Jow, not just for iron palm but in general

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was just wondering the Jow people prefer. I love Lau Family Jow. I am sure that some of the herbs in there are essentially just a topical analgesic but once I discovered it I ignored the "hot" and "cold" stuff you see at "regular" pharmacies. It is practically a "miracle cure patent medicine" that actually lives up to the name.

My question is does anyone have another they prefer?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just wondering the Jow people prefer. I love Lau Family Jow. I am sure that some of the herbs in there are essentially just a topical analgesic but once I discovered it I ignored the "hot" and "cold" stuff you see at "regular" pharmacies. It is practically a "miracle cure patent medicine" that actually lives up to the name.

My question is does anyone have another they prefer?
I'm looking forward to hearing the responses. I've not had my hands on any proper Jow in a long time - probably a couple of decades. I should get some...I need it more now than I did then.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer home made recipes. But tiger balm was always a dojo staple. Home made seems to be more expensive to get the ingredients but you can customize it.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer home made recipes. But tiger balm was always a dojo staple. Home made seems to be more expensive to get the ingredients but you can customize it.

Lau is like that. You buy the herbs and mix it up yourself. What I like about it is that it is initially a little cool but only on initial contact but the pain still goes away.

Lau Family Die Da Jiu Fang - Plum Dragon Herbs

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jow is used when needed. We have family recipes that go back to China from my Sigung's teacher. We always have several (literally) gallons on hand & it works for what it's supposed to.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use Tiger balm and a jow from Dale Dugas called "Tiger exits the forest". Tiger balm is great for muscle pain, the jow works really well on bruises.

Dit Da Jow Liniments | Dr. Dale Dugas Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine

That is what I used to do but the Lau stuff actually works really well for muscle pain as well as occasional tendinitis even. I have occasional issues with my left wrist and a persistent issue with my right ankle due to an old injury. It works for both. I am thinking it's like a verbal version of aspercreme.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer Indonesian and southern Philippines Balur as it is so much easier on the skin. ie. it uses coconut oil Plus it seems to work better.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what I used to do but the Lau stuff actually works really well for muscle pain as well as occasional tendinitis even. I have occasional issues with my left wrist and a persistent issue with my right ankle due to an old injury. It works for both. I am thinking it's like a verbal version of aspercreme.
Verbal aspercreme...is that a new effect from a powerful kiai? :p

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get my jow from my acupuncturist, who gets it locally from a small-batch maker, I don't remember the name at the moment. Basically, I trust his judgement, so I use what he uses.

I've tried a few different ones, including one that gave me a rash. They are not all equal, so test a new on out to make sure you don't have an allergy to an ingredient.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol, damn autocorrect...HERBAL... Lol
-----------------------------------------------------
I have used some great stuff from Sothern Mantis great-Gin Foon Mak formulary reproduced by my late friend and Mak protégé- Pete Robinson. Actually two different jows= one for development and the other for bruises
From my understanding Dale Dugas also makes great jow-s

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me know if I can be of service.

813-285-1895

Latest Discussions