kayaking canoeing and such

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last year Erica and I did a good deal of canoeing and camping and had a blast. Last night we decided to buy a couple of kayaks so that we'd have access to some of the more exciting stretches of water in the state. There is a section of class III rapids on the New River that I'm just itching to hit. Anyone else on the board do kayaking or other water sports?
I think Erica is borderline pyromaniac...every time we go camping she insists on starting the camp fire with something besides a match. Last year she used a magnesium fire starter all summer. It worked very well. This year I've challenged her to use the old bow and drill method. I'll let you know how it goes. As for me, I think there is no better coffee in the world than that brewed in my camp pot over an open fire.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My family and I love camping the whole being one with nature is indeed fresh to the human mind and body.
Terry

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a Mad River Mississiquoi Canoe ... about 15 years old. Its a great small boat. Tons of freeboard capacity. I use it primarily as a fishing platform.

Several years back, we bought two Dagger Blackwater recreational kayaks. They are a ton of fun. We use them mostly on flat water. We have learned since purchasing them, that they are very big; huge cockpits, wide entries. They too can carry tons of gear.

If you get recreational kayaks like these, do not attempt to run a class III rapid. The one time we tried to get by a Class III, Sheryl did fine - mostly out of luck. I managed to get my boat stuck in a hydrolic. It took two grown men to pull the boat off the rock where it was pinned. I was sore for days.

Simply put, it was a very bad idea to attempt that short rapid. I'm lucky I didn't destroy my kayak.

Our newest adventure is to build our own kayaks. We have two Pygmy Arctic Tern 14s in the basement, soon to be assembled. It looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully, we'll be able to get them on the water by the time the leaves turn here in New Hampshire.

http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/arctic_tern_14.asp

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do a google on the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. For many years, I guided groups into this wilderness area. The only way to get around is by canoeing and portaging. I would say that this is as much a part of my life as martial arts. Right now, because my kids are young, I'm more focused on the martial arts. Its something I can do close to home. As they get older, I'll balance things out more.

Right now, I'm planning and saving money for my dream trip. I want to paddle from God's Lake to Hudson Bay by going down the God's river. After that, who knows? Maybe I'll do the McKenzie River from Great Bear Lake. I've heard that Arctic Char are mighty tasty over an open fire...

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both of us are relatively new at the canoeing/kayaking deal. Last year was the first year for us doing a float/camping trip. We took a 17 foot Mohawk canoe 40 miles down the James here in Va. We split the difference and camped at the mid-way point on an island. We learned a few lessons along the way. Biggest one was DON'T forget the sun block. We finished that trip with me having second degree burns on my legs. I took a t-shirt, dipped it in the water and laid it across Ericas legs to save her the pain. We did manage to broach at one point from paddling in a low light situation but got underway again without too much trouble. This year we'll be using kayaks for the next leg of the trip. 12 foot Victory with a good deal of stowage area. We put them in on a local piece of flat water yesterday to test them (and us) out. We also have access to a great guide service here that will give all the classes we need for wet exits, roll recovery and the like. We may have to rent a couple of smaller ones to hit the class III that I wanted to hit but we'll see. The stretch of the James that I want to hit is from Buchanan to Natural Bridge Station this year. We'll do it solo first then invite a couple of friends along. Anyone who gets into the Roanoke Va area and wants to hit the water for the week end just give me a PM and I'd be happy to meet you.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My idea of camping is the Holiday Inn and I am terrified of moving water...rapids, waterfalls, etc..scares the hell out of me. I did go tubing once...lol...that was fun. I'm glad you and your wife have found something you both enjoy so much. :asian:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I have a Mad River Mississiquoi Canoe ... about 15 years old. Its a great small boat. Tons of freeboard capacity. I use it primarily as a fishing platform.

Several years back, we bought two Dagger Blackwater recreational kayaks. They are a ton of fun. We use them mostly on flat water. We have learned since purchasing them, that they are very big; huge cockpits, wide entries. They too can carry tons of gear.

If you get recreational kayaks like these, do not attempt to run a class III rapid. The one time we tried to get by a Class III, Sheryl did fine - mostly out of luck. I managed to get my boat stuck in a hydrolic. It took two grown men to pull the boat off the rock where it was pinned. I was sore for days.

Simply put, it was a very bad idea to attempt that short rapid. I'm lucky I didn't destroy my kayak.

Our newest adventure is to build our own kayaks. We have two Pygmy Arctic Tern 14s in the basement, soon to be assembled. It looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully, we'll be able to get them on the water by the time the leaves turn here in New Hampshire.

http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/arctic_tern_14.asp

Michael, next time you hit your favorite trout lake with our boat, give this a try...

Get some rod holders and some sink tip line and tie on a long leader. Make a long cast and let it sit, put the rod in the holder and paddle REALLY slowly. Make some slow and wide turns. If you are just creeping along, your flies will get fairly deep. I've caught some nice fish this way in some of the trout lakes in the BWCA...including Lake Trout...which is an odd fish to catch on a fly rod.

I know the thought of trolling with a fly rod is anathema to many, but I swear by it.