ju-jit-su Uniforms.....

twinxsta

White Belt
Reaction score
i'm not sure if this the right place for this post but if it's not i'm sure someone will respond and point me in the right direction....I'm looking to purchase a ju jitsu uniform and i'm just looking for some advice from someone who is experienced with this....i know nothing about karate uniforms......prices...brands...reputable websites...all very appreciated....thanx!!!!!

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, jujitsu & karate uniforms are two different things. karate uniforms are very lightweight & would get torn to shreds after just a couple of jujitsu or judo sessions. judo gis are as durable as jujitsu gis, but fit slightly differently as they have to fit a certain way to be competition legal. generally, they are not as form-fitting as jujitsu gis so that they are easier for your opponent to grip. you can spend anywhere from $25 to hundreds of dollars on a gi.

if you're just looking for a basic, inexpesive gi to get started in, pretty much any brand will do. if you live near a college that offers a judo class, check with the bookstore, they might carry a gi. i recommend single weave over double weave, since doubles are just too damn hot to wear.

as far as the best, that's subjective, but mizuno, koral, & adidas are all respected brands with mid to high level uniforms.

hope this helps,

jf

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And just for clarity, Japanese Jujutsu and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are very different. Since this is in the Japanese MA section, I'm presuming you're looking for something to wear in a more traditional, Japanese Jujutsu school.

I think your best bet is to talk to your instructor. I can almost guarantee that he or she has educated opinions about what would be the best uniform for you, and will put you onto something that will at least get you through til you can make an informed decision about what to try on your own.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some thoughts, 1st the above advice about asking your instructor is the best.
Some points about Jujutsu Gis.

The Gi is not just your, it's your training partner(s) as well.

I dont like tight Gis, thick collored Gis or double or triple weave Gis as they make it much harder to use against your opponent.

This is a great thing at a compitition but IMO a cruddy thing for class, where the goal is to learn.

My $0.02 on it.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have been using Ronin brand Judo Gi's for as long as I can remember in our Ju-Jitsu class(Japanese). Single weave or double either is good, albeit, double is a little warmer.

There is a place out of Brooklyn NY that sells them at very reasonable prices.

Google Ronin uniforms and you will find a bunch of places.

Michael

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been using Ronin brand Judo Gi's for as long as I can remember in our Ju-Jitsu class(Japanese). Single weave or double either is good, albeit, double is a little warmer.

There is a place out of Brooklyn NY that sells them at very reasonable prices.

Google Ronin uniforms and you will find a bunch of places.

Michael

Exactly, In our old school, the Sensei used to sell Ronin Gi's from Kenji San in NY. A Good basic gi. about $50 a Gi.

They also make a nice Black Gi for around $100.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Exactly, In our old school, the Sensei used to sell Ronin Gi's from Kenji San in NY. A Good basic gi. about $50 a Gi.

They also make a nice Black Gi for around $100.

That's the place....Kinjisan!

I have the black single weave judo Gi, very well made and lasts a long time.

Michael

JohnASE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with the Ronin judo and jujitsu gis, but I know the karate gis are good quality at a good price. Ronin is Kinji San's brand. Here's a link to their judo/jujitsu page.
http://www.kinjisan.com/ju.html

As mentioned, Adidas has some great stuff for judo and jujitsu. As you might expect, you pay a bit more for a brand name. Kinji San has some Adidas gis listed on the page above.

For judo gis, HSU single weaves deserve some consideration. They're a little heavier than most singles, but not as bulky as double weaves. Of course, their double weaves are good too.
http://hsujudo.com/judoUniforms.html

Several of our jujitsu customers use judo gis, especially for beginners, but as other's have said, I'd check with the instructor on what they recommend.

Latest Discussions