Jkd instructor

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, so you’ve been training for something like three years? And watching matches on TV? When will you have your first match? You might gain a smidgen of credibility back.

I just told to you that you read it wrong.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
WAIT A MINUTE! You’ve been training for all of LESS THAN TWO WHOLE YEARS??! !

To see how you go on here, I thought by Thor, you must be a 30 year seasoned veteran! Wow, you had me fooled, you spoke with SUCH authority and conviction! And to find that YOU DONT EVEN COMPETE!! This is HILARIOUS!! 😂😂😂😂
Check out the post I made in the LPT

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok so now you're getting mad b/c I said that wasn't true.
Well no, I’m just pointing out that you have made a ridiculous claim that can only be supported through bias and contortionist logic. Are you surprised to get opposition? Did you expect the community to just nod our collective heads and agree with you?

If we are here to make ridiculous claims, I’ll have a go: the pinnacle of martial arts training is running a spear through a man’s face and seeing the tip explode out the back of his head while the hordes of Kublai Khan surge around me. How did I do? I think it’s almost as silly as your assertion, that mma competition represents the pinnacle of martial arts. Mine is certainly much more exciting.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know that there are more "worlds" than these. I even stated such. I'm merely saying that the world of MMA fighting is the higher level..
Even so, MMA has its own spectrum from good to bad. Video is out there, people will build cages out of chicken wire and people with PPV-fu MMA training will go to crazy town on each other. With an audience, beer, wings, the whole nine.

Besides, MMA itself is just a diversified set of TMA things that are both legal and potentially useful in (relatively safe-ish) sport. Like, no neck breaking please. Elbows to the eye ball is ok...you've got two of them for a reason.

No martial techniques were invented in the modern age, really. Just given names in various tongues. Ground guards? Roundhouse kicks? Chokes?? Nothing new Solaris, man.

I think untrained people are some of the most dangerous of all. It could be something as simple as the inability from lack of discipline to stop rolling right off a cliff. Ever seen Eye of the Needle?

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As it's mostly memorization + agility.
it's more than that. A lot of it is learning to do 2 or 3 things at the same time. It's almost like a "re-wiring" of the brain. A lot of CMA systems have movements that you have never done before in your life and then adds the challenge of doing 2 or 3 of those movements at the same time. The eyes understand what they see but the brain doesn't know how to make the body move in the same way. There's a lot of coordination involved which makes me wonder what the Kung fu vs MMA guys have been doing all this time and why their foot work is so bad. It's like they are trying to stand up in a rocking boat and I just don't see how footwork could be that bad if they are actually training it and using it.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
it's more than that. A lot of it is learning to do 2 or 3 things at the same time. It's almost like a "re-wiring" of the brain. A lot of CMA systems have movements that you have never done before in your life and then adds the challenge of doing 2 or 3 of those movements at the same time. The eyes understand what they see but the brain doesn't know how to make the body move in the same way. There's a lot of coordination involved which makes me wonder what the Kung fu vs MMA guys have been doing all this time and why their foot work is so bad. It's like they are trying to stand up in a rocking boat and I just don't see how footwork could be that bad if they are actually training it and using it.
I once helped run a class where guy with decent boxing skills showed up. He was relatively built and I could tell he was not a beginner. And with those types I was always super respectful, because I wanted them to stay. The training was hard.

One week of warmup Qigong was enough to drive him away. He was sweating and struggling to breathe so hard. I was stunned.

The lesson I learned is that some people like the basic back and forth, hit and defend, chess like martial arts practice like sparring(and I def do), but really don't enjoy the endurance and strength building parts which are the staple of the martial arts movie "training montage". That's my favorite stuff, whether it's Rocky, Drunken Master, or Better Off Dead (the ski movie with John Cusack and Booger). Whether it's carrying 80 lbs of water or holding a Kung Fu plank position for 30 minutes. That stuff is universally applicable.

This dude was no shrimp, but we never had the chance to spar (doh) because kung fu training can be really, really hard. As hard as you want, really.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, which one?
The last poster thread. Made the post about someone else yesterday (on a different site), but fully applicable here.
I read a comment chain of two people arguing on reddit earlier, and near the end one of them says that he does not have a degree in the field, hasn't taken courses or even studied it, and that's proof that the experts are dumb since even he knows something they disagree with. Then proceed to continue blathering his opinion as if it was fact.

Nice little reminder to not put too much stock in information from anonymous internet users.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I once helped run a class where guy with decent boxing skills showed up. He was relatively built and I could tell he was not a beginner. And with those types I was always super respectful, because I wanted them to stay. The training was hard.

One week of warmup Qigong was enough to drive him away. He was sweating and struggling to breathe so hard. I was stunned.
We had a guy that said he did boxing. I think I have him and his son on video. He didn't last long due to the coordination challenges. He didn't make it to the kung fu strength building and conditioning part. He lasted about 3 months I think. I really hope I still have that video. We often see good people training kung fu. We rarely see beginners go through the pain.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
We had a guy that said he did boxing. I think I have him and his son on video. He didn't last long due to the coordination challenges. He didn't make it to the kung fu strength building and conditioning part. He lasted about 3 months I think. I really hope I still have that video. We often see good people training kung fu. We rarely see beginners go through the pain.
I see lots of folks start out enthusiastic for about a month or two. Then when the pain train really hits 2 nd gear they quit. Even the young talented folks usually quit.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You obviously don't know the reasons why Cerrone said that nor what the reasons for hard sparring is for.

And Cerrone is somehow the Final Authority on how all fighters should train now? Now that's nonsense.
If you can be the final authority on why people don't train the way you think they should...

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you can be the final authority on why people don't train the way you think they should...

Because you touted Cerrone as some kind of final authority on hard sparring, not me. See the difference? Again, you don't really know why he trains the way he does now and what hard sparring is for. Especially when Cerrone was notorious for hard sparring; as well as most of the top gyms in the world that produces world Champions.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well no, I’m just pointing out that you have made a ridiculous claim that can only be supported through bias and contortionist logic. Are you surprised to get opposition? Did you expect the community to just nod our collective heads and agree with you?

If we are here to make ridiculous claims, I’ll have a go: the pinnacle of martial arts training is running a spear through a man’s face and seeing the tip explode out the back of his head while the hordes of Kublai Khan surge around me. How did I do? I think it’s almost as silly as your assertion, that mma competition represents the pinnacle of martial arts. Mine is certainly much more exciting.

Not what I said that you were getting mad about; so you read this one wrong also. Obviously it was the other one where you got really happy thinking that I said I've been training less than 3 years. It was pretty funny.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Even so, MMA has its own spectrum from good to bad. Video is out there, people will build cages out of chicken wire and people with PPV-fu MMA training will go to crazy town on each other. With an audience, beer, wings, the whole nine.

I'm talking about real athletes, proper training and serious competition.

Besides, MMA itself is just a diversified set of TMA things that are both legal and potentially useful in (relatively safe-ish) sport. Like, no neck breaking please. Elbows to the eye ball is ok...you've got two of them for a reason.

MMA athlete would know how to break someone's neck if it was legal.

No martial techniques were invented in the modern age, really. Just given names in various tongues. Ground guards? Roundhouse kicks? Chokes?? Nothing new Solaris, man.

Let's start with these 2 techniques: Iminari Roll & Berimbolo. Can you show proofs that these existed in history or even, 100 years ago?

I think untrained people are some of the most dangerous of all. It could be something as simple as the inability from lack of discipline to stop rolling right off a cliff. Ever seen Eye of the Needle?

Untrained people are pretty terrible at fighting. I like letting them swing full power at me when we spar, and not retaliate. I encourage my intermediate guys to do the same but at around 60% power....to prove to them that their training is working.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm talking about real athletes, proper training and serious competition.

MMA athlete would know how to break someone's neck if it was legal.

Let's start with these 2 techniques: Iminari Roll & Berimbolo. Can you show proofs that these existed in history or even, 100 years ago?

Untrained people are pretty terrible at fighting. I like letting them swing full power at me when we spar, and not retaliate. I encourage my intermediate guys to do the same but at around 60% power....to prove to them that their training is working.
So you're an MMA trainer somewhere?

Then why are you so busy cluttering up a JKD thread? Shouldn't you be, you know, off "encouraging your intermediate guys"?

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm sure it's not easy to win Kata Competitions, but I'm sure that it's mostly about athleticism. Full time MMA fighters are training 2-3 sessions a day, and working a job to live. Pretty sure if these MMA fighters trained 2-3 times a day doing kata, can figure it out and be great at it, if it paid real money.

And footwork is based on how someone fight. There's no exact footwork for MMA.

Latest Discussions