Jun Fan Wooden Dummy sets

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have posted this in the JKD section as well, but I would like a Wing Chun practitioners opinion on the Jun Fan Wooden Dummy Sets. Do you feel they are closely related enough or do you feel that they two completely different animals? Just want to discuss. Thanks

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you post some videos of Jun Fan Mook Jong Sets?

I have not studied JKD really except for what I read from some of Jun Fans books. But I would gather they should be close...Since JKD is based off Wing Chun structure and hands along with steps and footwork of boxing and fencing.

I have posted this in the JKD section as well, but I would like a Wing Chun practitioners opinion on the Jun Fan Wooden Dummy Sets. Do you feel they are closely related enough or do you feel that they two completely different animals? Just want to discuss. Thanks

OP
J

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no Video of the JUN FAN JKD Dummy sets of my own. There is a partial video of them on youtube, if you research Ron Balicki's Cold Steel JF/JKD DVD sets you can see some.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you train any JKD dummy sets? Also is there form for the dummy in JKD or is it simply drills???

I have no Video of the JUN FAN JKD Dummy sets of my own. There is a partial video of them on youtube, if you research Ron Balicki's Cold Steel JF/JKD DVD sets you can see some.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I have seen they don't seem to adhere to keeping the spine straight like a Wing Chun man would , but seem to allow leaning in or to the side that would seem to be the major difference that I have seen.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am told that Bruce Lee was never really shown the dummy form properly so it is likely that there will be differences

You have to realise that within wing chun, the dummy form varies greatly.
If you are interested in seeing a good dummy form, watch Ip Chun do it. Even though he is a tiny old man (no insult intended) his energy is amazing

Good luck to you

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am told that Bruce Lee was never really shown the dummy form properly so it is likely that there will be differences

I heard that he never got past SLT. And from reading his books I got an impression he just built himself a dummy becouse he saw it as a very good martial arts tool on which to practice techniques, angling, power and trapping. Don't know for sure tho. Besides Bruce didn't believe in forms anyway, right?

I know Inosant went to learn the WC dummy form from a a WC sifu(I acctualy think it was Ip Chun, but I'm not sure).

Plus if there is a JKD dummy form I would imagine it would be a difrent animal as you put at as BLs expresion of the martial arts was a bit difrent from WCs eventhough he took a few elements from it/saw them useful.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is Ip Ching Performing the beginning of Mook Jong Form

Here is Yip Man performing the entire Mook Jong Form

I am looking for a dummy form in JKD they seem to only have drills!

I doubt if that have a real form. Bruce Lee was big on conditioning. If you watch his book. He dwelled on condition the hands and arms. Making them tougher. So the Mook Jong for him was toughen hands and make your attacks and blocks stronger. To break down the doors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBCYxsB6lY

Eru Ilúvatar;1112160 said:
I heard that he never got past SLT. And from reading his books I got an impression he just built himself a dummy becouse he saw it as a very good martial arts tool on which to practice techniques, angling, power and trapping. Don't know for sure tho. Besides Bruce didn't believe in forms anyway, right?

I know Inosant went to learn the WC dummy form from a a WC sifu(I acctualy think it was Ip Chun, but I'm not sure).

Plus if there is a JKD dummy form I would imagine it would be a difrent animal as you put at as BLs expresion of the martial arts was a bit difrent from WCs eventhough he took a few elements from it/saw them useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do believe that the Jun Fan or JKD sets are from Dan, who probably gathered this info to kind of honor the fact that Bruce wanted this info, Bruce having personally asked Ip (Yip) Man himself for it. I even believe that Ip Man denied Bruce the indulgence of filming it on 8mm while Bruce visited HK. I also believe that the Dummy Bruce made in the States was not the very first Dummy he ever laid his hands on. That aside, the 10 sets taught in Balicki's DVD set are said to be the JKD form based on Inosanto's research. Not exactly what Bruce may have worked or trained, although it gives current JF/JKD practitioners a set of guidelines similar enough to help WC principles which were a part of Jun Fan Gung Fu. I would never argue agaginst the statement that these sets/this form "Is not what Bruce taught or trained", but I do feel them to be usefull. I loved the Clips Yoshiyahu, seen part of Ip Man's before, so cool. The Dummy arm breaking was incredible, snap! LOL. Great. Thanks for all the input all. PEACE JIMI

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone do any WC drills on the dummy. Or do you just do the form for the mook jong?

I do believe that the Jun Fan or JKD sets are from Dan, who probably gathered this info to kind of honor the fact that Bruce wanted this info, Bruce having personally asked Ip (Yip) Man himself for it. I even believe that Ip Man denied Bruce the indulgence of filming it on 8mm while Bruce visited HK. I also believe that the Dummy Bruce made in the States was not the very first Dummy he ever laid his hands on. That aside, the 10 sets taught in Balicki's DVD set are said to be the JKD form based on Inosanto's research. Not exactly what Bruce may have worked or trained, although it gives current JF/JKD practitioners a set of guidelines similar enough to help WC principles which were a part of Jun Fan Gung Fu. I would never argue agaginst the statement that these sets/this form "Is not what Bruce taught or trained", but I do feel them to be usefull. I loved the Clips Yoshiyahu, seen part of Ip Man's before, so cool. The Dummy arm breaking was incredible, snap! LOL. Great. Thanks for all the input all. PEACE JIMI

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There was an interesting article a little while back (I think it was in Martial Arst Illustrated) froma student of Bruce Lee who was also a metal worker and engineer. When Bruce found out what he did for a living he asked him to create various machines and devices to help him train

Latest Discussions