Kicking with rechamber vs no rechamber

OP
E

Equilibrum32

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No. If I do two things at once it's because I want to.
Is your muscle memory really that easily confused?
Yes. I did ITF TaeKwonDo and Boxing back to back and constantly did both boxing and TKD punches intermixed. I did sinewave for an example when shadowboxing, didn't rotate enough, etc. People who had no prior experience had much more accurate boxing technique.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I did ITF TaeKwonDo and Boxing back to back and constantly did both boxing and TKD punches intermixed. I did sinewave for an example when shadowboxing, didn't rotate enough, etc. People who had no prior experience had much more accurate boxing technique.
Perhaps the issue is with you. I have Dan ranks in KKW, ITF and MDK styles and don't have any issues. Nor do I have any reason to think I'm just some world class prodigy. I think I'm pretty normal. Nor do I find myself using TKD techniques when I'm fighting with rapier.

OP
E

Equilibrum32

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps the issue is with you. I have Dan ranks in KKW, ITF and MDK styles and don't have any issues. Nor do I have any reason to think I'm just some world class prodigy. I think I'm pretty normal. Nor do I find myself using TKD techniques when I'm fighting with rapier.

You didn't do it back to back, right?

TSD_BrewNinja

White Belt
Reaction score
My experience is that rechambering stiffles the strike somewhat for average mortals. You inevitably lean to recoil the leg and your body is anticipating rechambering before the strike is launched, which makes it less impactful.

Discussion:

Is there a compromise to kicks that involve rechambers as opposed to natural decline/drop?
My "compromise" has always been situational. By that I mean for testing or tournaments or demonstrations, I always want to execute proper kicking form and to me, that means a full and complete rechamber. On the other hand, for sparring or other practical kicking, I want that kick up and back down as fast as possible, so I modify my rechamber. For example, a roundhouse kick off the back leg is a very long kick. I wouldn't want to throw that kick and have my leg drop at the point of impact/extension. I would want a modified rechamber that would put me back into a ready / fighting stance and wouldn't leave me exposed to a counterattack.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You didn't do it back to back, right?

You are confusing the importance of technique over concept a bit.

Concept, timing and knowledge of how to make your body functional under a bunch of different conditions is the most important skill.

Then you will find every kick is thrown in a slightly different way depending on what is going on at the time.

OP
E

Equilibrum32

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You are confusing the importance of technique over concept a bit.

Concept, timing and knowledge of how to make your body functional under a bunch of different conditions is the most important skill.

Then you will find every kick is thrown in a slightly different way depending on what is going on at the time.

There was no problem once I only focused on one at a time. Then when the new stimuli was ingrained I was able to do both interchangably.

OP
E

Equilibrum32

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So you would spar and what happened exactly?
Sparring went fine. I kicked butt (well punched actually). But the fundamentals were trickier, and people with no martial arts background had it down properly before me, even though they couldn't spar to save their life.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They overlap so much that the comparison in invalid
How much imaginary overlap do you think there is between various TKD styles and HEMA?
And, just so we know you're not speaking from ignorance, what is your training and experience in ITF, KKW, MDK and HEMA?

OP
E

Equilibrum32

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Btw
How much imaginary overlap do you think there is between various TKD styles and HEMA?
And, just so we know you're not speaking from ignorance, what is your training and experience in ITF, KKW, MDK and HEMA?

I'll answer like this: The only risk is if there is both great overlap and great differences, which was the case of ITF and Boxing. If I learned Wing Chun instead, there would be no interference from ITF mechanic memory. And the same If you do fencing.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Btw

I'll answer like this: The only risk is if there is both great overlap and great differences, which was the case of ITF and Boxing. If I learned Wing Chun instead, there would be no interference from ITF mechanic memory. And the same If you do fencing.
You didn't answer the question, so I will assume the answer is that you are, in fact, posting from ignorance.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sparring went fine. I kicked butt (well punched actually). But the fundamentals were trickier, and people with no martial arts background had it down properly before me, even though they couldn't spar to save their life.

Wait what?

They had the fundamentals down. But couldn't apply them? How are those two statements possible.

OP
E

Equilibrum32

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You didn't answer the question, so I will assume the answer is that you are, in fact, posting from ignorance.

You didn't answer my question so why should I answer your? It was a past tense question. Did you train both styles back to the back, or did you make a full transition to the KKW and later trained the other style or styles back to back? Or did you always train ITF side by side with the KKW?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You didn't answer my question so why should I answer your? It was a past tense question. Did you train both styles back to the back, or did you make a full transition to the KKW and later trained the other style or styles back to back? Or did you always train ITF side by side with the KKW?
I trained ITF alone, but I trained KKW and MDK at the same time. And I teach them all at the same time. And nobody has any problems with confused muscle memory.
So, are you going to continue dodging the question?

OP
E

Equilibrum32

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I trained ITF alone, but I trained KKW and MDK at the same time. And I teach them all at the same time. And nobody has any problems with confused muscle memory.
So, are you going to continue dodging the question?

I stand by my statement that the overlap between those three is for greater than between ITF and Boxing.

Latest Discussions