Kaysi Fighting Methods?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I know what you mean. But I don't think it wise to restrict your statement to only a martial artist or a soldier. Anyone who is trainable can be trained to do things. The fewer things they are taught, the more time available for what is taught, and therefor the better at it they will be. Fight, Flight or Freeze, even that can be trained. And people do tend to do what they train to.

EDIT: Oh, I see Tez3 has already enlightened you. :)
On top of that, people have different natural reactions to danger cues. I remember reading some research a couple of decades ago about thrill seekers having a different reaction to loud noises. Apparently, most people initially flinch away from a sudden loud noise (like a bang), while thrill seekers (those who do dangerous things for fun) tend to initially orient toward a sudden loud noise. People who don't naturally freeze are perhaps well equipped for dangerous situations (including fights) from the start.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We had some fighters from Keysi fight on one of our MMA fight nights, they were awful. All lost and all seemed at a loss. It may have been just have been those students and that instructor but they didn't leave a good impression. They did swagger around a bit before the fights, they brought lots of supporters all dressed in 'Keysi' hoodies, they were very sure of themselves. Now, no one has to do or compete in MMA but if you are you should have been much more prepared than they were for 'combat'.
Are you saying that a style renowned only for choreographed movie fighting didn't do well in real world application? Whoda thunk it?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that a style renowned only for choreographed movie fighting didn't do well in real world application? Whoda thunk it?

Oh dear, is that where the style comes from? Must admit I'd never heard of it before, that doesn't mean a lot admittedly but some people seem to be quite delusional in that case.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh dear, is that where the style comes from? Must admit I'd never heard of it before, that doesn't mean a lot admittedly but some people seem to be quite delusional in that case.
Keysi is best known for choreograghing a Batman movie and Jack Reacher. Both Keysi and the split off(Defense Labs) use it as a marketing hook.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keysi is best known for choreograghing a Batman movie and Jack Reacher. Both Keysi and the split off(Defense Labs) use it as a marketing hook.

Beat me to it. Keysi first became popular when Batman Begins came out. I was able to watch a video of their yellow belt curriculum. Needless to say, I was not impressed with what I saw. It looked like they tried to put their own spin on Rodney King's "Crazy Monkey Defense". But, they seemed to add alot of "flair" to stuff to put their own stamp on things in an effort to make it their own.

Overall, it's not something I would recommend to anyone.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
On top of that, people have different natural reactions to danger cues. I remember reading some research a couple of decades ago about thrill seekers having a different reaction to loud noises. Apparently, most people initially flinch away from a sudden loud noise (like a bang), while thrill seekers (those who do dangerous things for fun) tend to initially orient toward a sudden loud noise. People who don't naturally freeze are perhaps well equipped for dangerous situations (including fights) from the start.

Interesting. I am not the type of person who does dangerous things just for the fun of it. The more dangerous, the more I am likely to be afraid. When much younger, I learned that an infantryman learns to look towards a sound that may connote danger, and probably do that on the way to the ground. In Vietnam, our infantrymen had to learn a different response, especially to ambushes in jungle environments. They learned to attack towards the sound (until punji sticks became a way of life,then they often retreated in a planned manner to protect each other). I may do either one. But I will still be startled at least, scared to death at worst. :)

As to those who naturally freeze, I don't think they are well equipped because of that, but most can be trained. And they don't have to be taught to unlearn a dangerous action first; only the best actions. If that is what you meant, I agree totally.