Kimbo fight being investigated as a 'fix'

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
After getting the deal with EliteXC, Kimbo has been training with Bas Rutten. Bas has said that he has a strong work ethic and is willing to learn, but still has a lot to learn.
A lot to learn.....at an age when many guys are peaking looking toward not-to-distant retirement.

That's Kimbo's biggest problem, he's a novice fighter at an age when he should be at the top of his game.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this 'fix' argument is, from a lot of quarters, coming from Kimbo fans who can ACCEPT Kimbo taking a dive, but not being knocked out by some no-name......perverse, I know, but I think it's true.

The only 'fix' here was Elite XC trying to fix the style and tone of the fight, i.e. keep it on their feet, and hopefully in Kimbo's favor.........there is NO WAY that Elite XC wanted THIS OUTCOME, i.e. Kimbo getting knocked out mere seconds after the bell!

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this 'fix' argument is, from a lot of quarters, coming from Kimbo fans who can ACCEPT Kimbo taking a dive, but not being knocked out by some no-name......perverse, I know, but I think it's true.

The only 'fix' here was Elite XC trying to fix the style and tone of the fight, i.e. keep it on their feet, and hopefully in Kimbo's favor.........there is NO WAY that Elite XC wanted THIS OUTCOME, i.e. Kimbo getting knocked out mere seconds after the bell![/quote]

That's what makes it so funny though isn't it!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, just to clarify something here.

They aren't suggesting the fight was fixed for Kimbo to lose, they are investigating that it was fixed in Kimbo's favour.

I thought they were suggesting that, but it is kind of difficult to understand how a fixed fight would have a completely different outcome from the fix.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever the outcome of the fight I think it's the 'conspiring to influence the outcome of the fight' part they are looking at. I can't imagine the bookmakers are too happy either!

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
the real funny thing was that the promoter- I don't recall his name maybe Lappen???- reportedly rushed the cage screaming about Slice being hit with an illegal blow. A 14 second loss was not in their game plan for the "man who will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime" (unless he is handpicked) Imagine seeing millions of dollars disappearing in the blink of an eye. They just learned a real big lesson about combat sports- anyone can- and does- win.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The whole thing has come from a Seth Petruzelli interview he did after the kimbo fight.
Petruzelli: "The promoters kinda hinted to me and they gave me the money to stand and throw with him, they didn't want me to take him down. Let's just put it that way. It was worth my while to try and stand up punch him."

The promotors definitely tried to stack the fight in Kimbo's favor. A lightheavyweight, outweighed by 40lbs. Asked to fight the other guys fight instead of taking him down and pounding him out.

It does seem odd that they would ask a kickboxer (petruzelli has fought in K1 before) who has won every fight he's ever won in MMA by (T)KO to stay standing. Although petruzelli probably could have taken kimbo down and put him out too.

The sad thing is I have some friends at work that are convinced kimbo was upset that shamrock pulled out and decided he just wanted out instead of fighting petruzelli. It's easier for them to accept that he punked out than he got caught.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
But the "KO Bonus" and similar are not unusual in MMA. TUF offers a cash bonus to any fighter who gets a sub or KO, yet nobody accuses Dana White of fixing those fights.

There is a slight difference here. Dana White gives bonuses on the TUF for fighters who FINISH the fight whether that is sub or KO. He doesn't tell his fighters to not take it to the ground or to not trade punches, or try to influence the WAY the fight will go.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have anything to back this up, but I heard that Kimbo's camp made threats to Seth Petruzelli and his wife. Anyone else hear this? Or are my buddies at work making stuff up?

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Right after he got KO'ed, his "posse" threatened seth and his wife. Seth mentioned it in one of the interviews he had.

Latest Discussions