John Pellegrini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hapkidoman

White Belt
Reaction score
Ego is the appropriate term, but then there is no lack of ego in the heads of Martial Arts Organizations, most of them either are or have become "Legends in their own Minds".

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ego is the appropriate term, but then there is no lack of ego in the heads of Martial Arts Organizations, most of them either are or have become "Legends in their own Minds".
Never been to a CHKD seminar, but when I called DSI to ask about CHKD and left a message, GMP returned my call personally and spent darned near an hour on the phone with a guy whom he didn't know from Adam.

My sole conversation with the man left me with the impression of a pretty down to earth guy who was decidedly not egotistical.

Daniel

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Leaders in any field have a strong ego. If not I doubt that they would have even been leaders

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never been to a CHKD seminar, but when I called DSI to ask about CHKD and left a message, GMP returned my call personally and spent darned near an hour on the phone with a guy whom he didn't know from Adam.

My sole conversation with the man left me with the impression of a pretty down to earth guy who was decidedly not egotistical.

Daniel

The details of that call may be found here: http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87066&page=4

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a rather old thread, but some of the comments jumped out at me for response;

Like I said, I'm not an expert on Hapkido, but didnt JP start off with traditional Hapkido and then modified it?

Many people question GMP for a variety of reasons. They don't like his rank. They don't like the time in which he progressed in rank. They don't like his system. Yada yada. I did a bit of research based upon a thread on my own board. Apparently, GM Myung, Kwang Sik (WHF) promoted GMP up to 6th Dan. And I believe the numerical progression exists. Most in Hapkido know the contribution and level of experience of GM Myung. So we have a choice to make; either GMP was sufficiently skilled in traditional Hapkido to earn in numerical progression up to 6th Dan in Hapkido from GM Myung or GM Myung and the WHF is a rank mill selling rank to anyone with enough cash. Take your pick. Then Seo, In Sun of the World Kido Federation granted him GM status in Hapkido. So again, the same question can be applied as I stated above.

Has GMP developed something that people want? Yes.

Has GMP developed an art that looks like it is standing the test of time? Yes.

Does GMP have students who find value in what he offers? Yes.

What else is needed then?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is incorrect.

Perhaps, but not according to the information that I have, from right here on MT. I have, however, sent an email requesting confirmation and/or additional information.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Perhaps, but not according to the information that I have, from right here on MT.
This is the first time that I have heard this. Please link the thread, as there are probably over a hundred GMP/CHKD threads on this board.

I have, however, sent an email requesting confirmation and/or additional information.
The only rank that I am specifically aware of is a gudan from Sun Seo. I know that he trained under GM Wolmerhauser, though I am not aware of any rank. Who ranked whom is ultimately unimportant at this point; the man runs his own organization and has created his own art. He can rank himself 30th dan if he so chooses. Either you (the general you, not you specifically) like what he's put together or you do not.

If a person doesn't like his system, then fine, but if that person is going to argue that the system is flawed on this board, then I request that they actually address what it is about CHKD as a system that they don't like. My biggest beef with CHKD detractors is that they most often have little to no familiarity with the system.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first time that I have heard this. Please link the thread, as there are probably over a hundred GMP/CHKD threads on this board.

Hi Daniel. Here is the link http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?12605-GM-Pellegrini-in-Black-Belt! Post #13 by Iron Ox. He doesn't appear to be a big fan of GMP. I sent him an email. He hasn't been active on the board since last year however. If I get a reply I'll be happy to comment on it.

Who ranked whom is ultimately unimportant at this point; the man runs his own organization and has created his own art. He can rank himself 30th dan if he so chooses. Either you (the general you, not you specifically) like what he's put together or you do not.

If a person doesn't like his system, then fine, but if that person is going to argue that the system is flawed on this board, then I request that they actually address what it is about CHKD as a system that they don't like. My biggest beef with CHKD detractors is that they most often have little to no familiarity with the system.

I agree with you completely. It is his art and his org so he can pretty much do as he pleases with it. As I mentioned earlier;

Kong Soo Do said:
Has GMP developed something that people want? Yes.

Has GMP developed an art that looks like it is standing the test of time? Yes.

Does GMP have students who find value in what he offers? Yes.

What else is needed then

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only rank that I am specifically aware of is a gudan from Sun Seo. I know that he trained under GM Wolmerhauser, though I am not aware of any rank. Who ranked whom is ultimately unimportant at this point

The World Hapkido Federation used to publish dan promotions in their newsletters, newsletters which I still have. I also remember seeing announcements of GM Pellegrini's promotions in Taekwondo Times. I can look it up if I really wanted to, but after reading your post, I am not motivated enough to go digging through bankers boxes. Like you said, who cares.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The World Hapkido Federation used to publish dan promotions in their newsletters, newsletters which I still have. I also remember seeing announcements of GM Pellegrini's promotions in Taekwondo Times. I can look it up if I really wanted to, but after reading your post, I am not motivated enough to go digging through bankers boxes. Like you said, who cares.
Well, I can name a good ten people on MT who care, but that wasn't my point.:) The man is the GM of a system that he has been developing for roughly a decade and a half. Whatever his lineage was prior to establishing CHKD, he has over fifteen years in as current GM of his system. He has is followers who are happy with what he is doing, and it is unlikely that they will get together and impeach him due to some deficiency in his promotion history. He's GM of CHKD for the rest of his life, so debunking his promotions prior to that serves only as a means to support negative criticism of his system and to take a jab at him personally.

I am personally not concerned about his rank; I do not train in his system and am not on the fence about doing so. Personally, I find the biggest obstacle to CHKD in the minds of many of his detractors is the delivery method, i.e. distance learning. Regardless of the legitimacy (or lack there of) of his rank, the video learning still rankles all of the same people, as does the slick marketing. Then there's the 'it isn't really hapkido' line of reasoning. Again, not having trained in his system, I have no comment regarding this.

There are MT members who train in his system and love it, most of whom are not novices in the arts. There are MT members who are definitely detractors, and who are not novices in the arts, but who do not train in his system. I am generally inclined to take the opinion of those with firsthand experience over those who have none. I see the former as being actually educated in the subject and the latter as essentially doing movie reviews after watching only the trailers.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I can name a good ten people on MT who care, but that wasn't my point.:)

Well, that's their problem. Let's not make it ours by getting sucked into the drama of it all. :)

The man is the GM of a system that he has been developing for roughly a decade and a half. Whatever his lineage was prior to establishing CHKD, he has over fifteen years in as current GM of his system.

I want to say that it's been twenty years now. 92 sticks in my head for some reason. For some reason I associate Combat Hapkido with the Barcelona Olympics.

He's GM of CHKD for the rest of his life, so debunking his promotions prior to that serves only as a means to support negative criticism of his system and to take a jab at him personally.

Or to take a jab at the senior who promoted him.... The person who promoted GM Pelligrini to Hapkido 1st Dan used to stay at my house when he visited Hawaii.

I am generally inclined to take the opinion of those with firsthand experience over those who have none. I see the former as being actually educated in the subject and the latter as essentially doing movie reviews after watching only the trailers.

First hand experience is always preferred to "research" conducted via google.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or to take a jab at the senior who promoted him....

I looked back at the thread. I don't see anyone taking a jab at any Hapkido seniors???

puunui said:

I absolutely agree 100%. I would add that it is preferred to getting one's information from banned trolls on internet boards as well. Perhaps it would be worthwhile for you to take a long look back through the WHF's promotion lists. Another good example of first hand experience;

Daniel Sullivan said:
There are MT members who train in his system and love it, most of whom are not novices in the arts.

Actually being in on at least several classes would give a much better perspective than simply discussing it on the net. Talking in earnest with the instructors and studenst of the system to form an educated opinion. It is easy to form a preconceived idea without actually knowing the person(s) and what their teaching has produced.

Good insight from both of you, thank you.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wait...are you saying information on the internet is not always correct...well crap there goes my whole Taekwondo history book I wrote. ;)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I looked back at the thread. I don't see anyone taking a jab at any Hapkido seniors???

If you say so.

I would add that it is preferred to getting one's information from banned trolls on internet boards as well.

Who is the banned troll on internet boards that you are referring to?

Perhaps it would be worthwhile for you to take a long look back through the WHF's promotion lists. Another good example of first hand experience;

Why would it be worthwhile for me to do that? Whose name would I see, yours?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait...are you saying information on the internet is not always correct...well crap there goes my whole Taekwondo history book I wrote. ;)

I'm sure you'll do fine Jeremy. I would image you have quite an extensive library :)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll do fine Jeremy. I would image you have quite an extensive library :)

A library is a start. More importantly, miguksaram has a korean wife, so he understands korean culture. He has also built relationships with seniors who can tell him exactly what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions