Karate Class Choices

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
However in the Wado-Ryu class they have in my view some class rules and protocols that just seem weird to me. One is that your "obi is the essence of your training" and should never be washed and not ever touch the floor.

Speaking as a Wado-ka... That sounds weird to me also!

Another thing is that they have a belt tying ceremony in which you kneel down and do several stations where you do various stages of tying the belt!

Also odd!

Despite its Koryu ancestry, Wado-ryu is a gendai art. It just seems that some school try over hard to make themselves appear more traditional and Japanese.

That said, if you can get past that and the Wado is good (as you say they are from the late Suzuki Sensei's WIKF) then it is a great system IMO.

The only thing I don't like about the WIKF is when they demo Tachi-dori or "sword taking" - again perhaps trying too hard.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's my take from the perspective of a long time martial artist in the area ...

I've heard good things about Mr. Kristensen's Isshin ryu karate, but have heard a few disparaging things about his desire to seek out accolades. I've never met him personally, so please bear that in mind that this is strictly second hand. Thought it was worth passing on though.

I've heard good things from knowledgeable folks about the quality of training at the Plano Classical karate dojo, but again I've never met any of the instructors personally.

Eastside dojo (formerly Dallas Judo before moving to Plano) has a really good reputation. Dallas Judo has had a reputation for excellent judo for a number of years.

I don't know how interested you might be in it, but you might also consider Aikido. Sydney Shiba at Plano Aikido is a good guy with great Aikido skills.

OP
R

RobBnTX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've heard good things about Mr. Kristensen's Isshin ryu karate, but have heard a few disparaging things about his desire to seek out accolades. I've never met him personally, so please bear that in mind that this is strictly second hand. Thought it was worth passing on though.
Well you would not be the first person to tell me this. I do have a lot of respect for the instructors that I have met from this school that teach here in the Plano dojo.

I don't know how interested you might be in it, but you might also consider Aikido. Sydney Shiba at Plano Aikido is a good guy with great Aikido skills
Funny you should mention this, I just came across their Website a couple of days ago and it did perk my interest.

I do want to take a trial class at Eastside dojo before I make any final decision but I am fairly sure of what I am going to do. I will expand on that when I get more time, right now I am really rushed.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Robert

OP
R

RobBnTX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I want to back up a little on my remarks above about Soke Kristensen. While it is true I have heard similar remarks about Soke Kristensen from two different martial arts instructors in two different conversations when discussing martial arts and martial artists in this area please note that both of these gentlemen also said they thought he was a very good martial artist and I have no doubt he is. I know his instructors that I have met speak very highly of him. I have also never met the man personally but hope to someday.

Last edited:
OP
R

RobBnTX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well just in case anyone is still interested, I delayed making a final decision while I focused on other areas of my life but finally did sign up with a Shotokan dojo here in Plano that I am enjoying very much and the instructors are really great! It is the Texas Association of Shotokan Karate located here in Plano under Renshi Lee McCurrach and Sensei Matthew Schampers. Renshi McCurrach is from Great Britain and studied under both SKIF and KUGB instructors but says his Karate comes from Shiro Asano of the SKIF and and while we are not SKIF he teaches the SKIF syllabus. The dojo also offers a Kobudo class that is seperate from the regular Karate classes. I am very happy to have discovered this dojo and look forward to all the hard work and sweat I will put in here.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renshi McCurrach is from Great Britain

Cool that you found yourself a good place to train! Do you know who he used to train under or where he trained in the UK at all?

OP
R

RobBnTX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Cool that you found yourself a good place to train! Do you know who he used to train under or where he trained in the UK at all?
I know that he trained under Ken Davies of the SKIF. As I have only had brief( but very interesting)conversations with him so far all I can tell you that he is Scottish and that he also holds a black belt in Hapkido. I do not know anything about the lineage of Sensei Matthew Schampers, except he also trained in Wado Ryu when he was very young, but I am really impressed with his skill and technique, especially in kata.

Last edited:
OP
R

RobBnTX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Now that I have found a good dojo maybe I should humble myself and concentrate on my training and not so much Internet forums. I don't mean to be rude but I probably will not be posting all that often but I really do appreciate all the helpful input on this thread however my inner voice is saying it is now time to just go train! ;)

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rest and recovery is just as important as training. I'm pretty sure no one here is staying home from the dojo so they can post here more. Posting is just something to keep us occupied between training sessions:)

Latest Discussions