Kids and weapons

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At what age do you start your children in weapon systems?
For us it has been ever since they can hold a sword and run around.
For us, it's when they have enough capability with the basic foundations and the maturity to hold a weapon. Unfortunately not all kids mature at the same rate.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its jot a joke
Just in case you're referring to a different one-I know some kenpo schools create their own weapon sets and students don't even know sometimes it's different than the original, or just differences from sub-styles; would you be able to find a video of the staff/bo set?

OP
angelariz

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just in case you're referring to a different one-I know some kenpo schools create their own weapon sets and students don't even know sometimes it's different than the original, or just differences from sub-styles; would you be able to find a video of the staff/bo set?
Why not start another topic instead of hijacking this one to insult other peoples systems? This post is not about kenpo or its whether the weapon sets are useful to you. Any training is better than none. Most kids today are sitting in front of a television. If a bo or Jo set gets them moving that is an accomplishment all unto itself.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not start another topic instead of hijacking this one to insult other peoples systems? This post is not about kenpo or its whether the weapon sets are useful to you. Any training is better than none. Most kids today are sitting in front of a television. If a bo or Jo set gets them moving that is an accomplishment all unto itself.
So
A: i haven't said anything negative or insulting about kenpo or it's weapons systems.

B: even if I was trying to insult kenpo, I'm not going to start a separate thread to insult another member/his system. I'm surprised you somehow think that's better.

C: thread drift happens in most threads that goes past a page. If you don't believe me explore the site a bit.

D: Probably the most important one-its relevant to this thread. If people are learning a performance set vs. practical weapon usage, those are two different things. And people would argue the age for both differently. So if people are debating weapon usage for kids, and some are thinking person on person, some or thinking forms only, and others are thinking performance forms only, that matters. Which just knowing the systems some practice on here, I think there is that difference in mindset, but I'm not going to assume performance form only for someone if I don't know for sure what he's referring to.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for me....I’m not insulting other people’s systems....I’m insulting my own system. I’m a Kenpo third dan black belt so yeah I’m happy to say my opinion on my own system that the set yes fine it’s a set learn it cool it’s nice to learn but for practicality it’s not useful in that regard

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also I disagree that any training is better than none....if you’re learning stuff that simply doesn’t work but you think it does then you try and use said stuff in a real situation and it doesn’t work in that said situation...you’re then in a lot of danger

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
foam covered bo and nunchaku are often good for kids, and helps then learn to be more responsible with thing in their hands

Latest Discussions