A few informatioanl corrections

D

DoctorB

The following are statements made by Bob Hubbard, which I find to be in error and in need of correction bacause the statements made are based on assumptions not clearly defined facts:

>The interesting thing is that to the best of my knowledge, Bram >Frank and Tom Bolden are friends of Barbers, as well as >business associates. (Barber is a distributor for Brams >"Gunting", for example.) Dan Anderson regularly does seminars >with Barber when he is in town. The endorement lacks >impartiality.

Here we go again, half truths based on faulty information and speculation. I am so glad that you couched your remarks with the expression "…to the best of my knowledge…" because you are in error. Both Bram and Tom are long time friends and I was introduced to both of them through Professor Presas. We ARE NOT business associates!!!

I am not and never have been a distributor of the "Gunting" for Bram or Spyderco! You are in total error! I believe that the "Gunting" is the best combat folding knife on the market to date and no other knife that I am aware of has the three functions of impact, joint-locking and cutting within one tool.
I am a dedicated cheerleader and make no apology for that, but
I AM NOT a distributor! BTW, you and all of the other local WMAA people missed Bram's 2002 Gunting Seminars in September 2002. Perhaps if some of your friends and classmates had attended the seminars and/or the Symposium, you would understand why I am willing to work toward gettting a wider recognition of the potentials of the "Gunting" for self defense
and LEO usage!

Regarding Dan Anderson, we meet in 2002 and I did help him get several seminars in 2003. I helped a friend and my Modern Arnis senior because that is exactly what I would do for anyone whose abilities/skills/personality I respect. Am I to believe that only the WMAA people are allowed to help someone? Or if someone is a WMAA member they should not accept my help or work with me?

Think what you want of my review and endorsement, but get your facts straight. Beware of the criticism that you are throwing out, because you have a conflict of interest when you side with the WMAA on any matters, since that group is a sponsor of your forum. What applies to one should apply to all.

>Additionally, Tim Kashino & Paul Martin are or were students of >Barbers. Both Vargas and Muhammad have or had a business >relationship with Barber. I am unaware of what relationship >there is with Mr. Ralston.

Actually, Bob, Guro Kashino and Guro Martin, are long past being my students… they are "former students" and are referred to as "my training partners" since they opened their own training programs years ago. They have long ago ceased to be under my influence nor do they have to worry about what I think. Both Kashino and Martin, were presenters in their own right, representing themselves, not me or the IEAA at the Symposium.

With regard to Sifu Vargas, this was my first opportunity to work with him as a presenter at a program that I coordinated. I have witnessed his continued development as a student of PG Tom Bolden over a 6 – 7 year period and I believed that he ready to assume a prominent position as a lead teacher in the FMAs without regard to any particular system.

I first met Sensei/Guro Muhammad in 2001 at the GOE2. I invited him to teach at the Eskrima-Kenpo Camp in 2002 in Buffalo. BTW, you missed that one too, even though your instructor was a presenter. Guro Muhammad’s presentations in 2002 were so well received by the people in attendance, I asked him to be on the Symposium instructional team. My faith in his abilities was more than vindicated at the Symposium when he was given one of the highest ratings by the participants and the peers who evaluated him. Please note, I did not have a vote. One of the people in attendance, who has gone to some 8 to 10 seminars and camps with Guro Muhammad, but have never seen him teach was amazed at the level of skills demonstrated by this man. He expressed a genuine feeling of respect for someone whom he thought that he knew, only to realize that there was much more that his friend could and did do as a martial artist with his training in four disciplines. BTW, your instructor refused to participate as a peer evaluator at the Symposium… his own decision to make, but he was asked.

You are playing too fast and loose with the term "business associates".

>All of those cited by Dr. Barber as being exceptional are in some >way connected to him. Those he does not mention, are not. >The 'Rub' being given in this review smacks of 'good ol >boy'ness.

I am sorry Bobby, but I must correct you again! I have been associated with one of the people whom I did not mention for quite some time. In fact I have known him since about 1984 when he first begining his Modern Arnis studies under Guro John Bryant at the Filipino Martial Arts Academy in Amherst, NY. He and I co-hosted Professor at semnars and camps from 1987 - 1994. I also attended his WMAA Camps in West Seneca in 2002 and 2003. However, since he stated that the Symposium meant nothing to him, why should I connect him to an event that he clearly and publicly dismissed? It was his call and I merely took and accepted him at his word.

The "old boy" concept can be said for you, your friends and associates who have engaged in all of the "barber-bashing" even though most have never met me, trained with me, or attended the Symposium. They are relying on second hand information and reacting to what has already been posted. It is so easy to be critical of me, but since I relied on the evaluations of each instructor as given by the Symposium participants and their peers, your baseless charge of "olboy’ness" is without merit. In addition, you should ask your WMAA associates who attended to Symposium, if evaluations forms were handed out to each and every person on the floor after each presentation on Friday and Saturday. You were not there, so you would not know without asking. My review was based on the scores that the participants gave. And aside from telling you and this forum readership about the evaluations, I have not and will not go into who got the highest and lowest ratings or any gradation in between. That was never the purpose behind the evaluations. The ratings simply allowed me to make a small distinction in certificate titles presnted at the closing of the Symposium.

>The instructors I was interested in seeing bailed, and the >majority of those placed on the bill held little interest to me >given the lack of Arnis flavor. I train with Tim, and support his >events.

Now that last one is not a biased statement is it? I have hosted 3 events in the Buffalo area since joining martial talk and posted announcements about each one. You have never attended one! On the other hand I have attended two (2) WMMA Camps, but
according to you, I am the one who is biased?!

>I've seen Dan at a few camps and am currently (slowly) working >through his books. The only 'name' in the Arnis world that was >still on the bill, and made it in was Dieter. I regret not spending >more time chatting with him when I had the chance b4 the >event. The rest of the bill either were outside my areas of >interest, or weren't Arnis. I wanted to see Kelly Worden, Dan M. >and a few of the other names who dropped out. The >replacements didn't interest me, competent though they were.

Thank you for allowing that the replacements were competent, but this is an already tired refrain, Bobby! I have seen this one too many times prior to the Symposium to take it seriously now that the event has come and gone. You are also showing your bias when you resort to the ‘name’ and ‘big name’ context. The Symposium was all about coming together to share information and demonstrate skills. It was never presnted by me as being about ranks, titles and major or minor organizations. That is your stated position, not mine!

In fact some of your readers have, in the past, prior to the Symposium, been very critical of people like Datu Kelly Worden, Dr. Randi Shea, The MoTTs, Jeff Delaney and Lisa McManus. Now you want to turn the world upside down and contend that your non-attendance was predicated on the fact that these people did not attend and present!? Bobby, that is a very bad case of wanting to have it both ways. And I have to ask you this pertinant question that I have asked on another thread, "what do you mean by the term arnis and what exactly is the real Remy Presas Modern Arnis, from your perspective"?

It is also interesting to me that you and others have expressed such a concern that Datu Kelly Worden was not going to be attending the Symposium, but ignored the fact that some people whom he named as important Modern Arnis instructors were going to be on the program: Tom Bolden, Bram Frank, David Ng and Dan Anderson - see realfighting.com, volume 4, Datu Kelly's interview. Your statement is just a bit too self-serving.

BTW, if I were able to arrange for Datu Kelly to come to Buffalo for a seminar or weekend camp, could I count on you to attend? More importantly, would you be willing to pay up-front?

>I think a more important point here is, for an event that was so >big, the fact that the 'names' and players choose to avoid it >speaks volumes. Dr.B did get 2 out of the 6 Datus to instruct. >But Kelly and Tim are regularly doing that. There were no >Presas' there...They were at Kellys. Of the US based >organizations, neither IMAF faction, nor the WMAC had a >leadship presence. Only the WMAA was there in person. Dieter >represented Germany...but where was the Philipians rep? At >Kellys.

Bobby, you are assuming that these people did not attend because of me! However, you are absolutely incorrect! You and your friends need to re-read some of Datu Kelly’s remarks written prior to the Symposium on both your forum and his own. His was never critical of me! He was critical of some East Coast people and the "war" that they were engaged in.

You do not know about the private conversations that I had with some of the people that you are intimating passed on the Symposium because of who was putting it on. No, no, my boy, the real reason some people did not want to participate was because of several other factors, expressed in confidence and which I will hold in confidence. I do not make private messages and discussions public on a forum so as to enlarge my own image or create an illusion to the truth. And if you are saying that only the Presas Kids can be the Philippines rep at a Modern Arnis event, you have most certainly insulted and ignored a large number of other people. Again your arrogance and biases are showing.

>So, given the choice between training with a few folks I've >already seen, and the replacement B team, or doing something fun, exciting and possibly profitable, I picked the later.

>Bob Hubbard 10-14-2003

That "replacement B team" as you have referred to them, has more skill, knowledge and background in Modern Arnis than
most of the people currently training within the art. In addition
no one on the WMAA leadership team was at the 2 week camps under Professor, nor is it very likely that they even attended the one week camps. I have the official rosters of both of the 2 week camps, no WMAA, IMAF, or IMAF Inc leader aside from Dr. Randi Schea, appears on the rosters. The "replacement B team" is represented on the rosters that I have.

In addition, if you refer back to Datu Kelly's interview mentioned above, you should take note of the fact that PG Tom Bolden, PG Billy Brayant, PG Douglas Pierre and Datu Kelly were the FIRST Modern Arnis instructors to be recognized outside of the IMAF and Professor, for their skills and positive presentations of the art. That was at the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame in 1993. I was recognized in 1994 by the same organization, in part because of my demonstration of the Modern Arnis at the 1993 event and for establishment of the Erie Community College martial arts program for academic credit which was approved by Professor Pesas. I like the "replacement B team" because the members have a very high skill level.

>The simple truth is that of all the major US orgs, only the WMAA >was there, and were repayed by Barbers little game of one->upmanship. Its a case of someone who doesn't have much 'pull' >in the Arnis world trying to be the big fish, and the real big fish >mostly ignored him.

Well, well, well, here we go again, now it is about the "major" and minor organizations. The perception of the WMAA as a "major" organization is yours. It can certainly be shared by others, however that does not make it a fact and there are people who would disagree with you. Since I have never engaged in defining "major" and "minor" designations this point is moot for me.

How quickly you have sided with the IMAF and IMAF Inc., plus Datu Kelly Worden when it suits your purposes. "Big Fish"? I think not! I never wanted to be known as such in the Modern Arnis World. All of my drive was directed toward getting a good variety of teachers to come to Buffalo to teach me and my students above and beyond Modern Arnis. If there is a good Modern Arnis player coming to the Buffalo area then my students and I will attend the event. If someone is coming into the region, I will try to get them to do a seminar for us. For instance, some of my students I will be attending the seminar to be given by Datu Shishir Inocalla, on November 16. Will you be there? Will any of your classmates be attending? Is Datu Shishir, a big enough name and major player for you?

As for what I said at the Symposium and/or in my posts to this or any other forum, I will stand behind my words. There was no gamesmanship or one-up-manship at the Symposium. I said what I meant! If someone did not like it or disagreed with it, then they should have had the strength of their convictions to talk with me at the Symposium. That did not happen!!! I was available and I spoke with most of the people at the event, so if someone failed to open a discussion with me, they should stand up and accept the responsibility for their own mistake.

>……..even with 3 of the 4 Top names in the Arnis world (Dan, >Dieter and Tim) at the >event, it still failed to be the 'event of >the century' as it was billed. Purhaps more time should have >been spent on promotion (a web site woulda been nice as a >central clearing >house of information) and organization (Food >Good) than the behind the scenes crap involving Barber and a >few of his students. Maybe letting people know about changes >in a timely manner? But thats more a reflection of the >character of the organizer (who double >booked himself on >events and never told the MT camp host he wasn't coming until >cornered and asked) than the quality of the event. (Anyone who >thinks I'm being harsh and is a late comer here, do a search on >the term "Norshadow"...it'll be clear.)

>Bob Hubbard 10-14-2003

That bias is showing through again, Bobby. You have shifted gears and now there were "...3 of the 4 Top names in the Arnis world..." at the Symsposium. What happened to the "names" and big fish you were alluding to earlier in your post?

That 'failure notion' is yours. It was not shared by the people who attended and posted reviews on mtc and elsewhere. Again, I have to remind you that the Symposium was not about rank and titles. It was about skill, knowledge and training concepts.
It was about sharing and talking. The Symposium was about
finding out about Professor taught at different periods of his instructional career.

Too many people have made it all about who would be there and who wouldn’t. I told you and everyone who would listen that the event was going to happen regardless of who showed and who stayed away. I did exactly what I said that I would do. People came. They participated. They talked to one another and that
sharing led to some new insights within the art of Modern Arnis, as taught by Professor then adapted by the various players. No one at the Symposium said to anyone else, ‘Hey, that’s wrong, that’s not what Professor taught me!’ No one said, ' that's not Modern Arnis!' No sir, Bobby, those comments were only written after the event and mostly by people who never attended!

Since I have never made any attempt to rank people in terms of being the top three, four or five people in Modern Arnis, I am going to let you and your instructor deal with that mess.

I will say this, I have never heard or seen anything by Dan Anderson, Dieter Knuttel or Kelly Worden (whom I am assuming you are counting as your fourth) claiming to be the top or among the top people in the art. They simply go out and demonstrate their considerable skills for anyone interested in working with them. That is you talking Bobby, and that is the kind of stuff that makes people mad.

As for missing the Effington, IL. event, that was a very wise decision on my part in retrospect. You bet I double-booked and it was quite deliberate. After the Symposium and suspension from this forum, the "barber-bashing" was quite intense. Now why would I want to attend an event where there was very likely going to be some open and hostile sentiments displayed against me? Why would I subject a gentleman whom I did not know to the prospect of having his event, tainted by some rude and nasty feelings, that he had no role in creating? So I accepted an invitation to do the program in Toronto, which turned out to be both successful and pleasant. I did notify the Effingham host, well before the event date and gave a brief reason for changing my plans.

It would have been fun to go to Effingham under different circumstances. BTW, the comments that were posted about me before the event were not very nice. That certinly bolstered my feeling that I was maaking the right decision for myself. Then, right after Effenham, in fact the Monday following the weekend of the Effingham mtc camp, there was that nasty, vile, personalized attack posted by a WMAA member, that led to his week long suspension. Boy oh boy does that make my decision not to go to Effingham look better and better as the days go by.

But on to current things, that stuff is all in the past. Now, it is time for me to continue moving forward and working on other projects that are in progress. The Symposium is behind me. Ooh, BTW, I never said that the Symposium would be the Modern Arnis event of the century… I said it would be the event of the year – 2003 – and it was! Look at how much space your forum has devoted to it, particularly after it was over. Look at the DVD. The Symposium has been recorded for history. In the end it does not matter who was there or not there, in the end what matters is that the event occurred as promised, even with the flaws and blemishes.

I did it! No one else can host the first one! And given all of the negative trash that has been generated through the posts on various threads, I doubt that anyone will try to bring all of you Modern Arnis people together again for a long, long time, if ever!

In my review of the DVD set, I said which needed to be said. Once again all of the trash talking that has been posted on mtc just reinforces my contention that Modern Arnis as we currently know it is destined to be a fractured system of small organizations fighting one another. Only people like yourself, Bobby, can really change that, if you have the strength and courage.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm...Thats a lot to process there Jerm. I'll try and be brief though.

Concerning the Gunting:
I was under the impression that you were the distributor for it based on your enthusiiasm for it, and that several individuals had indicated that you were the contact person, not Bram. I will acept that I may have been misinformed. Who in the WNY area should one contact if one is interested in the Gunting and its related trainer?

Concerning Business Relationships:
Both Bram Frank and Tom Bolden do seminars here for you for free? There is no financial benefit when you have either hosted or otherwise brought them in?

Concerning Dan Anderson:
Dan already politely corrected me, so that was a moot point.

Concerning forum control/etc:
As I have stated privately, this forum is -NOT- run by the WMAA, nor does the WMAA have editorial control.

Concerning MY attendance at your events:
I'll be perfectly honest here. Some of them I was interested in, some not. Cash being as tight as it has been, I am forced to pick and choose which events I attend. So, if I have to choose between events that are within my own organizations, and those outside, my cash goes initially to those within the group within the areas of interest to me. In the last year and a half, I've been to events featuring Dr. Gyi, Datu Jornales, Huk Planas, Frank Trejo, and more. I've had to miss events featuring many equally tallented individuals. Sorry Jerm, but I'm not made outta money so can't support everyone. As to the Symp., well, the bill changed, and I had a chance to make some cash as well as have fun...so I did, and I did.

Hmm...actually Jerm.... I did attend..or rather pop in n say hello to a few folks. at at least 2 of your events. 1 was at ECC North, the other was something with Dan Anderson at ECC South. No, I didn't pay, but I did stop by to show support. I think (though I may be wrong) I even posted a message concerning the ECC-N event. (I believe I met Guro Muhammad and his wife there.)

Concerning the Symp. instructors:
Simply put Jerm, if ya do any amount of educated searching on the internet, you will find very little reference to most of em. The only ones of real importance were Deiter, Dan, Tim and Kelly. The rest of the folks, while competent, aren't 'names' in the business...or at least on the net...in fact I believe you and I were tied...

Concerning Why the interest in Kelly?
To settle a few past misunderstandings face to face. Now, if you brought him in for a seminar, would I attend? I'd at the very least stop in for a bit to chat...purhaps shoot some pics and do a write up for the magazine. Would I pay for the event? It all depends. Cost, available funds, and other issues. Would I participate as a paying member if time and money were available? Probably.

Concerning the MOTTs. IMAF-Schea:
I disagree with a few bits, but overall, I've had no problems with them. Their members who are on MT bring a welcome difference in perspective.

Concerning Jeff Delany, and his IMAF:
My opinion on JD is less favorable. This stems from his actions since GM Presas' death. He and his organization are still welcome here.

Concerning Bias, "Old Boy Clubs", etc:
-Everyone- is biased in some way.

Concerning
And if you are saying that only the Presas Kids can be the Philippines rep at a Modern Arnis event, you have most certainly insulted and ignored a large number of other people. Again your arrogance and biases are showing.
I did not say that. Do not put words into my mouth Jerm.

Concerning no gamemanship:
Right Lamont. There was none at all. You were setup by the evil Tim and his insane plot to rule the world. (/sarcasm) :rolleyes:

Jerome, You can misquote me, take things out of context, add in the leading questions, etc. The fact simply remains that you got caught playing games which tarnished an event that had great potential. Now, no matter how much you try, it will forever carry the black mark of "NorShadow".

I will agree with you in the end however.
Once again all of the trash talking that has been posted on mtc just reinforces my contention that Modern Arnis as we currently know it is destined to be a fractured system of small organizations fighting one another. Only people like yourself, Bobby, can really change that, if you have the strength and courage.

It is fractured. But out of the fractures will come unity and cooperation in time...as the wounds heal. As to me, I simply train, and will continue to bang sticks, roll, spar or learn with and from anyone who is willing to share with me. Purhaps Jerm, you and I should get on the mats together sometime. We both might learn a few things.

(And no, thats not a threat....just an invitation to share, somewhere down the road when all this BS is behind us all.)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here we go again, half truths based on faulty information and speculation. I am so glad that you couched your remarks with the expression "…to the best of my knowledge…" because you are in error. Both Bram and Tom are long time friends and I was introduced to both of them through Professor Presas. We ARE NOT business associates!!!

You seem to be the only one spreading half truths here. If you support Dan, Tom, and Bram with seminars then your business associates. Bram especially. Here are some threads from the past in case you forgot:

In this one you also claim "I do give seminars on the gunting and other hand held tools for self defense..."
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7192&highlight=Gunting

As to you claiming that yout not a "distributor" for the gunting, this is also completely false. In this thread you clearly state, "If you wish to purchase a Spyderco Gunting Training Drone - the red handled version. send a check/ money order for $125 to the above address and make it payable to Dr. Jerome Barber." If the chacks are payable to you, then it is clear that your distributing the product, regardless of whether or not you recieved a cut of the profits. See this thread - http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3185&highlight=Gunting

As for Tom Boldern, it is clear that you've hosted him in the past, and that you support his events:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1766&highlight=Bolden

As for Dan Anderson, it may be a recent relationship, but you were able to set him up for a few seminars when he was in town. The business connection might not be as big here as it is with Bram Frank and Tom Bolden, but it is still there.

Point is, Bob's statement isn't false, but yours is. If your connected with someone and there is $$ involved, then it is business, regardless of how long you've known them or whether or not your friends with them. Lets call it like it is, shall we?

More to come....

Paul

OP
S

SRook

Paul
As far as Dr. Barber being a Gunting distributor. He says he's not and I believe him.

"If you wish to purchase a Spyderco Gunting Training Drone - the red handled version. send a check/ money order for $125 to the above address and make it payable to Dr. Jerome Barber."

This quote is from a post he authored about a specific Gunting Seminar that he hosted in September 2002. He is offering the training drone, because it was essential for use in the Seminar. I attended the seminar and Bram was the only one selling Guntings. At no time did Dr. Barber offer to sell anyone a Gunting.
Scott Rook

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guro Kashino and Guro Martin, are long past being my students… they are "former students" and are referred to as "my training partners" since they opened their own training programs years ago. They have long ago ceased to be under my influence nor do they have to worry about what I think. Both Kashino and Martin, were presenters in their own right, representing themselves, not me or the IEAA at the Symposium.

Your playing semantics here. The point in fact is that you consider Kashino, Martin, and Curren (I might as well throw him in the mix) your associates. Kashino and Curren were your first out of the very few black belts you produced. Being that this is the case, Bob is correct and you seem to be misleading here. Your influence on these individuals is clear both in person and over the internet. You still consider them "your boys, and your students." You introduced them as such.

Now, I will say that since the symposium, Paul Martin has been seperating from your influence. He may or may not consider you much of an associate, but given that he is the contact for Bobby Taboada in your area, you surely consider him YOUR associate so you can maintain that connection.

Face it, you consider these individuals ON YOUR TEAM, except when there is a possible conflict and your called out on it. Ridicules! Just start calling things as they are and maybe people will begin to trust what you say.

With regard to Sifu Vargas, this was my first opportunity to work with him as a presenter at a program that I coordinated. I have witnessed his continued development as a student of PG Tom Bolden over a 6 – 7 year period and I believed that he ready to assume a prominent position as a lead teacher in the FMAs without regard to any particular system.

What's your point? The only point I can see is that Vargas is a student of Tom Bolden, a business associate of yours, and a person who you basically deem being of "grandmaster" status. There is still a major connection between you and Vargas in that regards. To deny this would be to lie.

I first met Sensei/Guro Muhammad in 2001 at the GOE2. I invited him to teach at the Eskrima-Kenpo Camp in 2002 in Buffalo.

Bingo...making you 2 business associates at one time at least. I will agree with you that the association between Dawud and yourself appears much looser then your association with the others mentioned. But that doesn't mean that you don't WANT him to be more of an associate, and your willing to do what it takes to make him as such.

It appears to me that your trying to build contacts to belong to "your camp," Dawud happends to be one of those contacts.

The "old boy" concept can be said for you, your friends and associates who have engaged in all of the "barber-bashing" even though most have never met me, trained with me, or attended the Symposium.

Wrong again. You could use the "old boy" concept in regards to me, maybe, because I have been a clear advocate for Tim and his Org. You can't say that for Bob. He has been very unbiased on this forum, despite the fact that he is a WMAA member. If he wasn't unbiased, then I wouldn't have been suspended for a week for my actions in a previous thread. Bob has clearly given everyone a chance to speak there mind here, just as long as people stay within the rules. This is evident in the fact that your able to post your opinions up here in this thread.

The "Good Ol' Boy" comment still stands when Bob used it, however. You are clearly biased towards your associates, as evident in your previous posts and actions. To deny this would be to lie.

In addition, you should ask your WMAA associates who attended to Symposium, if evaluations forms were handed out to each and every person on the floor after each presentation on Friday and Saturday. You were not there, so you would not know without asking. My review was based on the scores that the participants gave.

Sure, evaluation form were handed out; however, this still doesn't make for an unbiased review for a number of reasons.
For one, people went in to see the big names. I'll use my first session as an example because I was put next to Datu Dieter. Almost everyone did Dieters session because he is #1 a big named Datu, and #2 from Germany. So he would have recieved a ton of reviews, while I only would have recieved a few from those who attended my session. This leaves for an unbalanced review.

For two, many of the evaluators were clear supporters of one or two people over everyone else. Tom Boldens students would give him a better review over someone esle for instance. Bram's students would do the same for Bram. Heck, I might give a better review for Tim. I am not faulting anones students, but the point is, this is hardly "unbiased." Plus, if there are more people who support Tom Bolden over anyone else, guess who will get the best review? Tom Bolden of course. It would be the same if there were more of Tim Hartmans students present, or Dan Andersons students. Point is, again, this is unbiased. Now, when we look at the attendents, most of the attendents support people that YOU are associated with. Most did not support Tim Hartman or myself, for instance. So, the reviews, I'll bet, are going to be biased more so against Tim Hartman or myself. I don't care about myself because I am not a big name, but Tim Hartman is. It is unfair to have the reviews biased against him, particularly.

So, the reviews are biased, anyway you look at it, Jerome. To present them as anything but that is false.

In fact some of your readers have, in the past, prior to the Symposium, been very critical of people like Datu Kelly Worden, Dr. Randi Shea, The MoTTs, Jeff Delaney and Lisa McManus. Now you want to turn the world upside down and contend that your non-attendance was predicated on the fact that these people did not attend and present!?

The problem is that the critiques often come out when there is something to critique, but they have little to say when there is something good to present. Regardless of that, Bob himself has not been critical of any of these leaders. Bob has always expressed that he'd like to see all of these people, even if he has disagreements with them. So, his contention is correct. It is correct for a lot of people in fact. A lot of people did not show because certian people didn't attend to present.

BTW, if I were able to arrange for Datu Kelly to come to Buffalo for a seminar or weekend camp, could I count on you to attend? More importantly, would you be willing to pay up-front?

I think that your forgetting with much of your statements is the fact that people don't have endless amounts of $$ and time to be attending event after event. If you hosted Kelly Worden, I would attempt to attend. But if $$ and time isn't available, then no, I can't attend. This is the circumstance for everyone else.

Plus, due to your actions on the internet, and at the symposium MANY people are going to be weary of attending ANYTHING you host, regardless of the instructor.

Bobby, you are assuming that these people did not attend because of me! However, you are absolutely incorrect!

Not necissarily, Jerome. Some of the IMAF people as well as many others were very clear on the internet that they did not want to attend a "put up or shut up" event, which was exactly how you positioned the symposium. This is your fault. So in reality there were many people who did not attend "because of you," even though many others had there own seperate reasons unreleated to you. Now, after many of the occurances that happened during and after the symposium, and are still occuring today, you can expect that many more people are not going to attend future events "because of you."

As to the "several other factors" involved; how many of them are going to truely tell you to your face that they aren't attending an event because of you?

That "replacement B team" as you have referred to them, has more skill, knowledge and background in Modern Arnis than
most of the people currently training within the art.

In addition, if you refer back to Datu Kelly's interview mentioned above, you should take note of the fact that PG Tom Bolden, PG Billy Brayant, PG Douglas Pierre and Datu Kelly were the FIRST Modern Arnis instructors to be recognized outside of the IMAF and Professor

Your first quote is not only debatable for many of the "modern arnis" players who taught at the event, but it is clearly not true for half the instructors who were teaching who DID NOT TEACH MODERN ARNIS.

And in terms of the 1 week camps, whether some attended these or not says very little about their credability in Modern Arnis. A person could have attended a 1 week camp and never attended another Modern Arnis event in his life. Does that make them more credable then someone who continuosly trained in seminar after seminar with professor, but never attended a 1 week camp? Absurd....attending or not attending a 1 week camp in the 80's doesn't make or break an instructors credability. Besides, most of the instructors at the symp. were not instructors who attended the 1 week camps in the 80's.

Furthermore, out of the instructors you mentioned who were recognized as the first to be given credit outside of the IMAF, only Tom Bolden was present.

The "B team" was much less experienced and credable in Modern Arnis then the "A team." Because of this, you shouldn't fault people for not attending, or pretend that the people who actually ended up teaching at the event exceeded those who canceled in skill level. Many of those who cancelled you have yet to see anyhow, so who are you to judge?

Well, well, well, here we go again, now it is about the "major" and minor organizations. The perception of the WMAA as a "major" organization is yours. It can certainly be shared by others, however that does not make it a fact and there are people who would disagree with you. Since I have never engaged in defining "major" and "minor" designations this point is moot for me.

First off, athough you would like to pretend that it's debatable that the WMAA is a major organization, there is no debate. Just look at the WMAA website. The WMAA, currently, has far more schools, camps, members, and events then any of the other organization. I am not trying to get into a contest on "who's better" here, but given this fact, this at least puts the WMAA in the category of "Major".

So if there are 'people' who would disagree about the WMAA being a major org., what planet are they from?

But, if defining major and minor is a moot point for you, then why'd you mention it?

How quickly you have sided with the IMAF and IMAF Inc., plus Datu Kelly Worden when it suits your purposes. "Big Fish"? I think not! I never wanted to be known as such in the Modern Arnis World.

Well...um...O.K.. It's clear that you want to be known and acknowledged for something, otherwise you wouldn't be on this site at all. You've been fighting for recognition for years, even when RP was alive. Now it appears that you are trying to be some kind of an illuminati of the Modern Arnis world; an emporer who pulls strings and crowns kings behind closed doors. So to say you don't have a motive to be known for SOMETHING is contrary to your actions. I think you'll be known for SOMETHING for sure, but I think you should be concerned at this point as to what that might be.

That 'failure notion' is yours. It was not shared by the people who attended and posted reviews on mtc and elsewhere.

Success is achieving a goal. If the Goal was to host the first symposium, and have instructors and students share on the floor in a positive way, then you succeeded.

But, this was not your expressed goal. Your expressed that this was the event of the century, and the biggest event in Modern Arnis history. You put very high expectations for the event, and those expectations failed. Both IMAF's, WMAA, WMAC, and DAV have hosted bigger and 'better' events in terms of instruction quality in this year alone.

This "failure" isn't percieved by just Bob. It is percieved by all, although some are far to nice to get on board and say so. I think you'll be hard pressed to find more then a small handful, if anyone outside yourself, to say that this was the "biggest and best" event of the year.

As for missing the Effington, IL. event, that was a very wise decision on my part in retrospect
I did notify the Effingham host, well before the event date and gave a brief reason for changing my plans.

I can understand you not wanting to attend the IL. event. But the statement that you notified the host in advance is false. People found out that you had billed yourself for 2 events, and you were contacted. This is hardly the same as you notifying the host in advance, and it is hardly courteous.

Ooh, BTW, I never said that the Symposium would be the Modern Arnis event of the century… I said it would be the event of the year – 2003 – and it was!

You may not have said event of the century specifically, but you certianly billed it as the event of the year. You also said that this event "made history" which leads people to believe in huge expectations.

The point is, it WASN"T the event of the year that you billed it as The WMAA, IMAF Inc., WMAC, and the DAV have all put on bigger events this year. If this was your goal, then you failed.

I did it! No one else can host the first one! And given all of the negative trash that has been generated through the posts on various threads, I doubt that anyone will try to bring all of you Modern Arnis people together again for a long, long time, if ever!

Yea...uh-hu. Keep telling yourself that. If you honestly believe what you just said, then I think you might be dilusional. You hosted the first Filipino Martial Arts gathering disguised as a Modern Arnis Symposium. Congratulations. My suggestion is, that who ever hosts the next one, make sure all the instructors on the bill are teaching Modern Arnis, THEN say YOUR hosting the 1st Modern Arnis Symposium....because you would be correct in saying that.

Plus, your sorely mistaken if you think that other orgs. and people out there aren't bringing "all of us Modern Arnis people" together as we speak. Heck, I just made history at my camp by bringing 2 of Professors Datu's, Hartman and Journales, together for the 1st time in Michigan. Other Orgs. are doing the same. I don't just see a day where Orgs. and independents accrossed the board will be doing more joint ventures, it is happening today. Your outcry, "I doubt that anyone will try to bring all of you Modern Arnis people together again for a long, long time, if ever! " only shows me the childish fustrations of a man who failed to meet his goals.

Once again all of the trash talking that has been posted on mtc just reinforces my contention that Modern Arnis as we currently know it is destined to be a fractured system of small organizations fighting one another.

No Jerome...you and your peeps are a small fracture in the Modern Arnis world, and you personally are the one currently causing all the problems. The Modern Arnis world is getting better every day. new alliances accrossed organizations and schools of thought are being made more now then ever before. And none of it is due to your symposium. You wanna know whats bad for the Modern Arnis world? Meglomaniacs who try to play puppet master behind the scenes, only causing rifts among factions. If you could stop doing that, then I think we could all be better off.

Hmmm?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by SRook
Paul
As far as Dr. Barber being a Gunting distributor. He says he's not and I believe him.

"If you wish to purchase a Spyderco Gunting Training Drone - the red handled version. send a check/ money order for $125 to the above address and make it payable to Dr. Jerome Barber."

This quote is from a post he authored about a specific Gunting Seminar that he hosted in September 2002. He is offering the training drone, because it was essential for use in the Seminar. I attended the seminar and Bram was the only one selling Guntings. At no time did Dr. Barber offer to sell anyone a Gunting.
Scott Rook

Scott,

Let me clear the air on one thing here. I don't fault Bram Frank here for anything. I think it's great what he is doing and what he is teaching. I enjoyed his session at the symposium. I liked the gunting as well; I thought that it was a good tool, particularly for LEO who have the option to use non-lethal techniques. Also, I don't fault him for his business relationship with Dr. Barber at all, either. It gave him the oportunity to teach his Modern Arnis and his gunting up in Buffalo, and I think that this is a wonderful thing.

Heck, I almost went to that seminar myself, but I had another engagement. I am sure I missed a good one.

However, my point was what Bob said was true, what Jerome said was not. Jerome at various different times acted as distributor for the gunting. If he says at one time or another for people to make a check out to him if they wish to purchase the tool, then guess what? He is distributing that tool. This doesn't mean he profitted from it; for niether you nor I know those details. But the issue wasn't "did he profit" it was "did he distribute." The FACT is he did, and the proof is in the black and white.

Plus I also remember on a website for the training session in Buffalo hosted by Jerome, there were links to purchase the gunting and trainers. Once again, he is acting as a distributor. I don't care, but he is trying to say that he never was, which is a lie.

Why lie? I don't know. But...the facts are in spelled out in his posts.

Paul Janulis

OP
E

Emptyglass

Originally posted by PAUL
Your playing semantics here. The point in fact is that you consider Kashino, Martin, and Curren (I might as well throw him in the mix) your associates. Kashino and Curren were your first out of the very few black belts you produced. Being that this is the case, Bob is correct and you seem to be misleading here. Your influence on these individuals is clear both in person and over the internet. You still consider them "your boys, and your students." You introduced them as such.

Janulis:

Let me make this clear to you: I am nobody's "boy". Dr. Barber is my friend, mentor and instructor. He and I have not had a lesson together in person in 8 years. Dr. Barber and I agree on a lot of (actually most ) things. We rarely disagree as we both share a common body of knowledge based on our experiences from training together in Modern Arnis from about 1989-1995.

Dr. Barber has never asked me to modify anything I have said online or off. His influence on my actions, words and thoughts in a controlling fashion is nil. There has NEVER been a circumstance where he has said: "Why don't you post this or post this and say you said it.

That being said, I am proud to be termed "one of Barber's guys" as I respect the man and what he has taught and continues to teach me. That being said, anyone who knows me (you and I have met once so don't assume that you do, please) knows I am more than just one of "Barber's guys".

Rich Curren

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I need to correct 1 point Paul made.

Regardless of that, Bob himself has not been critical of any of these leaders. Bob has always expressed that he'd like to see all of these people, even if he has disagreements with them.

I have in fact been critical of both Delaney and Worden. Regarding Mr. Worden, there were a few misunderstandings between us, and I was looking forward to speaking to him face to face to put that unpleasantness behind us. I still hope at some time in the future to do so.

My opinions of Delaney have not however changed at this time.

All that said, despite the few personal differences that transpired in the past, I do respect Kelly Worden as a competent martial artist, and would (time/money permitting) attend a seminar involving him.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
FOOD FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:redeme:

Wow! The beat goes on. Time for a little levity here, folks. Jerome and Tim have both set me up with seminars so there has been a business relationship with both fellows. They have been very kind to me in that respect.

As to neither Kelly, myself or Dieter claiming any of us are the top dogs in Modern Arnis, I DO have to state that I think I am the most wonderful fellow you could ever meet. I just am. Really. :D

What is very apparant is the WMAA's and Jerome Barber's continuing upset with each other and aside from all the opinions and whatnot that gets posted, that remains clear as a bell. :(

The Sympo is over. It is recorded. Those that were there, were there, and those who were not, were not. Things happened - people enjoyed it and some got upset. It's November 5th (just 13 shopping days left til the most holy of holy days, my birthday - don't delay. Shop now!).
:D

The Sympo is several months past. This is quite some time to keep holding on to an upset.

Philosophically yours,
Dan Anderson
Again, the most wonderful person you will ever meet in Modern Arnis in this new millenium

OP
E

Emptyglass

Fine, Curren.

All of what you said just further supports my points.

Thank you.

Paul Janulis

And thank you for giving me the best laugh of the day. I just fell out of my chair!

Rich Curren

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paul,

Again, my name has been brought up by you and used for some purpose - wrongly.

I have never 'separated' myself from Jerome, and I have no intention of doing so. Do you spend time with Tim because you are so different you can't stand each other? NO! You have built a relationship with Tim H based on mutually understanding. As my training has progressed, my relationship with Jerome has changed, as it should. But I see/talk to him regularly and he knows my respect and support for him. He has always encouraged me and others (you named them often enough, I assume you know who I mean) to always be independent, thinking and free to seek our own paths.

If my 'separation' perception on your part demonstrates how I can have my own voice, yet still be supported and welcome by Jerome, then I think your point is mute. I don't act as anyones mouth...except my own. I can only risk putting my feet in it, not anyone elses.

I say again what I have told Tim H, Jerome and said publicly on this and other forums: I am my own person with my own opinions. I don't cow tow to any person. Jerome knows where I stand on this and other issues. That is between him and me.

I have posted my opinions and information with the PURPOSE OF POSTING MY OPINION AND INFORMATION, not to represent anyone other than myself or to further some shadow conspiracy.

Now, if there is a problem between Jerome and Tim H, or anyone else, what place is it of yours to step into the fight? If you feel some obligation to make statements on someone elses behalf, does that really demonstrate respect for Tim's or anyone elses strength to stand on his own. Tim H is the head of his own organization and is adult enough to make his own points, I have read them so I know he is paying attention.

If you go back and read my posts, and only my posts, instead of reading INTO my posts when you lump them together with my fellow black belts/Jerome's posts you may recognize a topic driven theme. Read into it what you want, that I can't control.

Paul Martin

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
I need to correct 1 point Paul made.

I read my statement later and I realized that I made a mistake. So I stand corrected. :asian:

However, it is worth being said that your opinions are your own; your not some sort of WMAA puppet, as Jerome seems to imply. Also, your opinions haven't effected your ability to manage this website; people can say what they want, just as long as it is within the rules. If someone breaks the rules, it doesn't matter whether they represent WMAA or not, they are repremanded. Also, you disagreements don't effect your ability to train with others, either.

Those are the main points regarding the issue that are worth mentioning.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by loki09789
I say again what I have told Tim H, Jerome and said publicly on this and other forums: I am my own person with my own opinions. I don't cow tow to any person. Jerome knows where I stand on this and other issues. That is between him and me.

Way too many Pauls here.

Paul M. and I have had some very good discusions on the phone. I have NO problems with him at the moment. The problem between Jerome and myself doesn't involve him.
:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Curren and Martin: Yea, fine, I get it. You both support Jerome. Once again, proving my points. Moving forward....

Dan Anderson: Cool, man. No one has problem with Tim, Jerome, or anyone else setting you up with seminars. This is fine; you put on a good karate seminar and I think that's great. However, when someone sets you up with a seminar whether it be Tim, Jerome, jaye Spiro here in MI., or whomever, this creates a business relationship, regardless of who's benefiting. With a business relationship there are issues such as reciprocity, and a certain pleseantry that must be kept between parties. This COULD cause you to stay out of the issue, or to at least approach the issue in a manner to keep both ends open for business. I am not saying it does, or making a judgement call here; I am just stating the facts.

Now remember, there is nothing wrong with any of this. Tim and I have both a friendship and a business relationship given that I have hosted seminars for him and the org. The problem I had wasn't with the relationship, it was with Jerome claiming that there was NO business relationship between you, Bram, Bolden, or other parties, when this is a lie.

Also...Paul Martin and Tim Hartman: I understand that you 2 had a good conversation, and that Paul M., you'd like to stay out of the 'fued'. That's cool; no problems with that. But please understand, both of you, that I am not dragging the Paul Martin name through the mud. Your name (Paul Martin) was brought up first by Jerome and Bob in the beginning of this thread.

Martin: You want to say your not distancing yourself from Jerome now...fine. Say what you want. The fact is, you ran over to talk to Tim when a lot of stuff came out to let him know where you stand. You were adament about not being lumped into Jeromes opinions after my post regarding the Balinawak/Modern Arnis thread. I viewed your attempt to stay neutral as distancing yourself from Jeromes side of the issue a bit. Now your back to saying you support him, but with your own opinions of course.

It seems to me that you can't make up your mind, though that may not be the case. So, here, let me help: You and Jerome have a relationship and are friends, but you want to stay out of the Tim and Jerome issue, and you want to be viewed as an individual, not one of "Jeromes guys".

Is that accurate? I apparently have been mistaken as to where you stand in the past, so was my above clarification correct this time? If I am wrong again, please correct me.

Now, if there is a problem between Jerome and Tim H, or anyone else, what place is it of yours to step into the fight? If you feel some obligation to make statements on someone elses behalf, does that really demonstrate respect for Tim's or anyone elses strength to stand on his own.

Time to clarify. Jerome and Tim's problem is not my problem. The fact that he has tryed to take down, in the political sense, my previous instructor, Remy Presas, and now he is trying to take down my friend, Tim Hartman (and has been trying too for years now) IS my problem. It's malicious, and it needs to stop. The fact that Jerome has been trying to take out and discredit an organization that I am a part of, the WMAA, IS ALSO my problem. The fact that all this crap that has been going on, which I DO blame Jerome Barber for, has been effecting our art, Modern Arnis, negatively IS MY PROBLEM ALSO!!!

I HAVE SOME MAJOR FRIGGIN PROBLEMS HERE!! AND YES THEY DO INVOLVE ME! JEROME AND I WERE FINE PRIOR TO THE SYMPOSIUM, BUT NOW I HAVE BEEN SET OFF! NOT A GOOD IDEA...I'VE BEEN TOLD BY EXPERTS THAT I AM NOT SANE!!!!!!!

and I will not stop until the issue is resolved. I will not stop until the issue is resoved.

But, and I'll say this to Rich Curren and Paul Martin specifically, I am not specifically angry at you unless you want me to be. :D

I hope we are all at a better level of understanding now.

Thank you,

Paul Janulis

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just wondering...what is it going to take to resolve this issue? Public flogging, exile, cutting of elbow tendons so the practice of MA becomes impossible????? Theres a lot of "this issue must be resolved" talk going on here with no solutions offered.

Come on lay it out.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was going to say 'being whipped naked through the streets'...then I realized that neither Dr. B, nor myself have bodies that the ladies would cheer for, plus, its getting a bit chilly out there...hate to catch a cold while being publically flogged, ya'know? :)

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Dan Anderson: Cool, man. No one has problem with Tim, Jerome, or anyone else setting you up with seminars. This is fine; you put on a good karate seminar and I think that's great. However, when someone sets you up with a seminar whether it be Tim, Jerome, Jaye Spiro here in MI., or whomever, this creates a business relationship, regardless of who's benefiting. With a business relationship there are issues such as reciprocity, and a certain pleasantry that must be kept between parties. This COULD cause you to stay out of the issue, or to at least approach the issue in a manner to keep both ends open for business. I am not saying it does, or making a judgement call here; I am just stating the facts.

Thank you,

Paul Janulis

Paul,

As I have told you, Jerome, Tim and anyone else who listens, I base my personal relationships on what happens between myself and the other party. It has nothing to do with business. One of my closest friends in the Modern Arnis world, Bram Frank, hasn't done a whole lot of business for me at all. So what COULD be isn't necessarily so. Business wise, you haven't done much for me either (you really should remedy that, you know;) ) and yet we get along quite fine.

I stayed out of this particular issue because I think BOTH SIDES really made a cat's breakfast out of the whole thing. I thought the emphasis on it was stupid and told both sides.

Oh yeah, my Modern Arnis seminars are good, too.

Just wondering...what is it going to take to resolve this issue? Public flogging, exile, cutting of elbow tendons so the practice of MA becomes impossible????? Theres a lot of "this issue must be resolved" talk going on here with no solutions offered.

Come on lay it out.

Or simply lay it down and let it die.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoctorB
I also attended his WMAA Camps in West Seneca in 2002 and 2003.

I'm glad that you brought this up. You still haven't paid for the 2003 camp yet. As a reminder, it was our invoice #19, dated May 6, 2003 for $80.00. I hope you pay soon or I'll be forced to send it to collections.

Your check or money order should be made payable to:

Horizon Martial Arts
PO Box 5
West Seneca, NY 14224

Datu Tim Hartman
:asian:

Latest Discussions