Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Found this on the web. Sadly, the original article at CNN has gone 404. :(

===
Challenge of the Egos -- Jacko @ 2:09 pm
[Judge slams consultant's demand of $100 per hour for jury duty]

A computer software consultant who responded to a jury summons by demanding $100 an hour for his services showed up for duty Monday, after a judge's warning compelled him to lower his rate. Williamson, of San Antonio, was called in to be part of the jury pool for a seven-week trial. He sent the court an invoice for $16,800 for "court-ordered professional services for the entire month of August 2002."
He also warned officials that the bill would start accruing interest if not paid by the end of August.

And then came the topper: "If you would like to meet and discuss this, please have his honor call and schedule an appointment."

I could waste both of our time explaining what a ****bird this guy is, but, the response from U.S. District Judge Fred Biery is much more entertaining:

"The Court is happy to accommodate Mr. Williamson's suggestion for an appointment," Biery's faxed response read. "Mr. Williamson is hereby ordered to appear ... to show cause why he should not be held in contempt of the court and jailed accordingly."

Too bad slapnuts doesn't watch enough Law and Order to know that the only people on earth with larger egos than consultants are judges. It is not a good practice to **** with a man that can throw your *** in jail for looking at him funny.

===

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
During my Divorce, I would disagree with what teh judge would say, in particular after some outrageous lie by my ex and her lawyer.

The Judge once asked me what is wrong. I replied, "With Respect your honor I disagree with your statement and why you made it for it was made upon false assumptions and facts presented to you. Yet, I will do not wish to make you angry, so I kept my voice quiet, until you asked for my opinion. And as I have not lied to you yet and have no plans to lie to you, I am telling you the truth as I know it know."

The Judge smiled and said good answer. In the end, the judge found out she was incorrect in her statements.

I also saw a big time lawyer for a big time corporation try to argue wth some judge. Actually I have seen this more than once, and ten the Judge just replied with a simple request to the Clerk. Will you please fillout a bench warrent for the arrest of this gentlemen on contempt of court unless he has everything I have asked for on my desk before 8:00 AM tomorrow. The delivery must be acomplished by him and not someoen else, in case I wish to ask him questions.

The other judges said similar things.

Now for those that do not mind gettng paid the below minimum wage for Jury Duty, can usually find the local charity for the support of children in the court room. You just sign over the check to them, and the whole $8 can be used somewhere nice.

:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It takes both guts and stupidity to try something like that consultant did! That's a dangerous combination--brave and dumb.

He could probably have gotten out of it for being self-employed.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The difference between bravery and stupidity is that bravery is doing something dangerous in spite of being smart enough to fear it. Stupidity is doing something dangerous and not being smart enough to fear it.