Kickboxing gloves

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So when I do my kickboxing training I use my own 12 ounce gloves but I was wondering what type are used for normal kickboxing fights. Because I have seen some train with 16 ounce and I tried them once but they felt far to big and honestly it felt slower punching with them. I don't really get why they have different sizes everyone should just train and fight in the same size gloves all the time or it would cause problems (you train in one size glove but have To fight in another size) also recently with Tyson furys last fight he made a fuss aboht the size of the gloves and if they couldn't get the right size in time the fight would've been cancelled. Surely it'd be simpler just to have one size for everyone

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You train with 16,s mostly so you can Spar without unduly hurting your partner.

You can fight in 10,s without any adjustment.

You don't get your own gloves in a fight anyway. You get the promoters gloves. And you get different wraps.

I would potentially punch a guys head off who demanded he spars in small gloves because it is inconsiderate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyson Fury is a first class idiot and nothing he says should ever be taken seriously.
Train with 16oz and yes it will feel slower but when you wear lighter gloves you most likely will be quicker, have a think about it. There usually is a vey good reason for things we do, I'd ask first to see what it is before deciding it's rubbish.