Kettebells for strength

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saved your list. I know this may be asking a lot but can you give a brief explanation of the exercises? Many of the names I am unfamiliar with.
If you have an iOS device I can do better than that. They are in two apps available on iOS (don't think there's an Android version, or I'd have it, too). If you'e not an iOS user, I'll try to find YouTube videos for them - there's literally no way I'd be able to accurately describe (or even demonstrate!) a 2-hand Anyhow. It's just bizarre.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just seen the 5 best for BJJ and think I will start with that and build on it.I still jump rope because it took a while to learn it and I don't want to put it down right yet.I just want to do it all and have to not overtrain myself,thanks
it's not either or, jump rope is a fantastic exercise, if you can actually do it, I do it with an imaginary rope, as it seems easier

OP
G

Glenn67

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That depends the approach you want to take. I do them as intervals, so usually just as many as I can do in 30 or 60 seconds (different weights, depending upon the interval, obviously), with 10-20 second rest periods between. If I want to do them as sets, I shorten the interval and repeat the sequence (rather than doing 3 sets of one exercise, it's 3 trips through the sequence of exercises).
I used to do a sequence of 8 exercises and rested between circuits. for a minute.I will do it like you said.I want to build strength and BJJ and jump rope will build the cardio.Thanks.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's not either or, jump rope is a fantastic exercise, if you can actually do it, I do it with an imaginary rope, as it seems easier
You know, maybe that's what I need to do. I rather suck at jumping an actual rope.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just seen the 5 best for BJJ and think I will start with that and build on it.I still jump rope because it took a while to learn it and I don't want to put it down right yet.I just want to do it all and have to not overtrain myself,thanks
Skipping rope is a great exercise. Not only for cardio but calf's, ankles, it helps build quickness on the feet, explosive footwork, focus, and timing. It's a great warmup, excellent active rest between rounds, and active cool down after the heavy workout.

If you are pretending to use a rope then it won't help your focus or timing.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the biggest issues with kettlebells is wrist injuries. Make sure you are wearing some kind of weight lifting glove with heavy wrist support!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest issues with kettlebells is wrist injuries. Make sure you are wearing some kind of weight lifting glove with heavy wrist support!
Is that from the impact when "dropping" the kettlebell to the back of the hand (as on a clean and press)? Or is it from improper use of the wrist - bad positioning - during certain exercises?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that from the impact when "dropping" the kettlebell to the back of the hand (as on a clean and press)? Or is it from improper use of the wrist - bad positioning - during certain exercises?

Usually it is just from the repetitive movement of the kettlebell into the clean and jerk. Not the impact but the movement of the object. Many people's wrist suffer during that movement especially when you start using heavier weights.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do any older guys here train at the same time with kettlebells?
The stone lock is similar to the KB. The difference is it's much easier to hold it to do a punch. This will make your weight training fully integrated with your MA training.

This stone lock is light weight.

This stone lock is heavy weight.

I cannot believe this stone lock costs $2,180.

"Ishi Sashi" 19th Century Chinese Martial Arts Weight For Sale at 1stdibs
stone-lock-1.jpg

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
surely starting off at a?? sensible weight and building your wrist strength is a better idea than binding your wrists up. as that way you won't?? strength en your wrist at all

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
surely starting off at a?? sensible weight and building your wrist strength is a better idea than binding your wrists up. as that way you won't?? strength en your wrist at all
It probably depends somewhat on the relative strength of those muscles versus the larger arm muscles. My wrists are probably more durable than my shoulders, so I wonder if I need worry about this. For someone who hasn't had the constant stressing/strengthening of wrist support muscles, but has done better than me at building and maintaining shoulder muscles, it might be harder to select a "sensible weight" for the wrists, since that might be lighter than what's sensible for the primary muscles for the exercise.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It probably depends somewhat on the relative strength of those muscles versus the larger arm muscles. My wrists are probably more durable than my shoulders, so I wonder if I need worry about this. For someone who hasn't had the constant stressing/strengthening of wrist support muscles, but has done better than me at building and maintaining shoulder muscles, it might be harder to select a "sensible weight" for the wrists, since that might be lighter than what's sensible for the primary muscles for the exercise.
hmm, every thing you do with those shoulder muscles is going through the wrist. it's really pointless increasing their strength if your wrist are a weak link.

back when I started my fitness journey. I bought a 15 lb bell, swung it once and put my back out, so I got a 10 lbs one swung it 5 times and put my back out. so a five pond ladies one it was. that way I sorted my weak link before moving on to more challenging weights /

with wrists just holding it end on for a period will help no end. if it's heavy, don't hold it as long as if it's light.

OP
G

Glenn67

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I haven't had a problem with that yet but I will keep it in mind.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm, every thing you do with those shoulder muscles is going through the wrist. it's really pointless increasing their strength if your wrist are a weak link.

back when I started my fitness journey. I bought a 15 lb bell, swung it once and put my back out, so I got a 10 lbs one swung it 5 times and put my back out. so a five pond ladies one it was. that way I sorted my weak link before moving on to more challenging weights /

with wrists just holding it end on for a period will help no end. if it's heavy, don't hold it as long as if it's light.
Oh, I agree. My point was just that someone with strong enough shoulders might injure themselves because they don't recognize they're over-stressing the wrist.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have an iOS device I can do better than that. They are in two apps available on iOS (don't think there's an Android version, or I'd have it, too). If you'e not an iOS user, I'll try to find YouTube videos for them - there's literally no way I'd be able to accurately describe (or even demonstrate!) a 2-hand Anyhow. It's just bizarre.
Thanks, I have an iPhone. If you have the app names I will search for them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I have an iPhone. If you have the app names I will search for them.
The two apps are "Beginners Kettlebell Workout" and "Kettlebell Strength Workout", both by Samuel Pont. The beginner's version is the shorter and easier one, of course - you can complete the whole circuit in about 10-15 minutes, and hit everything. I sometimes shorten it a bit to get a quick extra workout when I've been too lazy, otherwise, or just need to start the day with a bit of activity.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The two apps are "Beginners Kettlebell Workout" and "Kettlebell Strength Workout", both by Samuel Pont. The beginner's version is the shorter and easier one, of course - you can complete the whole circuit in about 10-15 minutes, and hit everything. I sometimes shorten it a bit to get a quick extra workout when I've been too lazy, otherwise, or just need to start the day with a bit of activity.
Got them. Thank you

Latest Discussions