Killing the Children Americans won't

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Killing the Children Americans won't...
Won't ... what? And what's this... no comment Big Don? Posting a story like this (especially in the Study) needs some type of commentary from you so to follow your train of thought or to find (other) points that need to be addressed/discussed. Trying to help out here Don not dis on it or you.

From what I got seems that this woman was careless and recklessly driving her van and kids got killed as a result. What are the issues that need to be addressed here? That the woman should not been allowed to drive? How is one able to determine that. Everyone takes their driver's test/license sober (or at least not so inebriated that the issuing officer knows about it). Afterwards they can DUI all they want... til they're caught or end up in an accident.
But this woman didn't even have a license to begin with.

(from "the story")
The van was driven by Alianiss N. Morales, 23, of Minnesota. The Fox 9 Investigator found Morales pleaded guilty in Chippewa County in 2006 to driving without a valid license.
State Patrol officials said Thursday they were not immediately able to confirm if Morales was unlicensed, nor could they confirm whether Morales ran a stop sign. Lt. Mark Peterson said that was still under investigation, but that the investigation was "moving forward very quickly."
So should she even been allowed to drive anyway? Who would've known to stop her? Are they responsible? Likely, not.
Could've this been prevented? Likely, not.

Thoughts?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, she shouldn't have been allowed to drive without a license. She should not have been in the US to begin with. BOTH her illegal residency and her illegal driving led to the deaths of four kids and injuries to 14 more people. Had the federal government EVER been serious about preventing illegal immigration, perhaps those 18 people would still be healthy.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My title: "Killing the Children Americans Won't" was, I thought, an obvious reference to the oft stated (and complete BS) that illegals are only "doing the jobs Americans won't"

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don - interesting article, thank you for sharing, but I would echo Caver, some commentary helps, also...personal preference, but if you place a short quote from the article, you generally get a lot more responses, since people can gauge whether they are interested in reading the entire article. Again, just trying to help, but very interesting read.

While I think this is a tragedy and is horrible and I oppose illegal immigration, I see no influence node where someone could have corrected the problem. It is easy to get a truck or Van to drive around and there are many idiots driving around.

I don't think that the government being serious about illegal immigration or not is the issue, stopping the aliens from coming in is a difficult problem with no clear solution. And stopping illegal drivers is next to impossible - unless they are driving recklessly and pulled over, there is no way to identify them. I drive to work and think to myself....how many of these people have licenses? Could be all of them, could be 50%....no way to know.

I think that the real issue here is whether she is different from many of the LEGAL citizens and LEGAL drivers. She is being targeted because she is an illegal alien without a license - rightly so, mind you, because she did a horrible thing and this is a tragedy. But an American doing the same things would have been in the same situation and would be equally likely to be this careless and reckless, i.e. that fact that she is an alien does not equate to being a reckless driver and the fact that she does not have a valid license makes her no different from many Americans.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People get killed in automobile accidents every day.

In the US more then 40,000 people die in traffic accidents every year.

The only reason this made headlines is because it was a illegal alien, which means it can be used to push an agenda.

She should be held accountable for her crimes, but don't ignore the big picture, but every single day more then 1000 people die in traffic accidents in the US. The vast majority of which don't get any attention at all outside "maybe" local news.

Using a isolated incident to push an agenda against illegal immigrants is about as useful as using a isolated storm to push one against global warming. Makes the case look weak, you need to look at the big picture, not pick and choose pieces of it. Leads to a alarmist mentality in either case.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I lived in Flroida, this was a BIG problem - illegals driving without insurance. Florida's solution? Make everyone get uninsured motorist insurance (everyone who already has insurance and obeys the laws, that is).

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I lived in Flroida, this was a BIG problem - illegals driving without insurance. Florida's solution? Make everyone get uninsured motorist insurance (everyone who already has insurance and obeys the laws, that is).

In New Mexico we joke "Everyone has insurance... half the people are covered by the Uninsured Motorist Coverage of the other half"

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Won't ... what? And what's this... no comment Big Don? Posting a story like this (especially in the Study) needs some type of commentary from you so to follow your train of thought or to find (other) points that need to be addressed/discussed. Trying to help out here Don not dis on it or you.

I agree. Again, not to dis you - but you often post just a link and a title, and I have no idea what the purpose of your posting is. A small quote or summary would be quite helpful. I also did not get the reference to the other thread, and, reading the article before the rest of the thread, was looking through the article for some link between these children's senseless deaths and your title.

No, she shouldn't have been allowed to drive without a license. She should not have been in the US to begin with. BOTH her illegal residency and her illegal driving led to the deaths of four kids and injuries to 14 more people. Had the federal government EVER been serious about preventing illegal immigration, perhaps those 18 people would still be healthy.

While on the face of it, I agree, had she not been illegally in the country, she would quite likely not have been driving this bus, I see the problem as not her illegal immigrant status, but her unlicensed status. As others have said throughout this thread, lack of licensure, rather than citizenship, is the primary problem here, regardless of the focus on her lack of citizenship.