Joe Salazar, Yu Ko Ryu Hanshi

ykrhanshi

White Belt
Reaction score
Joe Salazar started martial arts training in 1948 at the Sears YMCA in Chicago, Illinois. He continued to train and study while in the U. S. Army from 1958 to 1964 and was a member of the U. S. Army Demonstration Team in Germany for Judo, Karate, and Jujitsu. He lived and trained in Utah for two years before moving to California in 1967. Mr. Salazar graduated from San Jose State University with a B. S. in Health Science and earned his B. S. in Law and J. D. from Saratoga University Law School. In 1974 he opened his first Ronin Dojo in Mountain View, California and instructed in Judo for the Palo Alto Community Recreation Department in 1975. He served as Karate Instructor for the Palo Alto YMCA in 1976 and 1977; he then served as Karate Director in 1978. He has also taught classes in Judo, Karate, and Self Defense for East Side Adult and Community Education in San Jose, California. Mr. Salazar has performed many demonstrations and seminars over the past fifty years and continues to be available for Instruction, lectures and demonstrations.

Member of United States Martial Arts Association

Highest rank certificates to date (10/12/2015):

Judo Hachidan (8th degree) 04/14/1984

Jujitsu Kudan (9th degree) 12/11/2005

Karate Kudan (9th degree) 11/12/2005

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you Joe Salazar, or are you informing us about Joe Salazar? I would assume the first, since you're posting this in the meet and greet, but referring to yourself as "he" seems...odd.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just a cut and paste from the web site for the organization he created.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't know you could get a bachelors degree in law. That's news to me. A law degree in the US is a graduate program. A paralegal certificate is not a bachelors degree, and can be completed at a community college. I'm not even sure if a paralegal certificate existed in the 1960s and 1970s.

Care to explain?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't put the Saratoga University Law School on your resume, if I was you.

Did you pass the California state bar?

Edit: there is a Joseph Anthony Salazar listed as an active member of the California Bar. That person went to law school at UCLA. This is not him. No others are listed.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk. Hope you enjoy it.

We do not allow fraud busting here, but there are some things in your c.v. that seem to me to warrant a raised eyebrow and a few questions. So...

Joe Salazar started martial arts training in 1948 at the Sears YMCA in Chicago, Illinois. He continued to train and study while in the U. S. Army from 1958 to 1964 and was a member of the U. S. Army Demonstration Team in Germany for Judo, Karate, and Jujitsu. He lived and trained in Utah for two years before moving to California in 1967.

So what, specifically, did you train in, under whom, and to what rank?

Mr. Salazar graduated from San Jose State University with a B. S. in Health Science and earned his B. S. in Law and J. D. from Saratoga University Law School.

I've never heard of a BS in law. As someone else mentioned, though, this and the JD degree are from a online correspondence school, which was established by a man who surrendered his license to practice law rather than face charges of malpractice, fraud, and totally screwing up many cases. Mail order degrees... this seems to be the educational version of the McDojo.

In 1974 he opened his first Ronin Dojo in Mountain View, California

What is a "Ronin Dojo?"

and instructed in Judo for the Palo Alto Community Recreation Department in 1975.

So the dojo was kaput in a year?

Member of United States Martial Arts Association

Highest rank certificates to date (10/12/2015):

Judo Hachidan (8th degree) 04/14/1984

Jujitsu Kudan (9th degree) 12/11/2005

Karate Kudan (9th degree) 11/12/2005

That's an impressive list. But, you know, "judo", "jujitsu", and "karate" are pretty generic terms. Which associations issued those ranks? What specific style of Karate/Jujitsu/Judo?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have them but he would have LLB ( Bachelor of Laws) and would need to re-qualify to do American law lol.
Yeah, I thought it worked a bit differently in Britain but this guy is here in California, not far from me, actually. I was just down in that area a couple days ago visiting the Orion Telescope store, picking up a couple new eyepieces for my Dobsonian. New toys for me, yay!!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. I hope we hear from Mr. Salazar again to clear this up, but my gut tells me we won't.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it worked a bit differently in Britain but this guy is here in California, not far from me, actually. I was just down in that area a couple days ago visiting the Orion Telescope store, picking up a couple new eyepieces for my Dobsonian. New toys for me, yay!!
Do you know the way to San Jose? :)

OP
ykrhanshi

ykrhanshi

White Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know you could get a bachelors degree in law. That's news to me. A law degree in the US is a graduate program. A paralegal certificate is not a bachelors degree, and can be completed at a community college. I'm not even sure if a paralegal certificate existed in the 1960s and 1970s.

Care to explain?
A B.A. or B.S. was a prerequisite, plus a satisfactory score on the LSAT, after completion of 2 years the B.S. in Law was issued, at the end of 4 years the J.D. was issued.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A B.A. or B.S. was a prerequisite, plus a satisfactory score on the LSAT, after completion of 2 years the B.S. in Law was issued, at the end of 4 years the J.D. was issued.
I am familiar with the process. That is not a bachelors degree in law. A law degree is a graduate degree. Yes, you need a bachelors degree first, but the bachelors is not a law degree.

I have several attorneys in my family, including my wife, my father-in-law, and my brother.

OP
ykrhanshi

ykrhanshi

White Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't put the Saratoga University Law School on your resume, if I was you.

Did you pass the California state bar?

Edit: there is a Joseph Anthony Salazar listed as an active member of the California Bar. That person went to law school at UCLA. This is not him. No others are listed.

1.I never became an attorney, I took an accounting teacher job.
2.Mr. Narkin did have some legal trouble with the CA Bar and moved to another state. I don't know the details of his case.
3.Distance programs are just as acceptable as residence programs, for those who only want to learn legal theory and case law, but not practice in a court room.
4.Having lawyers in the family isn't the same as reading thousands of words from hundreds of precedent setting cases.
5.The dojo was in place for 5 years then moved to another location.
6.My rank certificates were issued by Phil Porter.
7.Go to the website and read all the articles, buy the books and study them, then if there are any other questions they can be emailed to me directly, with your real name of course.

All those who have chosen the Asian Martial Arts way of life and read this forum, know that one who makes an unnecessary effort to find flaws and imperfections in others, is in doubt about his own courage and has low self esteem. This person is one who seeks validation by lowering others rather than raising himself. Feeling unable to attain the status and recognition of those he wishes to impress, he thinks he is a failure. Proper guidance in the training of body, mind and spirit can overcome and defeat this feeling. Many people serve in a military service and are trained in restoring self confidence and pride in self and others. Some who fit the defeatist description are revived by joining in some team effort and even become the best leaders.

Remember to write,

Sensei Joe

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am familiar with the process. That is not a bachelors degree in law. A law degree is a graduate degree. Yes, you need a bachelors degree first, but the bachelors is not a law degree.

I have several attorneys in my family, including my wife, my father-in-law, and my brother.
Bachelor's in Law was an older degree. Off the top of my head, I don't remember exactly how it fit, but it predated the JD that generally is awarded today.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions