Kenpo question

demon seed

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, does anyone know which kenpo or chuan fa systems wear red uniforms?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In general, for most styles of kenpo I know the traditional color is black, for the rest the traditional color is white. I've heard along the west coast of the US it's reversed; the primary color is white, with the occasional school using black. That's for american kenpo, it's offshoots, and the okinawan kempo I'm familiar with. No clue about chinese kempo/chuan fa, although in shaolin kempo everyone in the schools I've gone to wears either black or white (but despite it's name it's also an offshoot from american kenpo).

That said, it would depend a lot more on the school. Some schools may allow you to wear whatever gi color you want. Is there a purpose behind your question?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is common these days, for any color, from any group.
My guess (to be corrected by demon seed) is that either he saw a kenpo video with someone wearing a red gi and wants to know what style it was 9in which case showing us the video would be far more helpful), or he just started out and thinks the red gi is cool (in which case he should ask his instructor directly if he is allowed to wear the red gi). In those cases, I get where he's coming from, but I;ve also worn a white, blue and black gi to the same place and my sensei didnt care...its really not that important...

OP
D

demon seed

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, does anyone know which kenpo or chuan fa systems wear red uniforms?

Oh I forgot to say. I saw a video on YouTube. I think it was kenpo or chuan fa of some kind. Any way, this girl had blonde hair and the forms she was demonstrating was kind of a mix of long fist and maybe taiji. That's the flavor impression it gave me. I wanted to view it again but now I can't find the video. I could be wrong about the red outfit. My memory is hit and miss. If anyone has a idea of what I'm jawing about I'd appreciate it.
By the way, anybody ever see those Master Ken enter the dojo videos? They're funny.

Latest Discussions