Judge: 2 adoptive dads can be named on birth certificate

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry ya struck out there, pal-better luck next time....:lol:

edit added for 'Caver's edit: yeah, but if she had had gender reassignment surgery, her birth certificate could have been changed years before to reflect her new gender.
Well if THAT was really the case, I'm glad that it didn't work out :lol:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
C'mon, Don, that's just obtuse. I've already pointed out how those things could be changed. You could get a sex change, and the information on your birth certificate would be changed from male to female, and the name (if there was one besides "baby γάιδαρος's αλόγων" :rolleyes: ) would be changed to "Denise," or "Donna," or whichever simply fabulous name you chose to live out your life as a woman.

Sorry, it's a legal document. Doesn't mean it can be changed. Doesn't even mean it reflects FACTS.

γάιδαρος's αλόγων?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I don't know Don's last name, so I made one up. :lol:

Also, birth certificates are often made up without first names, so mine, for example, would simply be for "baby boy Cuffee."

Translation, please. If it's not appropriate for the open forum in English, it's not appropriate in any other language either. Please PM a staff member with translation.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can understand, from a legal point (estates, guardenship of minor children [getting med care for them, taking them out of school, etc]) I can see the need to establish the "parents."

From a factual point knowing your biological past (to be aware of genetic inheritence and possible issues, for example) can be important to some.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The real issue appears to be distaste of gay people adopting children. And maybe gay people in general, I don't know.

One of the reasons why I enjoy the political discussions here on MT is that most of the folks here have informed opinions, regardless of their point of view. Outside in the real world...sadly...this doesn't appear to be the case. There are many Americans that do not know anything about the process of adopting a child in the U.S. However, I'm very disappointed at how there are folks around the country that feel qualified to be judgmental about a process...and that the biggest outcry seems to be from folks that are either ignorant of the adoption process, or are content to feign ignorance of the adoption process because doing so suits their particular political agenda.

An adopted child "wondering where they came from" is an issue that has been around as long as adoption itself. Concerns about genetics, medical history are all valid concerns whether the parents are straight or gay.

All 50 states have resources where an adopted child, upon becoming a legal adult, can work to learn about their past, and perhaps even contact their biological parents. There are also resources where a biological parent can provide information to their offspring should they choose to do so, even if they choose to remain anonymous.

Adoption by definition means that a family is made out of a genetic impossibility.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's interesting, this thread has reminded me that I am an adoptive parent. I know that sounds weird but I don't consider myself an adoptive parent. I rarely think that way. The only time I think of it is when the subject of adoption comes up.

Carol is sooo right about the adoption process. That was probably the most difficult and stressfull thing we have ever been through. Even now, knowing what we had to go through, I would do it again for those two boys.

My 7 year old and 9 year old got a bum rap from their bio dads (they have the same mother, different dads 21 months apart). Their bio mom was way too young at the time and made the same mistake twice.

When the day comes when they want to meet thier bio dads I will be the one that introduces them. That will be the worst day of my life but I will do it for them. They have the right to know their history.

Well, I'm done with my rambling. Just some thoughts from someone who's been there.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Louisiana will appeal birth certificate order

Louisiana officials said Wednesday they plan to appeal a federal judge's order to put the names of two adoptive fathers on the birth certificate of their Louisiana-born son.

p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif

"The District Court has ordered Louisiana to do more than what the Constitution requires, and we will ask a federal court of appeals to correct that mistake," state Health Secretary Alan Levine said.
U.S. District Judge Jay Zainey in New Orleans ordered the state Office of Vital Records last week to put the names of Oren Adar and Mickey Ray Smith, a same-sex couple who adopted a boy born in Shreveport in 2005, on the amended birth certificate that is standard for adoptions.
They now live in San Diego, Calif., but the adoption became formal in April 2006 in New York, where officials decided earlier this month that same-sex couples could list both their names on their children's birth certificates.

So, I was pretty sure there would be an appeal-but the detail that this ruling took place due to another ruling in New York was interesting.....

Seen here

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It affects the child whenever he looks at the birth certificate and sees two MEN as his parents and thinks that they had sex and he was the result.
Even worse, he might see the movie Junior and think it's a documentary. (Hey, you never know if a kid's already that stupid.)

Latest Discussions