Keiko Osame / Osoji

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Anyone participate in Keiko Osame and or Osoji to wrap up and ring in the new Warrior Year?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
upload_2018-1-2_12-0-57.jpeg

Keiko Osumi........ah yes very beautiful, Miss Gainsville 2014.

oh oh you meant Keiko Osami.. :facepalm:
when i trained in Aikido we used to do something similar. we would do a 3 hr training until the clock chimed in the new year.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have our Kagami Biraki on Sunday Jan 21st. My favorite workout every year. Our dojo’s tradition of sorts is to keep going until the mirrors are fogged up. We start at 8 am, then have some refreshments and snacks afterwards.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have our Kagami Biraki on Sunday Jan 21st. My favorite workout every year. Our dojo’s tradition of sorts is to keep going until the mirrors are fogged up. We start at 8 am, then have some refreshments and snacks afterwards.
None of the schools I trained at had anything like this. None of them really had the level of "workout" I hear a lot of folks get/got - you only got that tired when you and your partner really got into working hard in a class. I feel a bit left out, actually - it's the kind of thing I'd have gotten into in my 20's and 30's.

OP
M

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We do it every year and everyone is able to participate...from our youngest to our oldest...what does age have anything to do with it?

None of the schools I trained at had anything like this. None of them really had the level of "workout" I hear a lot of folks get/got - you only got that tired when you and your partner really got into working hard in a class. I feel a bit left out, actually - it's the kind of thing I'd have gotten into in my 20's and 30's.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do it every year and everyone is able to participate...from our youngest to our oldest...what does age have anything to do with it?
Only that I wouldn't enjoy it as much now as I would then. Heavy exertion takes a much larger toll on me than it did. I tend to assume that's both because I'm older and because I'm not as active as I used to be.

OP
M

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am 46, and I enjoy is as much as the next person, as do my seniors who are in their 50's and 60's.

Only that I wouldn't enjoy it as much now as I would then. Heavy exertion takes a much larger toll on me than it did. I tend to assume that's both because I'm older and because I'm not as active as I used to be.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am 46, and I enjoy is as much as the next person, as do my seniors who are in their 50's and 60's.
Other than my knees, I'd probably still enjoy it nearly as much if I was as active as I was then. Too much desk work and time spent on airplanes, I'm afraid. That compounded by a lot of downtime from a series of significant, but not major, injuries - likely caused by a lack of consistency in my activity level. Things just hurt a bunch more than they used to.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As MI_martialist said, just about everyone in the dojo participates. Not as many kids make it, as the parents probably don’t want to get them to the dojo for an 8 am event on a Sunday morning, but a decent number do. I’m one of the younger adults at 41. Our oldest is probably mid 60s.

It’s more or less a ton of kihon and pushups and sit-ups. We don’t move much from our spots because there’s no room to move. We just plug away with non-stop kihon for about 2 hours.

Usually being very cold outside and having about 40 people breathing heavy in a pretty small space helps the mirrors fog up. One year someone cleaned the mirrors with something the night before and they just wouldn’t fog. The windows and glass door fogged up pretty good so we called it a day after 2 hours.

It’s not as grueling as it sounds. No one’s passed out that I know of. And we feed off of each other’s energy. It’s a great time.

Nakamura holds his Kagami Biraki at honbu the week before and has a philosophical message for the new year after the workout. My CI (and others who can make it) attends and basically reiterates that message to us afterwards.

Here’s a somewhat group photo from a previous year (can’t fit the entire dojo into one action photo)...
32660508-CACD-4DF0-89D4-E19BC911802B.jpeg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As MI_martialist said, just about everyone in the dojo participates. Not as many kids make it, as the parents probably don’t want to get them to the dojo for an 8 am event on a Sunday morning, but a decent number do. I’m one of the younger adults at 41. Our oldest is probably mid 60s.

It’s more or less a ton of kihon and pushups and sit-ups. We don’t move much from our spots because there’s no room to move. We just plug away with non-stop kihon for about 2 hours.

Usually being very cold outside and having about 40 people breathing heavy in a pretty small space helps the mirrors fog up. One year someone cleaned the mirrors with something the night before and they just wouldn’t fog. The windows and glass door fogged up pretty good so we called it a day after 2 hours.

It’s not as grueling as it sounds. No one’s passed out that I know of. And we feed off of each other’s energy. It’s a great time.

Nakamura holds his Kagami Biraki at honbu the week before and has a philosophical message for the new year after the workout. My CI (and others who can make it) attends and basically reiterates that message to us afterwards.

Here’s a somewhat group photo from a previous year (can’t fit the entire dojo into one action photo)...
View attachment 21180
Maybe not as uncomfortable as I thought, as long as I stay un-injured. I still can't do a lot of push-ups (shoulders lost a lot of strength last year), but that sort of thing might be a good start to getting back.

As I said before, whenever I read about this kind of thing, I wish it had ever been a part of my group training.

OP
M

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We should always find an excuse to train, and not one to not train. A warrior does not stop training, but optimizes training to meet physical needs and restrictions!

In a true Keiko Osame, it is about practice...about productive repetitions. I can tell you we NEVER do push ups, and those types of exercises in a class...class is for training and practice of applications...

You should initiate keiko osame at your place for the end of the year...

Maybe not as uncomfortable as I thought, as long as I stay un-injured. I still can't do a lot of push-ups (shoulders lost a lot of strength last year), but that sort of thing might be a good start to getting back.

As I said before, whenever I read about this kind of thing, I wish it had ever been a part of my group training.

OP
M

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Technically it should be around the 11th, right? Why do you do this? What is the purpose? It is not the same as keiko osame, that is for sure...

I am truly curious...why do you do the Kagami Biraki?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should always find an excuse to train, and not one to not train. A warrior does not stop training, but optimizes training to meet physical needs and restrictions!

In a true Keiko Osame, it is about practice...about productive repetitions. I can tell you we NEVER do push ups, and those types of exercises in a class...class is for training and practice of applications...

You should initiate keiko osame at your place for the end of the year...

If I can get the program up to something reasonable, I'd love to start doing something like this at least once a year (currently, anything end-of-year would end up being me and maybe Maria). It's not that different from what I end up doing when I train solo, but I think it's a lot more fun with a group to share the sweat.

I'd probably do some of the push-up stuff, because (when I'm reasonably healthy) I actually like that kind of thing. It would be a good time to get students focused on getting a lot of reps in - a concept some of the more analytical ones struggle with during regular training.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Technically it should be around the 11th, right? Why do you do this? What is the purpose? It is not the same as keiko osame, that is for sure...

I am truly curious...why do you do the Kagami Biraki?
Yes, the technical date is January 11th. Our honbu dojo does it on the second Sunday in January, as it’s usually pretty close to the 11th. Being a Sunday morning, it’s far easier on everyone’s schedule.

Our dojo does ours the week after so as to not conflict with our honbu’s, and so whoever would like to make the trip to honbu can do so (2.5 hour drive). Several of our seniors go every year.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we did 9 rounds of subwrestling on new years day.

There was a morning fitness session on chrismas day. I went for a kyack instead.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
we did 9 rounds of subwrestling on new years day.

There was a morning fitness session on chrismas day. I went for a kyack instead.
My former organization used to have an intense workout on New Year’s Day. At 9 am. I was in that organization from age 19-24. Needless to say, I never went.

The head of the organization gave my sensei at the time an earful about his students never showing up. He said “My guys are pretty much all college aged guys. Do you think they’re going to be in any shape to show up at 9 am on New Year’s Day? And if they actually made it here, do you really want them here in that condition?” The head guy shook his head and walked away muttering something or other.

According to Facebook, they’ve since changed it to noon on New Year’s Day. Not that that would’ve been much better for us. Last call is at 4 am in New York :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I have a torn labrum in my shoulder. Swimming, throwing, and push-ups really light me up.

I’ve got to think of something else I can do while everyone else is doing push-ups. I can only do so many sit-ups (I do them when they’re doing push-ups, then I do them again when everyone else is doing sit-ups).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a torn labrum in my shoulder. Swimming, throwing, and push-ups really light me up.

I’ve got to think of something else I can do while everyone else is doing push-ups. I can only do so many sit-ups (I do them when they’re doing push-ups, then I do them again when everyone else is doing sit-ups).
While I was recovering from my rotator cuff injury (tears in 2 of the muscles), push-ups were right out, as was a bunch else. I can do them now, but at about the 7th one, I start to feel it in that shoulder, and not in a good way. It’ll be a while before I can do the variations I love to torture students with.

Latest Discussions