JRE - Striking and BJJ

I wouldnt diss, bjj, i think its great with some notable limitations, but bjj guys just diss every thing but bjj
Pretty much yeah. Bjj guys seem to think what works on the mat will automatically work on the street and that a fight is exactly as a roll. Nope.

Heck even the Gracie's know you need striking....Royce Gracie is a shotokan black belt if I'm not mistaken and has trained Muay Thai. Renzo Gracie has also trained Muay Thai.

The whole 90% of fights go to the ground is pure propaganda. There's 0 statistical proof of that at all.

I have nothing against bjj at all. But the guys who think every fight will just be oh I'll just double leg and then rear naked choke them...nah not likely to be that easy

It's a much a better option than trying to grab an arm that's flailing around like crazy or using both your arms and your legs to try a leg lock which leaves you completely defenceless. I'm saying my ways going to work either. Being on the floor is a very dangerous place to be and either way your likely to take a beating but I'd much rather have the chance to actually fight back then just sit there with my legs around one guy while the others kick the hell out of me. Like the old saying goes. If I'm going out I'm going out fighting

Uh, who told you to try to "grab an arm that's flailing around" while in guard? Also every leg lock doesn't keep you completely defenseless. Some leg locks give you enough space between yourself and your attacker that they can't reach you.

Yeah, you're going to take a beating, but its pretty nuts to try to fight your way out of the bottom in the method you're describing. But to each their own.

And yes I have I really don't care if you believe me or not but I have done simple as that.

Okay.

Well no, but your mo, is to choose to go to the floor, which if there are two of them is frankly stupid,

Against two people? Probably not. Against two people I would more than likely use a throw or a standing choke or break.

Against two people? Probably not. Against two people I would more than likely use a throw or a standing choke or break.
So while you're standing choking this one guy what's the other guy doing? He stop for a smoke break?

So why not punch them instead ?

Because I don't want to break my hand, and punching leaves you open to counters.

Don't get me wrong, I've trained boxing and karate and I know how to punch, but honestly I think a better option is close the distance, clench and go from there.

Uh, who told you to try to "grab an arm that's flailing around" while in guard? Also every leg lock doesn't keep you completely defenseless. Some leg locks give you enough space between yourself and your attacker that they can't reach you.

Yeah, you're going to take a beating, but its pretty nuts to try to fight your way out of the bottom in the method you're describing. But to each their own.

Okay.
No one. Because arms aren't flailing around in bjj like they'd be in a fight. In bjj they're just trying to either grab your wrists, grab your collar, push your leg or grab your belt. In fight they're trying to punch you with pull power coming straight towards your face.

So while you're standing choking this one guy what's the other guy doing? He stop for a smoke break?

Why don't you tell me what he's doing? Let's say for example his buddy tried to tackle me, and I put him in a standing guillotine, what's his buddy doing?

No one. Because arms aren't flailing around in bjj like they'd be in a fight. In bjj they're just trying to either grab your wrists, grab your collar, push your leg or grab your belt. In fight they're trying to punch you with pull power coming straight towards your face.

So your Bjj gym never drilled or practiced getting socked in the face or punched while in guard?

For shame.

Why don't you tell me what he's doing? Let's say for example his buddy tried to tackle me, and I put him in a standing guillotine, what's his buddy doing?

So your Bjj gym never drilled or practiced getting socked in the face or punched while in guard?

For shame.
Um punching you in the head because your choking his friend....

Um punching you in the head because your choking his friend....

So why wouldn't I be moving around, putting his friend's body between myself and his buddy trying to sock me?

Common sense.

So why wouldn't I be moving around, putting his friend's body between myself and his buddy trying to sock me?

Common sense.

You know what else is common sense?

Shoot the hostage.

Or more in context - sweep my friend's legs out if you put him in the way.

Then hey, there's you trying to hold him up, that'll slow you down.

Because I don't want to break my hand, and punching leaves you open to counters.

Don't get me wrong, I've trained boxing and karate and I know how to punch, but honestly I think a better option is close the distance, clench and go from there.
So you atleast Admit that punching is a valid option, ?, which goes against what you have posted thus far, it only leaves you open to counters if you dont knock them over and clinching leaves you open to counters as well

You know what else is common sense?

Shoot the hostage.

Or more in context - sweep my friend's legs out if you put him in the way.

Then hey, there's you trying to hold him up, that'll slow you down.

Look at pictures of the standing guillotine to see that sweeping your friends leg isnt an option. Additionally he has about 5-10 seconds before he's unconscious, and then I'm coming after you.

So you atleast Admit that punching is a valid option, ?, which goes against what you have posted thus far, it only leaves you open to counters if you dont knock them over and clinching leaves you open to counters as well

Of course a punch is valid for SD. I never said differently.

Look at pictures of the standing guillotine to see that sweeping your friends leg isnt an option. Additionally he has about 5-10 seconds before he's unconscious, and then I'm coming after you.

Yeah, ok, whatever.

You seem to be of the opinion that you are absolutely impervious to striking because you can grapple.

Not only is that hugely overconfident, it's also crap.

I'm guessing you've never bothered to properly train a real striking art.

Oh, also...

You have "my friend" in a standing guillotine, that means both your hands are tied up and your head is completely exposed.

That means I can kick you in the side of the head, right behind your ear.

That's going to take a whole lot less than 5-10 seconds before you're unconscious and then you're coming after nobody.

The counter to grappling is grappling.
The counter to strikiing is striking or grappling.
I've successfully used striking as a counter to grappling. In 'street fights' as a teen, and against trained judoka in sparring.

Latest Discussions

Back