<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Kata and generalizing
By Lenny - 05-09-2011 05:57 AM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

I am wondering:
Kenpo SD-techniques are kata.

Why (besides the commercial reasons) are there additional forms in the system?
To point out specifics in the SD techs? To show how they could be combined?

Another thing I have not yet understood is the tendency to expand things. I'll try to explain what I mean:
In maths if you have the term 2a+4b you could reduce that to 2(4+2b) in Kenpo people seem to prefer to expand that to a+a+b+b+b+b and then show that there are different ways to get to the same result or partial result.

If using the "alphabet of motion" analogy, it's like saying "this is an 'a'" followed by "you can write it using a red pen. But also with a green pen. I have even seen it in yellow. You can write that 'a' on a piece of paper, or carve it into wood. If you use chalk you can write it on black board.", etc.

And while that's completely true I am not sure why this is needed.
I really like the connections between kenpo techs on a intellectual level (like this tech is like that tech just rotated 90 degrees, or it's like that tech just on a different height level, etc).

When it comes to actually getting better at the physical side of kenpo, what I need to take into account are basically stance, body alignment and power principles.

Wouldn't pointing out these elements directly instead of referencing a different technique be the better option? Wouldn't working on your basics, hitting the bag or makiwara help more than sitting over a table and cross referencing techs?

I'd love to hear your ideas on these topics. :sword2:

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Latest Discussions