Kicks and self defense

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hate to rain on the parade, but these kicks are the bread and butter of any reputable MA school that teaches self defence. That is not to say I didn't enjoy the video. Just that the kicks demonstrated here are not exclusive to KM.
If you posted the vid as an example of how to use kicks in SD, then I agree with you. KM is a very practical fighting system. Even so, a couple of the kicks were a bit higher than I would like, but for me a high kick takes out the groin.

OP
D

Donsky

White Belt
Reaction score
that was the intention. KM didnt really invent anything new.

and higher kicks arent to be excluded as an SD tool. For the average trainee learning how to do a high kick might be alittel too hard and require better flexibility and shape. however, that doesnt mean that the better fit person cant learn them and having them in his toolbox when facing a threat.

Spork3245

Orange Belt
Reaction score
that was the intention. KM didnt really invent anything new.

and higher kicks arent to be excluded as an SD tool. For the average trainee learning how to do a high kick might be alittel too hard and require better flexibility and shape. however, that doesnt mean that the better fit person cant learn them and having them in his toolbox when facing a threat.

While I agree that high-kicks can be deadly, but try attempting them with jeans on. I personally favor going for the groin and knees... I will however kick an attacker in the head, but generally when they are on the ground and it's the heel of my boot to their head ;)
Vitor is quite good, I had a blast training with him last week in Israel.

Just keep in mind though that when Imi was in his late 70's he used to say "When I was younger, I could kick a man in the head... Now I still can, but I must kick him twice (once in the groin, then in the head once he is bent over)".

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You can mitigate the problem of constraint with jeans by hoisting the waist higher, and cinching the belt tighter. I had to poke two extra holes in several belts to achieve the desired affect of being able to still kick at head level for a tall-ish person... to me at least. I am short though, so high kicks to me are relatively probably upper-medium level kicks for others.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And by not wearing skinny jeans.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eh? Jeans dont give me problems.

You can mitigate the problem of constraint with jeans by hoisting the waist higher, and cinching the belt tighter. I had to poke two extra holes in several belts to achieve the desired affect of being able to still kick at head level for a tall-ish person... to me at least. I am short though, so high kicks to me are relatively probably upper-medium level kicks for others.

Im the opposite - I can just aim My chest height, and have it wind up being alot of peoples head.