1,000 Miles on a single tank of gas?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Air-Powered Car Coming to U.S. in 2009 to 2010 at Sub-$18,000, Could Hit 1000-Mile Range

We’ll believe that when we drive it, but MDI’s new dual-energy engine—currently being installed in models at MDI facilities overseas—is still pretty damn cool in concept. After using compressed air fed from the same Airbus-built tanks in earlier models to run its pistons, the next-gen Air Car has a supplemental energy source to kick in north of 35 mph, ZPM says. A custom heating chamber heats the air in a process officials refused to elaborate upon, though they insisted it would increase volume and thus the car’s range and speed.

“I want to stress that these are estimates, and that we’ll know soon more precisely from our engineers,” ZPM spokesman Kevin Haydon told PM, “but a vehicle with one tank of air and, say, 8 gal. of either conventional petrol, ethanol or biofuel could hit between 800 and 1000 miles.”
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4251491.html?series=19

I want one. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great something else for small people with no family, what about us pleasantly big and family guys. I know it is just a great invention but I want it all big and roomey with 1000 per tank.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow...I'd love one.

Assuming no issues and hopefully no major wrecks, I'll be able to retire my 4WD Honder to winter beater status around 2010 - 2011.

I'd really like to have something like that as my primary ride ;)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great something else for small people with no family, what about us pleasantly big and family guys. I know it is just a great invention but I want it all big and roomey with 1000 per tank.
Buy 2, one for each foot.

Hmm....I might have to raise my prices so I can get 2 myself. :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OH SURE you post something that has already posted and Caver doesn't correct you :D

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60223
Car Runs On Air - MDI - the Air Car
Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
Oh. Opps.
And more people looked at your post too

Hey no biggie I am just glad people saw it, besides... its your house
First of all Xue, I just wa-- :lol: want to say th...:rofl: you're right in that it's ...wait... :lfao:

whoo... ok...
First of all Xue, I just (giggles) want to say that you're right in that it's Bob's house. So how could I even think of correcting him?

Attachments

• $king.gif
    152 bytes · Views: 123
  • $bow.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 119

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And more people looked at your post too :ticked: :uhyeah:

Hey no biggie I am just glad people saw it, besides... its your house
Bob's like E F Hutton...when he speaks, well, you know.

I'm with Terry on this. At 6'2" I'm betting I'd need a shoe horn to get in and out. The biggest problem for new types of cars like that have been price for most folks, I think. At less than 18k they might actually catch on. Hell, if you drive it around D.C. you could let the politicians supply the hot air and save even more money.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob's like E F Hutton...when he speaks, well, you know.

I'm with Terry on this. At 6'2" I'm betting I'd need a shoe horn to get in and out. The biggest problem for new types of cars like that have been price for most folks, I think. At less than 18k they might actually catch on. Hell, if you drive it around D.C. you could let the politicians supply the hot air and save even more money.

It makes me wonder though...the one they are trying to make for the U.S. Market says it has 4 doors and seating for 6. Which sound like it may actually have some room. I'm not sure if I could mentally adapt to driving one of those tiny 3-wheelers like Aptera is promoting after years of driving my SUVs. :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It makes me wonder though...the one they are trying to make for the U.S. Market says it has 4 doors and seating for 6. Which sound like it may actually have some room. I'm not sure if I could mentally adapt to driving one of those tiny 3-wheelers like Aptera is promoting after years of driving my SUVs. :D
HA! They can have my SUV (Jeep) when they pry my cold dead hands off the steering wheel!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HA! They can have my SUV (Jeep) when they pry my cold dead hands off the steering wheel!
Wow, Caver. Didn't take you long to get hooked on that Cherokee. I've gotta put new brakes all the way around on my cherokee this weekend. I hate doing drum brakes but don't mind disc quite so bad.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Note that I didn't say that I was getting rid of mine. :D Retiring to be used as a winter beater means I'd keep it for when I need it ;)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Note that I didn't say that I was getting rid of mine. :D Retiring to be used as a winter beater means I'd keep it for when I need it ;)
Even if these things work great I think it's gonna be a long time before everyone gets rid of their SUVs and other gasoline engine vehicles. Most folks just aren't that open to a change that dramatic. I'm rough on a vehicle. Off roading, rock crawling, up and down logging trails. Just how rugged can an air powered engine be?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Same here fellow Jeeper! (Theletch1 included)
icon6.gif

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Same here fellow Jeeper! (Theletch1 included)
icon6.gif
Parked on a hillside above all the anti-jeepers and SUV-ers... we lean out of our driver side windows gunning our engines and scream out like the Rohirrim three times!
DEAAATTH!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I'm facinated by the tech behind this car, and what it could mean to the auto industry as a whole. Who knows, maybe someday we'll have SUV's that get 100 MPG.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally, I'm facinated by the tech behind this car, and what it could mean to the auto industry as a whole. Who knows, maybe someday we'll have SUV's that get 100 MPG.

Yeah well we would have that technology TODAY if the oil companies and automobile industry weren't such great bedfellows
They've been warned and tried to be given dozens of alternate ways to improve their cars but nooo, way too much money is being made to cut the goose's neck...

Rumor has it gas prices will get up to $3.40+ this summer...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are that price at some stations near me, now.