Japanese Jujitsu Dojo

Roosterpickman

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking at a few schools around Houston for something open handed and I've always been more interested in Judo or Japanese Jujitsu. There is this dojo that has a long history here and I was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about it.

I reached out them with some questions but haven't heard back yet. If there are any Traditional Jujitsu folks here this school has a few YouTube videos and a facebook if you wanna look them up to maybe form an opinion.

Thanks y'all

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just took a look at their website and their YouTube videos.

To begin with, I wouldn't really call what they do exactly traditional or Japanese. They appear to be practicing a modern American eclectic blend of various arts, primarily Judo, Karate and Aikido, with various cultural trappings and titles which have evolved through enough generations that they are significantly removed from the original Japanese usage. (This is fairly common among American schools which advertise themselves as traditional Japanese Jujutsu. It doesn't necessarily indicate dishonesty - just that most martial artists aren't exactly historians and are simply passing on whatever explanation of the art that their instructor told to them.)

BTW - "Japanese Jujitsu" is not the name of an art. It's the name of a large family of arts, both old and new. Actual Japanese jujutsu systems each have their own unique name. From what I can determine online, the art taught at this school is probably Ju Kido Kai Ryu Modern Vee Jitsu Ju Jitsu, Arnis, and Karate-Do, a creation of a gentleman named Jose Velez. That's unless the head instructor has broken away from Mr. Velez to "found" his own system. This is a possibility judging by the "Grandmaster" title he touts on the instructor page of the website. "Grandmaster" is typically a term self-awarded by instructors in the West who create their own systems.

None of this is a judgment on the quality of the martial arts they teach. For that I have to go to their one video on YouTube with black belt practitioners demonstrating techniques. Based on that ... I would look elsewhere for instruction. The technical level on display is not very high. You can probably find schools of various martial arts in the Houston area that do a much better job of teaching the same techniques.

OP
R

Roosterpickman

White Belt
Reaction score
Just took a look at their website and their YouTube videos.

To begin with, I wouldn't really call what they do exactly traditional or Japanese. They appear to be practicing a modern American eclectic blend of various arts, primarily Judo, Karate and Aikido, with various cultural trappings and titles which have evolved through enough generations that they are significantly removed from the original Japanese usage. (This is fairly common among American schools which advertise themselves as traditional Japanese Jujutsu. It doesn't necessarily indicate dishonesty - just that most martial artists aren't exactly historians and are simply passing on whatever explanation of the art that their instructor told to them.)

BTW - "Japanese Jujitsu" is not the name of an art. It's the name of a large family of arts, both old and new. Actual Japanese jujutsu systems each have their own unique name. From what I can determine online, the art taught at this school is probably Ju Kido Kai Ryu Modern Vee Jitsu Ju Jitsu, Arnis, and Karate-Do, a creation of a gentleman named Jose Velez. That's unless the head instructor has broken away from Mr. Velez to "found" his own system. This is a possibility judging by the "Grandmaster" title he touts on the instructor page of the website. "Grandmaster" is typically a term self-awarded by instructors in the West who create their own systems.

None of this is a judgment on the quality of the martial arts they teach. For that I have to go to their one video on YouTube with black belt practitioners demonstrating techniques. Based on that ... I would look elsewhere for instruction. The technical level on display is not very high. You can probably find schools of various martial arts in the Houston area that do a much better job of teaching the same techniques.
That's kinda of what I suspected. I saw the same video and it looked like weak awkward Akido to me. But I lack knowledge and thought maybe there was something to it i was not catching.

I haven't heard anything back from them and the email I sent is the kind that if they don't reply I know why. I have sent the same email questions before to other schools and I know the places that reply back and give honest answers are usually on the up and up. Then there are the places that just reply just come in and we can talk. Or they just never reply.

The problem I have where I am is there are a lot of good schools in Houston. But they are so far away, and then most conflict with my Kendo class. This school was on the right days and was only about 35 minutes away. With traffic, trying to get somewhere to be lined up in class by 6pm will take well over an hour. Makes it kinda hard to try to make the time and travel so much.

So thank you for your answer, you basically said what I suppected. I'll just keep searching.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been told that the instructor moved to Colorado for work. They offer a Hapkido class at the Huntsville campus, but that’s not what you are looking for. Sorry that I couldn’t help.

OP
R

Roosterpickman

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been told that the instructor moved to Colorado for work. They offer a Hapkido class at the Huntsville campus, but that’s not what you are looking for. Sorry that I couldn’t help.
Hey no worries I really appreciate you checking.

OP
R

Roosterpickman

White Belt
Reaction score
So this dojo is just down the road to me but the schedule conflicts with my Work and Kendo class. I would only be able to go one day a week.

I actually went and talked to them awhile back and got to watch a class. They don't force you to buy any equipment through them, you can buy whatever GI you want and don't have to wear the dojo Mon or anything like that. There is no contract, everything is month to month. Plus no first time upfront initiation fee.

Place seemed solid, and for 100 a month I was game. But things got in the way, at work, home and I had to change Kendo schools. I don't know, I'm thinking I should try to make this work with them.

Thanks again everyone.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a list of arts that you are interested in, or is traditional JJ the only art that you are interested in?

Latest Discussions