Kimbo fight being investigated as a 'fix'

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know if it was fixed having watched the fight I think Kimbo got caught.

But to play conspiracy theory:

Shamrock got injured to make way for this fighter.
Alot of hype built for this new fighter.
Said fighter makes a claim on radio that it was fixed.
Looking at the Shawn Gannon fight it would appear Kimbo could endure more of a beating.

But I really think Kimbo got caught and maybe a rematch would settle this or Kimbo fighting a real good fighter would end all this conspiracy.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The result was fixed, so that means they think Slice may have took a dive? Is that why the other guy was encourage to keep it on the feet, because Slice has such awesome ground game and submission skills that throwing the fight while on the ground wouldn't be as believable?

BTW, who may be Slice's next opponent?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is never good for any sport when people start thinking anything is fixed

I think he just caught one that stuned him but I also think he would have got back up if it had been allowed to go on a little longer

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think it was "fixed" like you see in pro-wrestling where the winner is predetermined. But, it would not surprise me that the promotors asked him to keep it standing if he could.

That has happened in the past before as well. With Kimbo's last fight they brought in someone with a questionable chin but looked bigger than Kimbo to again build the hype. Kimbo could NOT put him away right away and almost lost on the ground. There were many fans after that fight that complained that the ref favored Kimbo and did what he could to help with the win.

Kimbo has no career with true MMA fans, but newcomers to MMA don't really know the difference and it will hurt the sport on network tv.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Regardless, I think this furthers my belief/opinion that Kimbo shouldn't be in professional MMA.

I do think it's kind of ironic that the camera panned to Hulk Hogan just before the match.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was "fixed" like you see in pro-wrestling where the winner is predetermined. But, it would not surprise me that the promotors asked him to keep it standing if he could.

That has happened in the past before as well. With Kimbo's last fight they brought in someone with a questionable chin but looked bigger than Kimbo to again build the hype. Kimbo could NOT put him away right away and almost lost on the ground. There were many fans after that fight that complained that the ref favored Kimbo and did what he could to help with the win.

Kimbo has no career with true MMA fans, but newcomers to MMA don't really know the difference and it will hurt the sport on network tv.

I have to agree. We get enough flak as it is and for those of us who are working our socks off trying to make this a decent respectable sport it's a kick in the teeth.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree. We get enough flak as it is and for those of us who are working our socks off trying to make this a decent respectable sport it's a kick in the teeth.
Socks? You wear socks when you're competing? ;)

I, too, have to agree on Kimbo not belonging in the professional arena. My wife and I were watching a UFC event this weekend and were very impressed by the sportsmanship and humility of the vast majority of contestants after the fights. Honor, even if it is as I've been told, an antiquated concept is still very important in my eyes. My fear for MMA as a sport is that guys like Dana White are going to ruin it with showmanship for a quick buck.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Socks? You wear socks when you're competing? ;)

I, too, have to agree on Kimbo not belonging in the professional arena. My wife and I were watching a UFC event this weekend and were very impressed by the sportsmanship and humility of the vast majority of contestants after the fights. Honor, even if it is as I've been told, an antiquated concept is still very important in my eyes. My fear for MMA as a sport is that guys like Dana White are going to ruin it with showmanship for a quick buck.

Me too old to compete lol! I wear socks when running around promoting, cornering and reffing.
Look out for the UFC from Birmingham! (The original Brum in England that is!)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So it was fix, is anybody surprise about it. Kimbo is an urban legend beating on people with no experience. In side the ring he is over matched and out numbered by more qualify people, he never had a chance, the promoters saw money in him and that was the only reason he was taken to matches, no formal training and hopes of competing. Now that is sad.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
So it was fix, is anybody surprise about it. Kimbo is an urban legend beating on people with no experience. In side the ring he is over matched and out numbered by more qualify people, he never had a chance, the promoters saw money in him and that was the only reason he was taken to matches, no formal training and hopes of competing. Now that is sad.

After getting the deal with EliteXC, Kimbo has been training with Bas Rutten. Bas has said that he has a strong work ethic and is willing to learn, but still has a lot to learn.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am on the fence here. On one hand, I was suprised that Kimbo got dropped by that shot, after all, on his youtube video, he dropped his hands and let the guy hit him DEAD in the jaw 2 times. But, I have seen fighters get dropped by glancing blows before. I think them offering seth more money to stand was just their attempt to see a brawl instead of a lay and gay situation.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, just to clarify something here.

They aren't suggesting the fight was fixed for Kimbo to lose, they are investigating that it was fixed in Kimbo's favour.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactluy, you gotta love the beautiful irony of that though....if, in fact, the fix was in...I would've loved ot have been a fly on the wall of the guys who set it up when the fight happened :D

Peace,
Erik

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The idea that the offering of various bonus plans for differnet outcomes constitutes "a fix" is absurd. Fixing a fight is when a fighter is paid to lose. No such thing happened.

Now if this ridiculous story at MMAPAYOUT had said they were investigating the propriety of offering these bonus plans, that would be a story (and an investigation) that made sense.

But the "KO Bonus" and similar are not unusual in MMA. TUF offers a cash bonus to any fighter who gets a sub or KO, yet nobody accuses Dana White of fixing those fights.

The promoters at EXC know that the CBS audience is not a sophisticated consumer of MMA, specifically of what makes MMA different from kickboxing or boxing - GRAPPLING. So they setup the matches to give the audience what they want - medicore striking.

Personally, I watch MMA for the jujutsu. Anymore I prefer ADCC DVDs over UFC PPVs. I hope Randy breaks Lesnar's arm, that guy has no business in the top ranks, did you see that Hering fight? 'Me big! me pound! me win! GRRR!" boring. Need more like GSP, BJ, etc

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am on the fence here. On one hand, I was suprised that Kimbo got dropped by that shot, after all, on his youtube video, he dropped his hands and let the guy hit him DEAD in the jaw 2 times. But, I have seen fighters get dropped by glancing blows before. I think them offering seth more money to stand was just their attempt to see a brawl instead of a lay and gay situation.
Just a heads up. The last time someone referred to grappling as "lay and gay" they were resoundingly thrashed. While folks that don't study ground arts may, indeed, not see the tactical aspects of the art, those of us who are truly martial artists know that grapplers train just as hard as the rest of us and shouldn't be denigrated with a phrase like that. I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Latest Discussions