Just because you are not paranoid....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
does not mean they aren't spying on you:
http://todaynews.today.com/_news/20...-webcam-hackers-can-spy-on-you-in-secret?lite

(I am thinking it's amateurish to send somebody a trojan horse though. Thoughts?)

A while back there was an outcry about a national rental chain having a look-see through their customer's webcams....I mean, I can see the kill switch they installed, so they can turn off the product upon non-payment....but the article claimed they were actually activating the cameras....so the above article does not surprise me - sadly!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Someone in the government has a collection of O faces on the wall, A Beautiful Mind style.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
does not mean they aren't spying on you:
http://todaynews.today.com/_news/20...-webcam-hackers-can-spy-on-you-in-secret?lite

(I am thinking it's amateurish to send somebody a trojan horse though. Thoughts?)

A while back there was an outcry about a national rental chain having a look-see through their customer's webcams....I mean, I can see the kill switch they installed, so they can turn off the product upon non-payment....but the article claimed they were actually activating the cameras....so the above article does not surprise me - sadly!

All webcams on laptops come enabled but not on so they are easy to turn on. my recommendation, disable them. But if you do not have the proper security on your PC/Laptop/network you're hacked already so don't worry about it and put a piece of tape over the camera. Now the whole iPad/iPhone Camera thing is different and to be honest that one has me worried.

And with the whole Near Field Communication thing coming on…and the ever expanding role of the smart phone in our lives….. NFC can hurt you

Mobile Devices in the Enterprise
New capabilities, such as NFC (Near Field Communication), will be on the rise in 2013 and will increase the opportunities for cyber criminals to exploit weaknesses. NFC allows for smartphones to communicate with each other by simply touching another smart phone, or being in close proximity to another smart phone with NFC capabilities or an NFC device. This technology is being used for credit card purchases and advertisements in airports and magazines, and will most likely be incorporated into other uses in 2013. Risks with using NFC include eavesdropping—through which the cyber criminal can intercept data transmission, such as credit card numbers—and transferring viruses or other malware from one NFC-enabled device to another.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
All webcams on laptops come enabled but not on so they are easy to turn on. my recommendation, disable them. But if you do not have the proper security on your PC/Laptop/network you're hacked already so don't worry about it and put a piece of tape over the camera. Now the whole iPad/iPhone Camera thing is different and to be honest that one has me worried.

And with the whole Near Field Communication thing coming on…and the ever expanding role of the smart phone in our lives….. NFC can hurt you

ah goody!

not enough that we now have card scanners that can steal your CC info without ever knowing which pocket you keep it in...now this, awesome!

Orwell had it right, just a few decades too early.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are reports of hacking wireless security cameras as well. Not so worrysome perhaps for perimeter cameras, but how about those inside a house.

Wireless use of internet or NFC (which from your description is apparently also wifeless) is more dangerours than you can imagine. There are devices which extend the range where someone can read your devices to distances you would not believe. One more reason I carry the dumbest phone I can get.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are reports of hacking wireless security cameras as well. Not so worrysome perhaps for perimeter cameras, but how about those inside a house.

Wireless use of internet or NFC (which from your description is apparently also wifeless) is more dangerours than you can imagine. There are devices which extend the range where someone can read your devices to distances you would not believe. One more reason I carry the dumbest phone I can get.

I agree! Smartphones are interesting toys, but the technology is very new and expanding exponentially, while the security is creeping. I know people that are extremely paranoid about antivirus and firewalls on their computers, but never stop to think that their smartphone is just that, a computer with camera that is portable. I refuse to have one myself. I can get on the computer (with all of its safeguards!) if I want to use the internet.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I make it a point to wave my junk around in front of my webcam frequently while it's "off". That ought to convince any hacker to turn it back off again, pronto. :rofl:

Latest Discussions