Just...how....why?

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is exactly my point. I am going to assume that you either think the no-touch stuff is bunk or at least not valid enough to train, yet someone you respect and would train with advocates them. You are trained enough to know bunk when you see it. Without good control systems people who don't have a good bunk detector might get swept up with someone like Leon Jay and think that everything he teaches is bible even the bunk. If Leon Jay had proper control systems he would not be advocating no-touch, unless he is just doing it for money, fame, etc.

Jason
I believe we are pretty close in our view points, but what I was trying to express in my previous post was that there are things in the martial arts that are beyond my skill and understanding. While I don't concentrate on PPs nor No Touch Knock Outs, it doesn't mean that I don't consider or accept that they exist. Rather I choose not to study that subject matter. However the very fact that after seeing Leon Jay's skill level and a brief glimpse of his teaching style, knowing that he did or believed in No Touch Knockouts would not meen that I would not study at his school. I wouldn't throw out his whole system because he did this, nor could I say he doesn't have proper control systems etc. etc. because I'm not studying at his school and have no clue what his control systems are.

Just because I can't explain something and I choose not to train in it doesn't mean that it is bunk.

Sadly, they were not faking (at least I am strongly under the belief that they were not). This is a real school in Japan. I have seen many demos with this crap and other videos that were definitely meant to represent such. For some strange reason this "teachers" either won't demo on you (to protect you from being hurt) or can't make it work that time (for any number of BS reasons).

Martial Arts in my opinion is more importantly about (even before self defense applications) honesty/integrity. People who do these things are either outright deceiving people or have deceived themselves. If I am wrong I want to be proven wrong about this cause in 30 years, traveling all around, I have yet to see anyone do these kinds of things.

I don't know about this school, or the instructor's instructions to them (the students) after he demonstrated his Chi. I mean heck the art director of the video could have said OK when master/sifu whatever uses his Chi and knocks you away, it would look real cool if you would run and climb up the wall. So they do. Laughing all of the way. I don't know, nobody knows, only those at the video shoot.

In regards to the bolded comment. I disagree, the martial arts were developed for self defense and the whole attitude/character development etc. etc. were grafted onto it. There is nothing honest or having integrity in regards to warfare, as in if you need to survive an encounter. If bringing a gun to knife fight helps me to survive and provide for my family than I will. However through training I might come to change my attitude, my character, my outlook on life etc. etc. etc. but for me it is still first and foremost in my mind about self preservation.

In regards to the two Italics comments. Here too I disagree. In my 30 years of training I have seen people do things I can't explain, which I have posted in other threads on MT. I even volunteered for one. I've seen good martial artists volunteer to take part of these types of things and spoke with them afterwards about it. Now for clarification let me explain.

1) There are those acts which appear to be magical/unexplainable/fanciful which can be explained through physical terms but which often aren't, because the instructor might not know why they work because they just do it and for ease of explanation they might say it is because of Chi or KI. Or it could be too that they are dishonest, or it culd be because they really believe it. I'll use early Aikido, Aikijutsu, being demonstrated by high level practitioners as an example. Or the video like you posted.

The video showed the guy withstanding a line or people pushing on him and then his Chi repels them. This same trick was promoted on stage by various men and women during the vaudeville/strong man acts era. Aikido had the same thing, along with the unbend able arm etc. etc. I was just watching a DVD where the instructor was talking about how a high level aikido-ka use to close the gap and kia as the attacker was stepping in and the attacker would fall to the floor; this isn't Chi/Ki it is timing and other playing a game with the mind principles to make the throw happen.

Again watching live at seminars and on DVD high level mastery of the body in an art it often times appears magical; like negative blocking, or invisible blocking, soft blocking and throwing people etc. etc. in arts like aikijutsu especially when you do karate (like I do). My wife watches it and says it's BS, having seen it live I see it as a high skill level. But still explainable and attainable.

2) Those that appear to work for no explanation other than the metaphysical. This is where the No Touch Knock Outs come in, or drawing energy away from someone. These type of techniques and applications are far fewer but often lumped in the larger number of techniques found in example 1.

In closing, take something like invisible blocking. A punches at B and B waves his hand in front of his face and A redirects his punch thus missing B without B touching him. At full speed with a committed punch it looks magical, a jedi mind trick even. However it is a skill that can be learned. While it is not something that I would want (trust) to use in self defense application, it is these types of things (higher skill sets) that keep a person training over 30 years in the art. Likewise I was shown a counter to a S type wrist lock, took me 2 minutes to learn and 11 years later I still can't get an explanation as to why it works but it does. This is for me a technique that falls into example 2 above, a no touch counter to having a S wrist lock applied. I've even done this as a counter to a S lock being applied with the butt of a stick (in my FMA training).

To someone who hasn't seen nor understands the technique it can appear to be BS, or it can appear to be magic. I believe we need to keep an open mind.

However, my OP wasn't really about these people as much as it was about being careful not to let yourself get deceived over the long haul of training and the ways people ensure that perspective.

Jason Brinn

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
However, my OP wasn't really about these people as much as it was about being careful not to let yourself get deceived over the long haul of training and the ways people ensure that perspective.

Jason Brinn

Sorry I forgot to address this on my last post.

See here is where I believe we both agree, I too take very seriously about not getting deceived over the long haul of my training. I'm with you. I think you kind of take a much narrower view point of what is bunk than I do, but I get your point.

However over the past year or so I have taken a much wider view of how things fit into what I practice. There are those things that I would use for self defense and those things that help me grow in the martial arts to help me understand things better. I separate them out and in time through training they might merge from one to the other, but I'm trying not to take as hard of a line as I use to.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You only look foolish if you are concerned with what others think of you. Do you dress in the latest fashion so no one thinks you're foolish? Did you buy your last vehicle, or decorate your house based on what others think of you, or based on what you liked and thought appropriate? It is very easy to buy a cheap pair of shoes that can cause serious foot problems, but that is covered by the phrase 'caveat emptor'. However, so many people think that martial arts should not be treated the same as anything else that is available in our consumer driven world.

As for being hurt, unless a person works as a LEO or in personal security, their odds of ever having to use anything they've learned in the dojo is incredibly small. I feel that it is much more likely that they'll have permanent foot problems from a cheap pair of shoes than that they'll get hurt from poor martial arts training.

Some people just don't like the idea that something that they consider foolish might be applied to them by unknowing people. However, we're all thought foolish at some point (some of us more than others :) ), and it really does no permanent damage. I much prefer to avoid all of the piling on that occurs when people discuss the corner McDojo, and just get on with what actually does affect me.

Just my thought on it.

I do believe there is a difference with not concerning yourself with what others think and doing something completely irresponsible.
I agree that most students of MA won't see serious confrontations if they live ethical lives and have low risk jobs, but you never really know. You could be the salesman at sears and get the one irate screaming customer who is off his mess. Or be the accountant sitting next to the woman who tried to leave her husband and see him come storming in. I think of SD skills like car insurance. You hope you never get into an accident but you try to get the best coverage you can. Martial arts teachers that teach no touch knockouts or rely on mystical type teachings remind me of shady insurance salesman.
These types of people bother me because I get lumped in with them by people who don't know better. If they didn't do those types of practices I wouldn't have to explain to people why what someone like ashida Kim says is nonsense and not representative of what I do.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
These types of people bother me because I get lumped in with them by people who don't know better. If they didn't do those types of practices I wouldn't have to explain to people why what someone like ashida Kim says is nonsense and not representative of what I do.
I understand that, I'm just saying that I don't agree with it. The only thoughts of martial arts that most people have come from movies or the occassional (usually bad) youtube video. I have had uncounted people over the years ask me the most ridiculous questions about martial arts. Mostly, I just smile and say "not so much". Some people are genuinely interested and I'll explain more, but it's just not worth the effort to try and explain the differences to those that don't practice the arts, and it's unnecessary to explain the differences to those that do. Therefore, I have found it best to pretty much ignore the charlatans, and let them do their own thing. Somebody must be enjoying it since they always seem to have students willing to give them money.

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That was almost like watching a bad Kung Fu type of movie that they would run marathons on late at night with bad English over-dubbed voices.

Latest Discussions