A Lower Cost For College Education

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across this story in todays paper. Apparently the state is talking about offering state rates for colleges in CT. to people that are here illegally, rather than paying out of state rates.

The heated debate over whether to allow undocumented immigrants to attend public colleges and universities at the same tuition rate other Connecticut residents pay could soon reignite at the state legislature.

Under a bill introduced by state Rep. Felipe Reinoso, D- Bridgeport, Connecticut students living in the country illegally would pay in-state tuition rates at all state public colleges and universities, rather than the pricier out-of-state rates they must pay now.

Now, personally, I have no problem with someone coming to this state or this country. But, I do feel that they should go thru the proper process and become a legal, US Citizen. Why should someone, who isn't legal, be able to take full advantage of services and in this case, a reduced rate for a college education, if you're not even a citizen? Doesn't sound right to me.

I think this is a good point as well:

Candelora, who opposes the bills, said he worried that changing the tuition rates would take away slots from legal residents and set a troublesome precedent.

So, now you could have someone looking at attend a particular college, and may not be able to, because someone who isn't a citizen took the spot?

Thoughts?

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I came across this story in todays paper. Apparently the state is talking about offering state rates for colleges in CT. to people that are here illegally, rather than paying out of state rates.

Now, personally, I have no problem with someone coming to this state or this country. But, I do feel that they should go thru the proper process and become a legal, US Citizen. Why should someone, who isn't legal, be able to take full advantage of services and in this case, a reduced rate for a college education, if you're not even a citizen? Doesn't sound right to me.

I think this is a good point as well:

So, now you could have someone looking at attend a particular college, and may not be able to, because someone who isn't a citizen took the spot?

Thoughts?
I've heard of similar programs under consideration here in MA, it sickens me. The notion that the taxes of legal residents are subsidizing the education of criminals (illegal aliens) is abhorent to me. I have, and will continue to, express my position on this issue to my representatives in the house and senate.

Latest Discussions