Karate vs TKD

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Okay so as far as I know neither of these guys are grand masters. I don't know how much they train but I have no reason to suspect that they are anything other than average examples of their arts.

My question is what do you think about their sparring?

How do you rate their tactics and techniques?

What do you think either should have done differently?

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Karate is a Japanese martial art form, while Taekwondo originated in Korea. In Karate Strong punches, kicks, takedowns, and blocks are done. The main feature of Taekwondo is effective kicking. it is one of the faster martial arts.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Their techniques lack power, their hands aren't protecting their upper body, they're over-dependent on kicking, and their foundation is laughable. The way they're fighting is going to lead to a fist in the face or an easy takedown by a grappler. Sparring like that can lead to serious problems when they really need to use their techniques. I understand when you're sparring for fun or practice, but sparring in that fashion simply leads to very bad habits.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Karate is a Japanese martial art form, while Taekwondo originated in Korea. In Karate Strong punches, kicks, takedowns, and blocks are done. The main feature of Taekwondo is effective kicking. it is one of the faster martial arts.

If your only exposure to taekwon-do is seeing something called taekwondo on telly during the Olympics (and reading a few blog snippets) then I can see why you think that...

If you really want to tell people what something is and what it focuses on, I would suggest finding out yourself first.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Okay so as far as I know neither of these guys are grand masters. I don't know how much they train but I have no reason to suspect that they are anything other than average examples of their arts.

White is more rooted and powerful, black is quicker. If it were a point fight black wins.

Knockdown fight, white wins.

Ring/cage fight, it goes the distance.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I saw so little use of the hands that it was difficult to tell who was the Shotokan person. It was a little sloppy on both sides. The first video with the gentleman in black, he has good, fast kicks and his defensive posture is very good. I assume sparring without gear was part of the reason for the lack of contact.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think whenever you're sparring, you're playing a game, and it's hard to judge the tactics of the game without knowing what game they're playing, what the rules are, and what their goal is.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Their techniques lack power, their hands aren't protecting their upper body, they're over-dependent on kicking, and their foundation is laughable. The way they're fighting is going to lead to a fist in the face or an easy takedown by a grappler. Sparring like that can lead to serious problems when they really need to use their techniques. I understand when you're sparring for fun or practice, but sparring in that fashion simply leads to very bad habits.
Easy to judge sitting on a computer,.,how about you upload a few videos of yourself before critisising other people

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Easy to judge sitting on a computer,.,how about you upload a few videos of yourself before critisising other people
He only answered the question asked, no need to throw down any gauntlets.

The question is as much about the perspective of the person answering as the subjects in the video.

Last edited:
OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I don't think they are supposed to be putting in power as it's clearly a friendly glove free sparring session.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Well, they're both Black Belts. Black gi is TKD and White gi is Shotokan. White gi is kicking TKD's butt with counters. Light sparring. Their hands don't look very good, but it's only a short video, so inconclusive. White gi is more experienced, and you can tell before the fighting starts (almost anyway) by how many wash cycles his black belt has been through compared to blue gi's black belt, looking brand new.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
White gi is more experienced, and you can tell before the fighting starts (almost anyway) by how many wash cycles his black belt has been through compared to blue gi's black belt, looking brand new.

Tangent warning: how tattered your belt is really should never be used to judge experience or skill. How well a belt ages is extremely variable depending on materials and construction. Also, if your style provides a new belt at each dan rank, your belt is going to look nice and clean the day after your second degree black belt test.

And that's before you get into the issue of some Shotokan folks deliberately fraying their belts (I don't think this guy is one of them, but they do exist).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Their techniques lack power, their hands aren't protecting their upper body, they're over-dependent on kicking, and their foundation is laughable. The way they're fighting is going to lead to a fist in the face or an easy takedown by a grappler. Sparring like that can lead to serious problems when they really need to use their techniques. I understand when you're sparring for fun or practice, but spa in that fashion simply leads to very bad habits.
translation,,,, its not mma, so everything they do is therefore rubbish

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
translation,,,, its not mma, so everything they do is therefore rubbish

Well there's always one isn't there ;p

Mma has changed over time and it will continue to do so.

Eventually the dogmatic rules that boxing brought with it on its way in to mma will be gotten over as people realise that there is more than one way to fight.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Getting back to the original post, I thought they both looked just fine. Obviously this is friendly technical sparring, not full contact competition. The TKD guy was a bit too predictable and needs to mix it up more. Also, you can tell his guard is from a style that doesn't include head punches.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Correction, Karate is an Okinawan Martial Art Form that originated in Okinawa, and was simplified and dumbed down (in many but not every karate ryu-ha) style that was exported to the Japanese mainland and in the time after that export, has remained dumbed down.

However, the world's most widely adopted variety of karate would be Shotokan... which after Gichin Funakoshi passed away... became the most prevalent. Shotokan Karate is Japanese karate.
This helps lend to the misunderstanding that Karate is Japanese.

When karate was being developed, way back... Okinawa still had a king, and was treated as a vassal state by both China... and Japan.

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eventually the dogmatic rules that boxing brought with it on its way in to mma will be gotten over as people realise that there is more than one way to fight.

I think we are there already. Within competitive MMA, there are vastly different successful styles of fighting already happening.

What ways to fight are not already there that would be attained by shucking said 'dogmatic rules'?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tangent warning: how tattered your belt is really should never be used to judge experience or skill. How well a belt ages is extremely variable depending on materials and construction. Also, if your style provides a new belt at each dan rank, your belt is going to look nice and clean the day after your second degree black belt test.

And that's before you get into the issue of some Shotokan folks deliberately fraying their belts (I don't think this guy is one of them, but they do exist).

Well yeah, it's an indicator....so I never said it was conclusive science by itself or something? We have plenty of passed down belts in BJJ, but usually browns. What are we, in court/under oath or sparring to the death or something? Pick the wrong guy and you die? Like in Indiana Jones 3 where the dude chose the wrong goblet and zaaaaaaaaap!

And in this case, I was right....the tattered belt guy was kicking ***.

Latest Discussions