Kajukenbo Trademark

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Posted for public notice at the United States Patent & Trademark Office:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=4002:7molbd.2.1

I'm definitely not advising ANYTHING one way or another. That said, there is a time period and a certain manner in which to oppose a trademark application. Or one can not oppose.

In case the link isn't active anymore, just go to:

www.uspto.gov
Under the Trademark column, select "Search marks";
then select "Word and/or Design Mark Search (Free Form)";
then type the word "kajukenbo" in the Search Term box;
then click "Submit Query";
then click on "Kajukenbo K.S.D.I. Emperado Method".​
If you want more information or want to know the current status of the application, just click the "TARR Status" button right above the Kaju crest.

Last edited:

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Posted for public notice at the United States Patent & Trademark Office:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=4002:7molbd.2.1

I'm definitely not advising ANYTHING one way or another. That said, there is a time period and a certain manner in which to oppose a trademark application. Or one can not oppose.

In case the link isn't active anymore, just go to:

www.uspto.gov
Under the Trademark column, select "Search marks";
then select "Word and/or Design Mark Search (Free Form)";
then type the word "kajukenbo" in the Search Term box;
then click "Submit Query";
then click on "Kajukenbo K.S.D.I. Emperado Method".
If you want more information or want to know the current status of the application, just click the "TARR Status" button right above the Kaju crest.

Here's what you find:

Thank you for your request. Here are the latest results from the TARR web server.
This page was generated by the TARR system on 2010-12-04 18:45:08 ET

Serial Number: 85128654 Assignment Information Trademark Document Retrieval

Registration Number: (NOT AVAILABLE)

Mark
spacer.gif

(words only): KAJUKENBO K.S.D.I. EMPERADO METHOD

Standard Character claim: No

Current Status: Newly filed application, not yet assigned to an examining attorney.

Date of Status: 2010-09-16

Filing Date: 2010-09-13

Filed as TEAS Plus Application: Yes

Currently TEAS Plus Application: Yes

Transformed into a National Application: No

Registration Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

Register: Principal

Law Office Assigned: (NOT AVAILABLE)

If you are the applicant or applicant's attorney and have questions about this file, please contact the Trademark Assistance Center at [email protected]

Current Location: 042 -New Application Processing

Date In Location: 2010-09-16

LAST APPLICANT(S)/OWNER(S) OF RECORD1. Dechi Emperado Sheetz

Address:
Dechi Emperado Sheetz
10878 Calle Verde,, Apt 231
La Mesa, CA 91941
United States
Legal Entity Type: Individual
Country of Citizenship: United States
Phone Number: 404-408-0690

GOODS AND/OR SERVICES International Class: 045
Class Status: Active
Providing information in the field of self-defense; Providing information in the field of self-improvement
Basis: 1(a)
First Use Date: 1965-06-01
First Use in Commerce Date: 1965-06-01

ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONColor(s) Claimed: Color is not claimed as a feature of the mark.

Description of Mark: The mark consists of Logo for Kajukenbo style of self defense.

Design Search Code(s):
05.03.06 - Clover, three-leaf; Clubs, trefoil on playing card; Shamrocks (trefoil)
05.15.02 - Laurel leaves or branches (borders or frames); Wreaths
24.17.18 - Yin-Yang symbol
28.01.03 - Asian characters; Chinese characters; Japanese characters

MADRID PROTOCOL INFORMATION(NOT AVAILABLE)

PROSECUTION HISTORY NOTE: To view any document referenced below, click on the link to "Trademark Document Retrieval" shown near the top of this page.

2010-09-18 - Notice Of Design Search Code Mailed

2010-09-17 - New Application Office Supplied Data Entered In Tram

2010-09-16 - New Application Entered In Tram

ATTORNEY/CORRESPONDENT INFORMATIONCorrespondent
DECHI EMPERADO SHEETZ
10878 CALLE VERDE APT 231
LA MESA, CA 91941-8508
Phone Number: 404-408-0690

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, they trademarked their logo. Big deal. Or am I missing something here?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, they trademarked their logo. Big deal. Or am I missing something here?

I think the point is that it's only one person, i.e., Dechi, that is filing the trademark request for the logo that we all use (which was designed by Al Dacascos if I'm not mistaken). "They" are not trademarking it, she is.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What legal right does Dechi have to do this? Note: I got no clue on who is who in Kaj.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the way i understand it, as long as it isnt trademarked, ANYONE can trademark a logo. Gene Simmons trademarked the image of a bag with a dollar sign on it, and that has been around for a LONG time...

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kajukenbo coat of arms was created in 1965 by Al Dacascos. It was adopted by the Kajukenbo Association of America in 1968. And later adopted by the International Kajukenbo Association. It has been in common use in Kajukenbo for 45 years.
Ownership and the creation of the logo is documented and can be proven. But even if someone else were able to trademark the logo, it's really a non-issue. There are 100 or more variations of the Kajukenbo Coat of Arms and the clover logo.

patches.jpg

WuChi0

White Belt
Reaction score
Noticed last action dated 30 June 2011, with United States Patent & Trademark Office. Can someone interprete in simple language what it all means?

OP
Wo Fat

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Noticed last action dated 30 June 2011, with United States Patent & Trademark Office. Can someone interprete in simple language what it all means?

It means that Ms. Emperado-Sheetz declared that she was the owner of the Kajukenbo crest. She applied for a trademark registration, hoping that the federal government would basically say that she is the legal owner of the design and that no one may use it in business unless she authorizes it.

From time to time, the U.S. Trademark office will send letters--called "Office Actions"--telling Ms. Emperado-Sheetz that she needs to fix this or answer that question, etc. At one time, the Trademark office told her that the Kaju crest design that she submitted looked a little inconsistent at times. And to please send them a proper specimen. They also told her that on one occasion she signed a document as the owner, and on another document someone else signed as the owner. It looks like she cleared up that clerical problem.

What this all means is that she is declaring to all, that she is the rightful owner of the Kajukenbo crest design. And right now, it appears that no one is opposing it. Could someone oppose her application? Sure. Should someone oppose her application? I'm too low on the Kaju food chain to answer that.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm much more concerned with maintaining the training aspects and quality of the art, then the logo. Plus, GM Dechi is the administrator of her late brothers association, which many of us have been members of for decades.
And even if we weren't, there's no way she could trademark all the variations of the logo that already exist. We face more important challenges in the future then who owns a logo.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
unless she wants royalties from anyone that uses it

that would be something that would need to be addressed.

OP
Wo Fat

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Prof. Bishop:

I agree that focusing on quality and training is more important. At the same time, from professional experience I know that people (and businesses) don't usually spend the time or money to file for federal trademark rights unless they plan to enforce their rights and conduct business accordingly. I'm not saying that these are GM Dechi's intentions. Just looking at this from a trademark enforcement position (as well as someone who could be liable for trademark infringement should her application be granted).

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Prof. Bishop:

I agree that focusing on quality and training is more important. At the same time, from professional experience I know that people (and businesses) don't usually spend the time or money to file for federal trademark rights unless they plan to enforce their rights and conduct business accordingly. I'm not saying that these are GM Dechi's intentions. Just looking at this from a trademark enforcement position (as well as someone who could be liable for trademark infringement should her application be granted).

I know Dechi personally. I've got the feeling she's just trying to protect her brothers legacy. I can't believe how many people claim the Kajukenbo banner, who only have a distant lineage connection with no actual knowledge of Kajukenbo. But I'll talk to her about it when I see her saturday.
But my main point is, if you can't wear the logo exactly as it is trademarked by Dechi, so what? What about your Kajukenbo other then your patch or screen print is going to change? Kajukenbo's a system and family of practitioners, not a logo.

OP
Wo Fat

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know Dechi personally. I've got the feeling she's just trying to protect her brothers legacy. I can't believe how many people claim the Kajukenbo banner, who only have a distant lineage connection with no actual knowledge of Kajukenbo. But I'll talk to her about it when I see her saturday.
But my main point is, if you can't wear the logo exactly as it is trademarked by Dechi, so what? What about your Kajukenbo other then your patch or screen print is going to change? Kajukenbo's a system and family of practitioners, not a logo.

Again I agree. There are countless different logo's and patches among the Kaju ohana. And maybe it's just as you say: GM Dechi simply wants to preserve Sijo's legacy.

Latest Discussions