff in the manual.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Done it myself, to myself a couple of times (Fingers and Toes) with a sewing needle. You make it red hot with a lighter or match and it goes theu the nail easier than a hot knife thru butter. The only surprise is how easy it happens and no pain from the procedure.

I would highly reccomend a dab of anti biotic ointment and band aid afterword and no soaking of the foot until the wound closes. You need to prevent bacteria from migrating into the wound before it has a good chance to close.

I know this too is VERY off topic, however, I have to ask. Would you do that treatment to one of your students in the dojang, Master Weiss? My guess is no you would not. I find it an odd thing to recommend in the medical section of a TKD text.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't help but be amused.

What in the world are you guys doing that you need the redneck's cure for a mashed up limb tip? You get bruised toenails a lot? I have heard of that remedy before, from my husband, who, coming from not so well off farm stock has a myriad of home remedies, some of which work remarkably well. Just they used a pocket knife to dig the hole into a fingernail which had the dubious pleasure to meet the underside of a swinging hammer. But the glowing metal piece makes more sense and sounds safer.

And no, in the US of A I would not, under no circumstance do that in the dojang to a student. And not only because my Sabum does not like to see blood but the liability is too great.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know this too is VERY off topic, however, I have to ask. Would you do that treatment to one of your students in the dojang, Master Weiss? My guess is no you would not. I find it an odd thing to recommend in the medical section of a TKD text.

It's probably worth pointing out that America is the home of the Lawsuit Lottery. Many parts of the world are not anywhere near as litiginous.

That being said, I would drain a hematoma under certain circumstances. I don't necessarily suggest that others do so (see above...) but I likewise would not discourage someone from draining their own hematoma.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't help but be amused.

What in the world are you guys doing that you need the redneck's cure for a mashed up limb tip? You get bruised toenails a lot? I have heard of that remedy before, from my husband, who, coming from not so well off farm stock has a myriad of home remedies, some of which work remarkably well. Just they used a pocket knife to dig the hole into a fingernail which had the dubious pleasure to meet the underside of a swinging hammer. But the glowing metal piece makes more sense and sounds safer.

And no, in the US of A I would not, under no circumstance do that in the dojang to a student. And not only because my Sabum does not like to see blood but the liability is too great.

It's not a readneck remedy. If you show up in the ED with this injury, guess what we're going to do? We're going to drain it. The method described is the simplest method. By preference, we use a cautery pen. The tip is wire and looks much like a soldering iron. Press the button and it's red hot. Touch the nail and it burns right through. If we didn't have a cautery pen handy, a needle will work as well. Takes a bit more pressure, since it's not hot, but it will still work.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
We are asking why its in there when the course is designed for a world wide application. Maybe here in the states you would not touch it due to lawsuits and 911 availabilty but if you relocate to El Salvador and have a school the information may take on new light.

Dave O.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not a readneck remedy. If you show up in the ED with this injury, guess what we're going to do? We're going to drain it. The method described is the simplest method. By preference, we use a cautery pen. The tip is wire and looks much like a soldering iron. Press the button and it's red hot. Touch the nail and it burns right through. If we didn't have a cautery pen handy, a needle will work as well. Takes a bit more pressure, since it's not hot, but it will still work.

Well, I suppose, but considering my Mom is a retired health care professional, did her time in ER situations and had no idea how easy to relieve her suffering when she hit her fingers - AGAIN - doing one of her million and one home improvement projects.

But it still does not answer my question: What IN THE WORLD are you guys doinf in the Dojang that that actually made it into the manual! I mean, it takes some concentrated force to accomplish a bruised nail, I can't think of a technique - short of hitting someone with a hammer - that would cause that. :)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looking forward to the Course and meeting the other MT'ers. I'll be the short old guy who looks like the short guy in my avatar surrounded by the other guy in my avatar and the biggest and funniest guy at the Course. Those are going to be 3 long days so please do not just bring 1 dobok!

The Textbook being discussed is a .pdf of this year's Coursebook used at the Instructor Course in Korea. As such, it is not just for US consumption.

When I went to the 2004 Course in Korea, there were folks from a number of countries which I assume do not have the level of medical care (or for that matter, the number of lawyers! :) present in the US: Nepal, China, Turkey, and Pakistan to name a few (and no offense intended towards citizens of those countries).

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But it still does not answer my question: What IN THE WORLD are you guys doinf in the Dojang that that actually made it into the manual! I mean, it takes some concentrated force to accomplish a bruised nail, I can't think of a technique - short of hitting someone with a hammer - that would cause that. :)

How about when you drop all those boards you are about to break on your toe??

I'll be there and looking forward to meeting you all!

Latest Discussions