Jacksonville, FL

WhiteBeltNoStripe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm being relocated to Jacksonville, FL and am looking for a new school to train. After an hour or so of internet searching, I'm really no closer at finding a school I'm interested in. This surprises me as Jacksonville is a huge city and there are hundreds of schools, but nothing is standing out. Anyone have any recommendations? Open to all styles. Thanks in advance!
(duplicate post, sorry if not allowed)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm being relocated to Jacksonville, FL and am looking for a new school to train. After an hour or so of internet searching, I'm really no closer at finding a school I'm interested in. This surprises me as Jacksonville is a huge city and there are hundreds of schools, but nothing is standing out. Anyone have any recommendations? Open to all styles. Thanks in advance!
(duplicate post, sorry if not allowed)
Are you looking for a certain style? I would expect there is about any style you want in/around the Jacksonville area.
I can tell you that Beyond TKD has a very good sport TKD program and a great workout environment. I have worked with them getting kids ready for AAU. They are pure WT TKD so no rolling.

OP
WhiteBeltNoStripe

WhiteBeltNoStripe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are you looking for a certain style? I would expect there is about any style you want in/around the Jacksonville area.
I can tell you that Beyond TKD has a very good sport TKD program and a great workout environment. I have worked with them getting kids ready for AAU. They are pure WT TKD so no rolling.

I'm open to any style and will be relatively new to martial arts.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm open to any style and will be relatively new to martial arts.
You have a good offering of styles and schools to check out. Since you are new, start with what is most convenient to home/work or lifestyle. Sooner or later time constraints will get in the way. If you have to drive an hour to class it is easy to start letting classes slide. Find a few schools who offer a trial class/course and take the time to give them all a chance. Talk to as many people (instructors, students, etc....) as possible to get a feel for the program. Speaking of programs; if they are promoting a black belt program that would raise flags for me. Websites are good and necessary but a crappy website does not automatically mean a bad program, and vice/versa.
Since you are open to style do not go in with any preconceived ideas. If you have specific goals and especially if you have any limitations be open and honest when you talk with the instructor.

Since you have no preference of style, can you expound on your thoughts of working out or goals? Maybe we can help.

OP
WhiteBeltNoStripe

WhiteBeltNoStripe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You have a good offering of styles and schools to check out. Since you are new, start with what is most convenient to home/work or lifestyle. Sooner or later time constraints will get in the way. If you have to drive an hour to class it is easy to start letting classes slide. Find a few schools who offer a trial class/course and take the time to give them all a chance. Talk to as many people (instructors, students, etc....) as possible to get a feel for the program. Speaking of programs; if they are promoting a black belt program that would raise flags for me. Websites are good and necessary but a crappy website does not automatically mean a bad program, and vice/versa.
Since you are open to style do not go in with any preconceived ideas. If you have specific goals and especially if you have any limitations be open and honest when you talk with the instructor.

Since you have no preference of style, can you expound on your thoughts of working out or goals? Maybe we can help.

Are you in Jacksonville?
I've been a constant martial arts lurker my whole life, even on this page. I've posted a few times about searching for schools and never followed through, usually do to relocating for work and never being in one place very long. This new move will keep me planted for as long as I want, although it's not home as I "live" an hour and a half south in Daytona. Anyway...In the past I've taken TKD, TSD, HKD and BJJ. I've never made any real progress and as I mentioned, will be starting from scratch. As far as styles, I'm in my late forties and don't care about tournaments and stuff like that, although I'm not opposed to them, just not important to me. I'm intrigued with history and lineage, so I would prefer a school/style that has direct links with leaders of the style being taught. That may not make sense, but it does to me, lol. I guess I'm interested in truly learning about the history of what I'm learning as opposed to only being concerned with obtaining a black belt, if that makes sense. I've mentioned in other posts a "defined" program, meaning instruction isn't given "willy nilly" with no structure or clear progression. I hate to say it, but ATA schools have this, although they have been labeled McDojos, as you had mentioned a school promoting a black belt program raises red flags. I do know not all ATA schools are the same and there are some good ones out there, with quality instruction. So, I don't know. I'm also in horrendous physical shape, so the general activity will be great for me as well. So, any suggestions, lol???

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not live in the Jacksonville area but I was in the FL quite often when I was in the Olympic circuit. I spent several months in Baldwin and Ocala for work several years back so somewhat familiar with the area.
It appears with the exception of BJJ you have spent your time in Korean arts. In terms of lineage and tradition I would say they are probably the hardest to follow past two or three generations from a current instructor. The debate is still going on as to how/when it was even established and by who.
I fully agree that it has more to do with the specific school & instructor versus a style/brand (ATA).
I would think a Japanese/Okinawan style would be your best bet to really get into the historical side of things. Again, this has a Lot to do with the instructor/school.
I have heard of Jerry Williamson but really do not know anything about the program. I have worked out at the Ludas gym and it is a pretty sweet location but nothing about it is what I would call 'traditional'.
As far as your current shape, do not be too concerned. It sounds like you already know consistency is the biggest key.
I still suggest you sample several schools and see what resonates. Once you start the journey, time is your ally.

OP
WhiteBeltNoStripe

WhiteBeltNoStripe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do not live in the Jacksonville area but I was in the FL quite often when I was in the Olympic circuit. I spent several months in Baldwin and Ocala for work several years back so somewhat familiar with the area.
It appears with the exception of BJJ you have spent your time in Korean arts. In terms of lineage and tradition I would say they are probably the hardest to follow past two or three generations from a current instructor. The debate is still going on as to how/when it was even established and by who.
I fully agree that it has more to do with the specific school & instructor versus a style/brand (ATA).
I would think a Japanese/Okinawan style would be your best bet to really get into the historical side of things. Again, this has a Lot to do with the instructor/school.
I have heard of Jerry Williamson but really do not know anything about the program. I have worked out at the Ludas gym and it is a pretty sweet location but nothing about it is what I would call 'traditional'.
As far as your current shape, do not be too concerned. It sounds like you already know consistency is the biggest key.
I still suggest you sample several schools and see what resonates. Once you start the journey, time is your ally.

It’s unfortunate I’m being relocated as I finally found a great school where I live teaching traditional Uechi-Ryu Karate with an amazing instructor and school. I didn’t even get to start due to complications with COVID.
After much research I’ve found some schools I will check out when I arrive in Jacksonville. One of the schools I’m interested in is a Tang Soon Do school, which I’ll probably check out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk