Jeff Speakman - Reversing Mace 5.0

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Although I am an American Kenpo noob this technique I believe has more related motion with repeating mace rather than reversing mace. My only question would be when the first kick to the attacker's left leg lands, I don't see any type of check to prevent unintended consiquences.

Chris

Kenpo Guy

White Belt
Reaction score
By unintended conciquences, do you mean negitive orbit ?. The hammer fist to the kidney is to cancel the hight, by rebounding with a hammer fist to the floating ribs helps cancel depth, which transfers weight to the rear leg. Making it easier to once again cancel the hight by kicking the front leg. Try this , get in a fighting stance, now drop your hips and bend your knees,now have someone kick your front leg. I think you'll find it hard to much,before that kick to the back leg. I hope this helps

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jeff Speakman is one of the best kenpoists out there, but this tech is highly dysfunctional. In order for the first block to succeed, the attacker must be firing a massive left straight...not a jab or even a thrust punch. Why? The jab retracts too fast and so does the thrust punch. The very fact that you have to double parry off of the massive left straight immediately and very very severely hamstrings this tech's functionality and practicality from the beginning. All of the rest of the stuff from there is comprised of mounting ridiculousness and uselessness, especially the lead kick to the lead leg followed by kicking out the rear leg.

Functionalize the training and tech looks remarkably different and most importantly? IT WORKS. I'm putting up on youtube my various expressions of Kenpo's IP and you will get a chance to look at my Reversing Mace soon; I'll be doing Orange Belt techs starting next week.