JKD ranged stance

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Is there a resource for online images for the ranged fighting stance of JKD. The primary fighting stance has a lot but I am looking for the description(s) of the footwork, weight distribution etc... since it might be something that can be added to my PD's Defensive Tactics corriculum. The primary one we use now has been modified with the raising of the rear foot (onto the ball) fencing style thanks to research into JKD and other martial arts (thank you JKD) and that has led into this thread.

Not trying to clone JKD or anything else just looking for something that would be straight forward, fight oriented and easy to learn.

Thanks

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do a seach for "bai-jong stance."

There are some variations on the stance amongst the JKD community. From what I've seen, the rear heel is raised, but there's some differences on how much angle I've seen on the front foot. Many will have it angled inward to cause your lead knee to protect your groin. Others have it almost pointing forward for greater mobility.

Distance is typically shoulder width apart, with just about 50/50 weight distribution. There's typically a slight lean forward above the waist for a more agressive reach.

Hips are tucked like in the Wing Chun pidgeon toed stance, and chest/shoulders are concave. Rear hand guards the face, and lead hand is a little more forward than a typical boxer - shortening the distance for a strike.

At least that's how I've learned it.

Latest Discussions