Kettebells for strength

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are, again, trying to require people to use the exact definition and usage you have in mind. That's not how communication works. Ever.
no, 8m not requiring him to do anything, but in the same vein I'm not required to accept his definition either,

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, 8m not requiring him to do anything, but in the same vein I'm not required to accept his definition either,
Then maybe re-read your own post, and figure out how telling him he's wrong about the usage of the word isn't requiring that he use the meaning you prefer. What you're doing is at best just that. Instead, you could just try understanding the posts, because that's the half of communication you (quite willingly) discard just to be difficult.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then maybe re-read your own post, and figure out how telling him he's wrong about the usage of the word isn't requiring that he use the meaning you prefer. What you're doing is at best just that. Instead, you could just try understanding the posts, because that's the half of communication you (quite willingly) discard just to be difficult.
well he is wrong, but I'm not requiring him to do anything about it, he can continue being wrong if he wishes.

and I didn't say he was wrong, I did suggest he was incorrect,

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm pretty good at jumping (okay, less so as my knees get worse, but still). And I'm pretty good at sinking into resistance. They're two different things. Just like squatting doesn't seem to affect my ability to run, nor bicep curls my ability to do push-ups.
Agree. It is like saying doing pull-ups make it harder to set down. From my wrestling days I would have to say a strong core is to your advantage for sinking. That and good technique of course.
Jump rope is a very good, very inexpensive exercise. I am still hoping to hear from the "bum knee" folks if they still jump rope or avoid it completely.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. It is like saying doing pull-ups make it harder to set down. From my wrestling days I would have to say a strong core is to your advantage for sinking. That and good technique of course.
Jump rope is a very good, very inexpensive exercise. I am still hoping to hear from the "bum knee" folks if they still jump rope or avoid it completely.
I avoid it for reasons that have nothing to do with my knees. I just suck bad enough I don't get good exercise out of it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
surely starting off at a?? sensible weight and building your wrist strength is a better idea than binding your wrists up. as that way you won't?? strength en your wrist at all

Of course starting with a sensible weight is the normal and smart thing to do as well as the recommended way by everyone. Yet, kettlebell movement as you move up in weight due to the nature of the movement of a round weight will place some stress on your wrist even though you are of course strengthening it. Naturally, a person who is interested in keeping their wrists from injuries will utilize some form of wrist support to protect that joint. As you move up in weight this is even more important. Mind you I lift with perfect form and am not talking about the kettle bell hitting the wrist but instead the movement from the kettlebell affecting the wrist joint.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Danny, you never cease to inspire me. Right when I need it, too. Coming back from injury and illness can be a beach. You give me a mental life jacket. Mahalo, brother.
Thank you Buka...Nice to know I have been an inspiration to someone. LOL.
I just showed this to my wife. Sweet thing just chucked and said "He doesn't really know you does he? That or he's just as foolish as you. Most men your age stopped doing all that years ago."

As tough as it has been growing in age along with the wear and tear I'm not willing to quit. My internal spirit and vital energy is to important to my fulfillment of life.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you Buka...Nice to know I have been an inspiration to someone. LOL.
I just showed this to my wife. Sweet thing just chucked and said "He doesn't really know you does he? That or he's just as foolish as you. Most men your age stopped doing all that years ago."

As tough as it has been growing in age along with the wear and tear I'm not willing to quit. My internal spirit and vital energy is to important to my fulfillment of life.

Quit, heck, we're just warming up.

Women. They always were smarter than us.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that from the impact when "dropping" the kettlebell to the back of the hand (as on a clean and press)? Or is it from improper use of the wrist - bad positioning - during certain exercises?

I know Brian gave an answer about wrist injuries in general. But, just wanted to add that with proper form the kb should never "bang" the wrist or forearm or have any significant impact. If it is impacting the wrist as it rotates around, your form is off and will lead to other injuries over time. I have even seen people highlighting their bad form and talk about the benefits of the "forearm conditioning" that they get from the kb exercises. That's not the purpose of the exercise and isn't even a byproduct of proper form and training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Brian gave an answer about wrist injuries in general. But, just wanted to add that with proper form the kb should never "bang" the wrist or forearm or have any significant impact. If it is impacting the wrist as it rotates around, your form is off and will lead to other injuries over time. I have even seen people highlighting their bad form and talk about the benefits of the "forearm conditioning" that they get from the kb exercises. That's not the purpose of the exercise and isn't even a byproduct of proper form and training.
Agreed. That's why I was asking. I've seen some folks flailing about with them in ways that probably did produce actual injury from those impacts.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well no, kb are close to a whole body exercise, that there beauty. I really doubt any one in moderate condition who hasn't gone silly with the weight is going to cause themselves serious injury to the wrists, I mean really what will they break, minor injury will just result in what ever you injured becoming stronger, which is the main purpose of swinging them about in the first place

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well no, kb are close to a whole body exercise, that there beauty. I really doubt any one in moderate condition who hasn't gone silly with the weight is going to cause themselves serious injury to the wrists, I mean really what will they break, minor injury will just result in what ever you injured becoming stronger, which is the main purpose of swinging them about in the first place
That's not the reality of joints. Minor repetitive injuries do not strengthen them. They will strengthen individual tissues via scarring, but that doesn't improve the joint.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not the reality of joints. Minor repetitive injuries do not strengthen them. They will strengthen individual tissues via scarring, but that doesn't improve the joint.
are you saying it causes bone damage or soft tissue injuries, I think it will take significant overload using silly weights over a significant time to cause any notable bone damage.

that's the cue for you to magic up a study showing kettle bells cause bone damage, as exposed to stren5hihg them, which is the normal outcome for percussive exercises ? the idea is to resist the wrist whip at the end, not to bounce your wrist to the extent of its rom, that will strengthen the soft tissue and the bone, with iut wrechpking the wrist joint

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you saying it causes bone damage or soft tissue injuries, I think it will take significant overload using silly weights over a significant time to cause any notable bone damage.

that's the cue for you to magic up a study showing kettle bells cause bone damage, as exposed to stren5hihg them, which is the normal outcome for percussive exercises ? the idea is to resist the wrist whip at the end, not to bounce your wrist to the extent of its rom, that will strengthen the soft tissue and the bone, with iut wrechpking the wrist joint
I'd guess soft tissue injuries. Remember that wrist joints can have problems from no real weight at all, if stressed the right way - carpal tunnel syndrome.

Maybe next time, don't strawman right as you're asking what someone means.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd guess soft tissue injuries. Remember that wrist joints can have problems from no real weight at all, if stressed the right way - carpal tunnel syndrome.

Maybe next time, don't strawman right as you're asking what someone means.
carpal tunnel syndrome, is the carpal ligiments wearing in to their eer tunnel, the carpal ligaments work the fingers not the wrist, which is why typists suffer from it.it just happens to be in the wrist were it happens, it isn't caused by movement of the wrist

RSIs in general are years in the making, so hours a day, week after week for years, nobody got tennis elbow on 12mins hitting a ball 3 times a week

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quit, heck, we're just warming up.

Women. They always were smarter than us.
I just could not bring myself to click "agree" on that one. Maybe if you said "they Think they are always smarter". That said, most the time they are.:D

Latest Discussions