Osoji - the Japanese resolution

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this thread belongs elsewhere.

I just read an article on osoji and a similar thread exists in the LLR, but thought it would be nice to present it to the entire board.

From the Asian Reporter:

Japanese tradition of Osoji may help with New Year’s resolutions

With a new year comes the promise of a clean slate, a fresh start, and new beginnings. But of the more than 80 million people who will use the New Year as an opportunity to resolve to do better, after six months more than 40 million of them will have fallen back to their old ways. A look at Asian cultures suggests that the problem may not be willpower so much as improper preparation.

For the entire article go to www.asianreporter.com and run a search of the site for "osoji'http://www.asianreporter.com

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Essentially, the articles speaks of doing what most of us do in the spring as "Spring Cleaning" at the beginning of the new year to enhance the "new start" feeling. It also comes with personal and company reflection, an inner purging. I suppose some might call it atonement.

The idea is that once all old, unneeded things are gone and everything is clean and like new that one creates a place in one's life for better, newer habits, thought patterns, improvements.

Comments?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good idea! I'd like to burn 1/2 of the stuff in my apartment anyways - old papers, photos, etc.

:)

Latest Discussions